Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: ships biscuits

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Can you tell us a little about the voyage Lou and how you were sunk? Was it in the Atlantic? What type of ship were you on?
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Duke,
    I got to know about Lou`s ship, Gloucester Castle, because a family friend, a 17 year old Deck Boy , Joe Farnworth was with Lou, but sadly went down with the ship. with around 93 other Seamen and passengers. just South of Ascencion Island.
    When I was on QE2 in 2001, I took a Merchant Navy wreath with me and on our trip to Cape Town I asked Captain Ron Warwick to let me know when we were in position over the Gloucester Castle, he kindly arranged a Service on deck and then the wreath was cast into the sea. Joe Farnworth`s family were happy that at last a service had been done over their watery grave.
    I think Lou must be about the last of the survivors. and hope to meet him in Dunedin on 23 February.
    But Lou`s story is an incredble one of survival in extreme conditions and only he can tell it.
    Cheers
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for sharing that Brian, I appreciate it. I hope that you hook up with Lou and tell us about it.
    Thanks again.
    Duke Drennan R809731

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back to the German supply ship there was one time that the germans allowed us on deck it was somewhere in the south atlantic i think it was more of a show off by them as there were six german ships together there was two raiders the MICHEL and the STIER two supply ships and two U BOATS the STIER shipped over to the charlotte schliemannsome more survivors off a ship the DALHOUSIE that was to increase the number to about three hundred so we was pretty cramped up the jerrys gave us cigarettes but to keep our moral up we had a type of concert and the germans gave a piano accordian and one of the pows could play it it was very suprising of the very good singers there were i remember one of the dems of the GC a welshman he had a really good voice even the jerrys use to listen to him we each had to take a turn a doing something it was something to keep us happy in the state was in

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2