Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Was Lawrence on the ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Was Lawrence on the ship

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post
    Hi Susan , it is highly unlikely Lawrence was aboard Anselm when the ship was torpedoed. He came home on this ship as DBS , Distressed British Seaman. You say from Durban South Africa , Keith's research shows Freetown West Africa. Either way he would need time at home to rest and recover also he would have lost everything when Surat was torpedoed including his discharge book and certificates that he would need before shipping out again , it takes time for these to be replaced.
    Lou.
    There was nearly a two month gap between both sinking's, so he could have easily have been on the Anselm when lost. Like Doc mentioned the best course of action would be to get hold of his CRS10 service file from Kew as this would show each ship he served on during the war and the dates. It is possible it would also detail a "Sealot" number for him coming home from Freetown naming the ship he came back on as a DBS and then possibly joining the Anselm as his next ship.

Just as a back up in case his service file no longer exists, you could check copies of the Log Book & Crew Agreements for both ships held at Kew under the ships Official No. Surat ON. 166621 1941 Crew Agreements are held in BT 381/1671 and the Anselm ON. 164275 Crew Agreements are held in BT 381/1609

Just as a footnote to Discharge Books. I have seen many a copy of ships Crew Agreements from the war where no Discharge Book was produced on joining a ship and it was not a necessity on joining.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Billy in Keith's research he came home from Freetown on Anselm departing May 10 1941 arriving Liverpool June 04 1941 , as DBS.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

I take no credit for research, #4 has a link to British Genealogy & Family History Forums
    and is from 2016, added in case it is useful.

My usual source was not fruitful hence a search to see if searches had been done before.

Very often older enquiries do turn up some relevant info. Hope all helps.

Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm so grateful for all your replies. Of course it's the same old story my husband wished he had spoken to his Dad more about his time in the Merchant Navy. It was the same for me as my Dad was rear gunner in the Lancaster bombers.
    He didn't speak much about his time doing that but when he did, did i take notice as a young girl? NO. Obviously a lesson to be learned there. I will follow up your advice and hopefully get a result.
    Thanks to all.
    Susan.

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Louis the fly liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14... Susan just a question slightly out of tilt , your own Dad and your pre married surname wasn’t Atkinson was it.? Just a one in a million shot in the dark. Regards JS. PS if on the extreme rarity of it being so your fathers first would have been Norman. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th March 2019 at 06:41 AM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #14... Susan just a question slightly out of tilt , your own Dad and your pre married surname wasn’t Atkinson was it.? Just a one in a million shot in the dark. Regards JS. PS if on the extreme rarity of it being so your fathers first would have been Norman. JS
    No sorry. My maiden name was Wiles.

10. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The reason I asked was because a certain person I knew in my working life was a tail end gunner in Lancaster bombers. His immediate boss and also mine was called Blackadder beleive it or not , not the TV one I might add. For some obvious reason he got nicknamed well out of his hearing as ... the negro accountant. He had been the tail gunners pilot when flying, and he went with him into civilian life still working for him. Regards JS

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have found a few copies of Cerificates for Gunnery courses for Colombo, Madras and London. Also a note from years ago saying Lawrence was on the Imperial Valley 31st October 1945 arriving in New York.
    The note says he was possibly a passenger , a DBS. This doesn't help in the question of the Anselm but i will take the advice you have given me and make a trip to Kew in the very near future.
    Thanks.

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2