Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Korean Guards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Korean Guards

A lot as been said about the way the Japanese treated the pows but we was also badly treated by the Koreans and also the Indians some of them who turned over to the Japanese
    In the last few months of the war it was mainly the Koreans who was in charge of some of the working parties
    i can remember a mate of mine (Barry Lane )who refused to salute one the Indian Guards as we was going in out on a working party he was taken out and given a beating .

Tony Morcom Guest

Default Memories

Keep those memories coming Lou. Nearly pressed the "Like" button but somehow seems not very appropriate ~ however you know what I mean. "Your" book (Hell or High Water) should be arriving tomorrow and looking forward to reading your story and others.

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default korean guards

HI LOU, I was not aware Indians changed sides with the Nips, many Indians captured were enlisted by the Germans, sent back to India to fight the British, as soon as they got back to India thy just disappeared, crafty lot. i know many Koreans were Guards for POW camps, the nips forced thousands of Korean Girl to become Prostitutes for there Troops, Korea is now seeking reparations and an apology.
    Tony Wilding

leratty Guest

Charles was that Indian guard part of the Indian army raised by the Japanese as i recall from history (many were deserters from the Indian Army) they were the beginning of the Indian Independence movement. Their political leaders not in concert with Gandhi or his opposite No in that movement as to 'non violence'to achieve their ends? I do not know what happened to them after the war but do know a lot of them were woman & from Singapore-Malaysia. They had a quite famous commanding officer was I think executed by the British what for am unsure?
    Koreans were from what I have read by far the worst as to cruelty towards prisoners, that is not to say the Japanese were not also. In Bertrand Russell's 'Knights of Bushido ' he is quite strong about their role in war crimes. Interesting there were many Korean 'comfort' women with the Japanese army even as far away as Papua New Guinea. Richard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Lou,
    I have just finished reading *hell or high water*, you guys certainly had some things to put up with. It puts my time in the MN into perspective, we certainly had it good. I read the book on my kindle, what a difference in time scale, where you can download a book in about 15 seconds!!!, glad that its all down and recorded memories now, best regards KT

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Lou

Who wrote the book " Camp on Blood Island" remember reading parts of it years ago. The minister who married us in 1962, was mentioned in it the Rev Webb, who at the time was a young army chaplain. He was minister at the local presterpryan church were he was well thought of.He had to draw me a plan of the lay out of church inside as had never been inside before being married there. He never insisted I do so and was very down to earth. He must be a long time dead by now. Both my kids were christened there and am ashamed to say I was away at time and never ever got round to being a member of his church. One of the few things I regret not doing getting better aquainted with him. Reminds me is 51 wedding anniversary in 2 weeks. Best regards John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

amazing how times change, during and after the War we built hundreds of Ships, Korea was a poor Country, now build the most Ships and an affluent Country, the Capital City is very modern. i wonder if the Korean Guards volunteered to join the Japanese Army, were they restricted to being guards only, ?
    Tony Wilding

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Korean Guards

In reply to a couple of these post as far as i know the Koreans was not voluntary into the Japanese army .Korea had been ruled by them so i should imagine that they would be conscripted into their army
    As forthe Indians i think they called it the Indian free Army and the leader i think is name was Chandri Bose some name like that Mind you not all the Indians turned over to the Japs

leratty Guest

There was a very good book by an Australian called Russell Brandon I think titled 'Naked' something? It made him writing wise, very successful as well as famous. From recollection he was a prisoner of the Japanese & the book is his if you will his recollection of this time in his life. Apparently he was not a very pleasant person pretty arrogant? There are many many books out there on this side of the war in the East the most ironic part of this & there surge over last fifteen or so years, certainly in Aus anyway as to the Bridge Over River Kwai etc is that the pilgrimage they make to the bridge which is in fact not the bridge at all. It was destroyed after the war so the canny Thais cobbled together the one that is seen. More interesting it is not even in the correct position..... but they the visitors never know this. Of course the cut etc is.

Charles I reckon that name is correct & for sure no way did the Indians even in large numbers cross over to the Japanese, they did more than their share of fighting! Look at the first defeat of the Japanese at Kohima - Imphal in-on Burma-India border. This was one of the most tremendous fights during WW2 almost hand to hand for many many days. We have been there the aura is enough to take your breath away let alone the humidity. It is truly mind blowing to see the memorial which is kept in such a beautiful state by the war Graves Com. Sadly this sector of WW2 is much under appreciated or if you prefer publicised. Bravery beyond what we can even imagine & the UK troops I should know the regimant along with Indian were lions! The retreat this caused the Japanese to undertake out of Burma was a horror trek too well worth a read. Oh I think you may be incorrect re "as far as i know the Koreans was not voluntary into the Japanese army " possibly the comfort girls to some degree but in the main the soldiers & guards etc were only too happy to be part of what they believed was the all concquering army. Richard
    Last edited by leratty; 10th January 2013 at 08:07 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I believe the Indian and Ghurka soldiers won more Victoria Crosses for Bravery fighting the Japanese than any other Nationality, many after giving there lives, the war in Burma was viscious, most at close quarters, how they fought in that humidity i do not know, unless you have experienced the Jungle there its impossible to visualise.
    Tony Wilding

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast