Thread: Capetown

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Capetown

Capetown was to be my very first for foreign port that i got to go ashore in being nearly 15 years old i was gob smacked my mate and i johny mcnab thought it was bloody great this was about early febuary1941 no beer as we was told not to drink but glasses of milk and all the good things that was not on the menu in the uk at that time i was to sail into Capetown a few times the last time i sailed into Capetown was about febuary 1942 we was on our way home my mate and i was coming back to the ship after being to the movies and the night watchman told me that my father was looking for me he was on one of the court ship i think itwas the Pennington court it was just laying across the other side of the wharf so off i went and went aboard her asked one of the guys about my step father of he went the next thing the old man comes up he was a fireman and it was a coal burner we was to have a day together it was the last i was to see him till late 1945 i loved Capetown and also Durban

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cape Town and Durban

Hi Louis
    I think Cape Town and Durban were to many great Ports to go ashore in those days,most as i have heard found the people very friendly and helpfull,and as you mention the Foods were great!
    The time you are talking about of course i wouldnt have known much about being only a lighty at 2 Years of age in 1942!
    But the future Years that i do recall of Cape Town especially are for me some of the most memorable of my entire life!
    Still Today it is rated as one of the most popular Tourist places!
    Must have been a great Buzz to see your Father there too!
    Very similar thing happened to me but in Southampton,seeing my real Dad after a break of some 5 Yearss as well!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cape Town and Durban, yes two of the worlds great places to stop at. The people I always found were very accomodating, particularly some of the ladies. The grog was some of the best around, KWV, what can beat that? Great night spots with such nautical names to enhance us all, that is why it was called the Navigators Den. Bars with cellings that moved without the need for excessive refreshmenst and some of the ladies would be only too pelased to give you a little something as a reminder of your visit.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Tony Morcom Guest

I had a 2nd honeymoon in Capetown back in 77 courtesy of Houlders. They flew us out but the ship was delayed for 8 days. We had a wonderful time but my only regret was not getting to see then finer points of the great port, if you get my meaning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, As i have said in a previous thread, i recently visited Capetown for a 14 day stay, saw more things i that 14 days than 12 visits on Castle boats. It sure is a lovely place to holiday now, and without the lure of all those nightclubs from seafaring days, went to the district 6 museum which was an eyeopener, had a great safari experience at Inver Doorn. I hope to holiday there again soon, fantastic wines now, and all at a reasonable price. Keith Tindell

7. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post