Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Hi Everyone

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hi Everyone

####maria many seamen jumped ship and started lives in oz or kiwi ....in the 40s and 50s it was very common ..a few on this site jumped ship or to use our term for it we skinned out .....i myself did this in 58 as a young man due to falling for a fine young oz girl......sadly her father did not want her with a merchant seaman and sent her overnite to queensland that was many thousand miles from wallaroo where i had jumped from .....i was caught on my way to adelaide after being on the run as an illegal emigrant and put before the locall magistrate ..who informed me he had jumped a sailing vessel in 1926 and had done ok in oz as he was now a magistrate ......he told me oz needed strong young men sadly i was sentenced to 28 days hard labour but with the proviso that if i kept my nose clean i could get a ozzie passport and become oz .....i i worked here and there for a while up the river murray and learned what oz was really about ....but the sea kept calling and i went back to wallaroo and hoped to see my love that was not to be but i did get a ship back to strangely enough to my own hometown south shields on an old banger but suited me.....whoops i get carried away ...but my message is there are many who jumped in oz and started a new life in the warm southern climes.....perhaps that could be your answer ..or sadly in the deaths of someone of that age group ....life is very strange .....i have been married to a lovely person for 58 years this year we have lived and truly prospered our family is a gracious thing to us ......i hope your quest goes well it is a star to follow .....just never give up ......best wishes in your quest cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ####maria many seamen jumped ship and started lives in oz or kiwi .....i have been married to a lovely person for 58 years this year we have lived and truly prospered our family is a gracious thing to us ......i hope your quest goes well it is a star to follow .....just never give up ......best wishes in your quest cappy
    Hi Cappy, thank you for sharing your story. What an adventure! Starting a new life is their main theory, so they aren’t naive about it. But I quite like to look everywhere I can before giving up.

I thought it was only fair to let everyone know about what I found this morning because it was how I opened this thread. And I got to that information thanked to what people recommended here.

I will keep researching anyway and let you know if I find anything

Thanks again for all your help and if you can think of anything based on my latest info, it will be very welcomed.

Have a nice evening!

Regards,
    Maria
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th February 2019 at 08:44 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###dear maria perhaps the photo you saw today was not the one you wished to see ....but in shields the seafaring community was vast and a large percentageof the local folk ......i do know of two brothers who looked similar and for reasons unknown shared the same discharge book ....there are many stories a guy i new had two sons ..they got what is called a pier head jump ...that is a ship short handed and will take persons to make up ....his two sons joined a greek ship out of shields in the 60s they were from a relatively tough seafaring family ......i drank with there father one time and he told me he had never heard of them again.....he is now gone himself and never found his boys ...seafarers are akin perhaps to gypsies ....there is perhaps a need to roam .....i have been on a vessel where 7 or 8 hands out of 40 have jumped ship ....it was nothing new ...it is the way of the sea sometimes......i wish not to sadden you but it is a given thing amongst seamen of the era you are looking at ...i have good friend on this site who as master or mate has seen nearly all hands skin out including the captain and other officers ....i wish not to discourage you ....you must persevere i wish you a good voyage on your quest###i have found in life you must never give up on a quest until it is impossible to go further .....best wishes cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maria, bit of a long shot but it may be worth contacting the immigration department in Canberra.
    They still have records going back along way.
    You can also contact any state library here and they will have old copies of newspapers in which at that time all ships arriving and sailing were listed.
    I have found a couple going back to the late 50's that way so may be worth a try.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, Maria Campbell thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Maria Campbell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep - that's the Dickensian office where we sat 2nd Mates, 1963, (and obviously other tickets if you studied for them in London). I did the others in the beautiful countryside at Southampton (Warsash). I remember the water the hydrometer sat in was green...and the examiner was grumpy - which was well known. But on my orals re-sit he was a bit mellower.
    R732092
    Last edited by Michael Jobson; 6th February 2019 at 09:48 AM.

7. Likes Maria Campbell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Maria, bit of a long shot but it may be worth contacting the immigration department in Canberra.
    They still have records going back along way.
    You can also contact any state library here and they will have old copies of newspapers in which at that time all ships arriving and sailing were listed.
    I have found a couple going back to the late 50's that way so may be worth a try.
    Hi John,

Thank you for your suggestion! I will sit down again this weekend to continue the search. I will add your advice to my ‘to do list’

I will keep you all posted.

Best,
    Maria

9. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4