Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Aussie Bush Fires

leratty Guest

It is mind blowing that yet again they are saying that number of these fires have possibly been started by 'fire bugs?' How can they be controlled or stopped I do not know, certainly not tougher sentences they seem not to be a cure? Years ago I read an article on pyromaniacs & as odd as it seems it is apparently a sexual problem, not too sure how the medicos came up with that but interesting anyway. We always think not just of the human as well as of course material cost-toll but also the animals, birds, insects, trees etc. On saying that we also of course know that burn off's were a common way for the Aboriginals to regenerate the land so if not lit by the pyromaniacs, maybe it is just the great cycle of life? We hope all get through it & without loss of life though those tempretures sound pretty draining.

Doc V Blackheath is a beautiful little hamlet up in the delightful Blue Mountains (believe the Hydro Majestic has been restored?) lovely old houses from our memory & one or two pretty good restaurants too. Is the Fork n View still operating, my God that is a long time ago the golf course was pretty good & there was a terrific little pub too? Richard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Fires

[QUOTE=leratty;114118]Years ago I read an article on pyromaniacs & as odd as it seems it is apparently a sexual problem, not too sure how the medicos came up with that but interesting anyway.

Not really a subject for levity, but the association is probably in the name, because I know a couple of bushes set me alight on occasions.

There is no hope that the fire-setters will receive appropriate sentences, as the do gooders will protest that they had a misguided childhood and suffered at the hands of their peers or parents, which seems to be the trend of pleas by the defence lawyers. I was bombed out three times by the Germans, it didn't make me a thug or misguided, quite the opposite, it made me appreciate the life of myself and others.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Richard (leratty)
    First of all yes it must have been some time ago ,as that Fork n View is no longer around, the Golf Course is still going strong,and its a very lovely Course too!
    The Clubhouse has also been renovated and looks good,a nice place to go for a Lunch or Dinner !
    The Hydro Majestic Hotel is unfortunately still stamding empty,its been now nearly three Years since the last owners sold up,i think they went bust!?
    Anyway someone else apparently bought it and was supposed to start renovations to be ready bu November 2012,well as yet not much at all has been done and when i drive by to go shopping in Katoomba,i never even see any work going on,so lord alone knows what is going to happen!
    What a great pity it would be if it were not to be used again! What a lovely Building,with magnificent views now no one can even get in to see those views!
    Possibly Richard who lives in Katoomba may know a bit more on it!??

Now not to overide your post on the Firebugs ,you mention that Tougher Sentences wont help?
    There i fear i must disagree with you,(just my opinion) but so far the Idiots that have started these and many other Fires in the past,have got awy with sentences that would be given to someone who did a bit of shoplifting here!
    No i feel that really tough sentences are the thing to do now,as that will certainly make these crackpots think twice!
    I did read recently however that the Law now is getting much tougher on these Idiots,and hopefully most of them when caught will get the Max.sentence possible! I say minimum of 20 Years,where there are no deathes nvolved,and life for those that do cause death ! Throw the bleedin Key away!!
    Oh well have said my peace haha!
    Cheers
    Doc Vernon
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 13th January 2013 at 03:44 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just shoot that bastards on sight.
    That will stop `em .
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Bureau of Meteorology

The Bureau of Meteorology warned today was just the start of a series of heatwaves that would cripple the state for the rest of summer.

Arsonists caught lighting fires during today's total fire ban face a maximum 25-year prison sentence and fines of up to $110,000. Premier Barry O'Farrell urged the community to be on the lookout for arson activity and report any suspicious behaviour: "NSW is facing one of its worst fire danger days on record (and) sadly, some people may think this is a time to engage in criminal behaviour and recklessly endanger lives and property by lighting fires.
    Those who intentionally light a fire also face jail terms of up to 14 years, increasing to 25 years if someone dies as a result of the fire.
    "People who are even momentarily tempted to light a fire should take note of these penalties and think again.

"Police will not hesitate to throw the book at those who want to put the safety of the community at risk.

Expecting 45 Degree Tempretures on Saturday in Penrith,and 37 drgrees in Blackheath,this willbe the Hottest we have had here! A new record for the Heat in Blackheath!
    Penrith Forecast

Tonight 23°C
    Tomorrow 45°C

Blackheath Weather

33.64°S 150.28°E 1067m AMSL

Katoomba Forecast

Tonight 20°C
    Tomorrow 37°C
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 11th January 2013 at 10:00 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, unfortunately the arsonists are street wise miss-fits masquerading as children and are 'protected'. Perhaps there will be enough anger to get the politicians to legislate some appropriate discipline. Not holding my breath though!
    Richard Q
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bush fires

A phenonoma not only to Australia, but to other parts of the world as well. Is very sad when you see loss of life and property from such. As Australia recently and is still trying to sell the population as regards a Carbon Tax to Industry with all the offshoots of making the cost of living rise also. I wonder no green politician hasnt come out and said what sort of percentage overall does this yearly event of fire have in general in the amount of pollution it causes or are they trying to figure out a way of taxing somebody, as by G.. i wouldnt mind betting they need the money to fill some of the huge crevices we will see in the not too distant future. I should imagine the greens with their attendant pro pollution so called scientists would not rather talk about it. There must however be some department keeping figures as such on this type of pollution. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Aussies Bush Fires

My eldest son now retired worked all is working life in the Dept of Conservation as a ranger then as a fire Chief for the biggest part of the Central Otago region and as told me that a lot of fire are caused by people who are just plain careless .
    We know that the fires in Aussie are a thing are a lot bigger the we have in NZ and the heat is a lot more intense and maybe they have more careless people ???

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brian.
    Your idea of shooting the arsonists is something my wife and I agree with, I think once a total fire ban has been anounced police should have the right to shoot anyone [CAUGHT BY THEM] them lighting fires, in the States and other countries they shoot looters dont they ?
    Down here in Cooma today it's overcast trying to rain and a cool 23degrees, still a big fire in the Keybeane Valley 20 kilometers to the East of Cooma but the weather is helping the firies, just hope it pours down.
    Cheers Des

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4