Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Saguenay Shipping

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Saguenay Shipping

#9... Tom as you seem to have re-emerged after your first post, I thought at first I was answering a post for the first time but see that I replied to the original one with same info. or just about... sorry. However, how did you get the job with Saguenay, I went through John Kilgours in London who were recruiting for same. The part of Saguenay I was working for was owned by Alcoa and Alcan I believe. Was a 12 month contract and at that time late 66 were paying the mate if I remember correctly 650 dollars U.S. a month, and at 2.40 to the pound was well above the BOT rate. As mate on a British ship was on 101.12/6d a month with 27 pounds 2 and 6d. in lieu of overtime. Which spent more overtime making out the overtime sheets for everyone else every week. I had just previously to this been after a job on the Thames Sludge vessels but was knocked back as too fit, and was given to people who had any disability which prevented going deep sea. I was also on the short list for the cable ships (Wireless) originally told was too old after 28, and after accepting job with Saguenay and going out to Canada they came back and said they would waive the age restriction. Also on the short list for a job at St. Johns College of Fisheries in Newfoundland which also came up after accepting Saguenays job. So was a busy time in my life and could have gone other ways, would probably be living somewhere in Canada now instead of Australia. Still those days weren't too bad until the evil 70"s came along. Cheers all the best. John Sabourn
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th December 2014 at 06:34 AM.

2. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Saguenay Shipping

With ref to this post about Saguenay Terminals. I was under the impression that all their vessels including those on long term time charter, were all Hull painted Green, and superstructures Silver. Being aluminium paint soogying didnt do much and was just as quick to push a roller over with silver paint after washing down. This was the way we kept her looking halfway respectable between discharging bauxite at port Alfred and arriving Montreal the following day to commence loading passengers and general cargo. As regards the companies colours was anyone else only on voyage charter to same and did not display the Silver and Green. Cheers John S

4. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: j.sabourn

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Hi Tom, I was Ch.Off.on Sunprincess from 27.12.66 to 10.10.67. Thereafter the ship went to the knackers yard in Taiwan. Our run was General from Montreal to Trinidad and all the Islands on the way down, and Bauxite back for Port Alfred. Very interesting time of my life. Wine women and song. Ha. Cheers John Sabourn.
    I don't suppose you have a record of the individual trips? I'm interested in a voyage from Montreal to Avonmouth May 19 to May 28, 1964. Or a picture of the ship. Couple more questions. Did it have accommodation for 12 passengers? Does anyone, the company or port authorities, keep a record of the passenger manifest?
    Last edited by Frank Hilliard; 4th November 2018 at 04:50 PM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2