Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Merchant navy day: Worldwide.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ken, I was there then when Prescott was there, His Security men got me over the rails by the water, at the back of the Memorial , all I did was shout to him that I wanted to speak to him.
    Where you there when I read the Mersey Memories speech in 2009 in church. ?
    Cheers , Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default merchant Navy .Worldwide

Merchant Day in Dunedin a get together at the Southern Tavern then on the Sunday 11th september a church service will be held with the Red Ensign to march in with ex MN guys

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Kieth.
    Merchant Navy Day Rememberance Service
    Monday Sept 3rd. 11am at the Mosman Cenataph. Mosman War Memorial Myahgah Rd,Sydney
    This year a new plaque mounted on a stone in the new garden will be unveiled at a special ceremony on the day.
    Unfortunatly it is too far away for me to attend, but there will be many ex seamen there.
    Cheers Des.
    Lest We Forget

redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will be at Redcar for their service on Monday at the memorial garden. The main annual parade along the sea front the following week has been cancelled due to the ongoing work along the promanade. Will be at Tower Hill for the national parade on the 16th.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default John Presscot

Brian,the date when John Presscot unveiled the Merchant Navy Monument was scold damp October morning 1998,he was late getting there,some people were calling him a scab in the 1960 strike,his heavies moved in to huch them up,started talking about his time with the Cunard.lots of people say he was a scab then,was union delicate then and we know what union leader Yates sold us up the River.Was at the service when you done your speech.Late.Captain Woodall was always there Cunard Captain good Man,may hi R.I.P.Take Care from Ken.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Thanks to all:

Will attempt to add all tributes / dates to the main list:

HOPEFULLY, WILL FIND MORE BEFORE AND PRESS REPORTS LATER:

K.

TOWER HILL

Behind each name a story lies
    A seaman lost, a hero dies,
    Duty wrought across the waves
    A tale unheard in ocean graves.

Joe Earl

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Headstones:

Remember me as you pass by,
    As you are now, so once was I,
    As I am now, so you will be,
    Prepare for death and follow me.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Merchant navy day Worldwide

They rang me last night and ask me if i would lay the wreath for the MN i said it would be a honour to do that

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Lochmaben:

The Royal Burgh of Lochmaben is a small town in the southwest of Scotland, 4 miles west of Lockerbie and 8 miles east of Dumfries.

Merchant Navy Day--3 Sept

For the first time the Red Ensign will fly on the Lochmaben Town flagpole on Monday 3 September--the annual Merchant Navy Day.

Alistair Brown has finally got permission to fly the Red Ensign on the Town Hall to mark Merchant Navy Day. This is a reminder of how much we owe to the seamen of the Merchant Navy both during the World Wars and in peacetime. We take forgranted that our shelves are filled with food, electrical goods , raw materials for industry and oil to run the country.

LINK: Lochmaben Community Website - News

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Sulphur Point: (NZ)

Lt. Col. Woodman described the composition of the New Zealand Navy during the war years as being at once older and younger than the army. He attributed this to the fact youngsters, barely in their teenage years, would often be granted positions such as deckhand in the navy before their peers would be admitted into the army.

"He also noted that the achievements of those who served at sea were far more difficult to assess than those who fought on land. The sea, he reasoned, holds many secrets".

Old and new on Merchant Navy Day:

About 150 people braved a bitterly cold and blustery northeasterly to attend the third Merchant Navy Day commemoration at Sulphur Point today.

The wind, forecast to reach 20 knots, proved unfortunate but fitting, and had the flags tended to by the Tauranga Sea Cadets blowing proudly throughout the ceremony which lasted for about half an hour.

LINK: SunLive - Old and new on Merchant Navy Day - The Bay's News First

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast