Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello all

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello all

Thanks for allowing me to join the site.

Spent the best part of my teenage years & early 20’s working with the famous Ps Waverley on deck. In the early 80 ‘ we sailed the Waverley & her stable Mate MV balmoral around the coast of Britain offering a unique coastal cruising experience to the public. So I had a unique sea going career, working a ship which was from a by gone era. Even though we were only operational from April to September each year, I was part of a small year round crew.
    Though I never sailed on any great shell tankers around the world, or tramped the oceans under a blue funnel, I always felt I was in unique part of the merchant navy, signed under the same articles & doing the same job as other seaman across the world.

I have always had a love of the sea and all things nautical. And still look on with great admiration at the ships I sea around the country in my journeys as an HGV driver, even a crossing on the woowich ferry is a thrill now.

My father in law went the sea school in Cardiff around 1961 / 1964, and I am keen to sea if I can get a copy of his sea going records or discharge book and find the logs of the ships he sailed on. I know he did 2 trips from the Cardiff pool, one was def to Australia, but he can’t remember where his other trips were to.

If anyone can help with my research I would be most greatful.

Reds
    Jim Harrison

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello all

Hello Jim H
    Welcome to the site and hope you have a long and enjoyable stay here with us all.
    To assist you we will need the Full name ,possible Year , DOB ,and place
    From there we can hopefully go forward
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site Jim
    Enjoy
    Ron the batcave

5. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. Was the Waverley the one which used to sail from Cardiff around the Bristol Channel on day trips . If so one time in Cardiff in the sixties had the wife and our first kiddie down on ship, and we did a trip on the paddle boat. The name Waverley was I beleive also the name of the paddle ship that used to do trips down the Clyde in the eighties , or am I getting mixed up as quite often happens these days. JS

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim harrison View Post
    Thanks for allowing me to join the site.

I have always had a love of the sea and all things nautical. And still look on with great admiration at the ships I sea around the country in my journeys as an HGV driver, even a crossing on the woowich ferry is a thrill now.

If anyone can help with my research I would be most greatful.

Reds
    Jim Harrison

The family often used them from, mainly Porthcawl - iIfracombe .Visiting a married Sister at Barnstaple.
    Were All Paddle-steamers then. Late 40's onwards. Cardiff Queen ,Bristol Queen etc.
    Was returning to Oz . early 70's. My Local ,Bridgend United Services Club's
    Annual outing.to Weston -Super -Mare ,coincided with my return from Southampton via The Angelina Lauro .So Weston S.M.,to Templemeads .Bristol.
    Was back that time .Three months . Took job ,Butlins Barry, Security. To relieve the boredom.
    Did that alright!. Never dull Moment .repulsing the Barry Boys,trying to force themselves in ,after the Island Pubs had Closed. Princely sum of eight Pd's week. Punch-ups and stonings ,included.

Drifted down to Campbells ,at Tiger Bay.Got A.b's job .starting next day. The Balmoral. Steamer.Yours, the Waverley,being the only Paddler left.Enjoyable couple of weeks. We used overnight Swansea on Sundays, from Ilfracombe.
    Asked The Mate ,if I could leave at Porthcawl. the next Morning.Go to my dental App, at Bridgend, then rejoin Cardiff that Evening He thought hard . "Couldn't see His way clear". I can thinks !I .
    Tied-up at Porthcawl, Went For'd, working gear in the Kit bag. .Five mins up the Road, Western Welsh Bus. Only job .I'd "Skinned Out' of. Good Party piece ,back in Oz. "Tell us about the time You skinned out <iN Porhcawl Iant!

Regards the Cardiff Sea- school had two Pier head Jumps ,on a Chapman boat there.Both Deck Boys ,from the School.Peter Evans ,the Pilot,taking us out son. And Philip Northway,from Grangetown.
    Phil later became very prominent as one of the delegates at number Ten. invited by Harold Wilson .To put the Seaman's side of the Story ,During the Sixty- six strike.
    There is a third one ,round this area.Though has a few aliases. .So not sure now of the actual name.
    Hope this finds you well.
    "Keep Her Steady' Hope the Bell in front of the Wheelhouse window, didn;t annoy too much.Clang ! Clang! as She rolled
    Last edited by Evan Lewis; 5th January 2019 at 01:30 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My word! Ilfracombe that brings back some Memories to me!
    Worked there at one time for a spell at the old Ilfracombe Hotel right near the Sea.
    We a Waiter there and actually slept in as it was a stay on Job.
    Great times i had ,and recall the Nights that i used to take my then Lady Friend up Capstan Hil,sit there in the lovely fresh Air ,cuddling and just passing some great times.
    During the days at times used to also go up the Hill,and watch the old Steamers passing,i must surely have seen many mentioned,but then had other things on my Mind LOL
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    My word! Ilfracombe that brings back some Memories to me!
    Worked there at one time for a spell at the old Ilfracombe Hotel right near the Sea.
    We a Waiter there and actually slept in as it was a stay on Job.
    Great times i had ,and recall the Nights that i used to take my then Lady Friend up Capstan Hil,sit there in the lovely fresh Air ,cuddling and just passing some great times.
    During the days at times used to also go up the Hill,and watch the old Steamers passing,i must surely have seen many mentioned,but then had other things on my Mind LOL
    Cheers
    Beautiful Town. Wonderful view from the Hill, leading up directly from the Pier
    Recall one Pub -Hotel. over the Town side. Bar Furnished out ,like a merchant Ship.Rope Ladder,etc.etc.
    Good job your trysting place, wasn't at the Lower end. Vernon. Would have been Hard Yakka! if having to walk uphill, instead.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

This would have been Waverley 2, the earlier Waverley was lost early in WW2;

Following WW1 she was moth balled and the PS Barry conducted her pleasure steaming duties during peace time bearing her name.

WW2 the PS Barry / Waverley served as HMS Snaefell The Waverley was needed, brought out from storage then sailing under her own name was lost rescuing troops.

Keith.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #1. Was the Waverley the one which used to sail from Cardiff around the Bristol Channel on day trips . If so one time in Cardiff in the sixties had the wife and our first kiddie down on ship, and we did a trip on the paddle boat. The name Waverley was I beleive also the name of the paddle ship that used to do trips down the Clyde in the eighties , or am I getting mixed up as quite often happens these days. JS

2 October 1946 – the paddle steamer Waverley is launched. ... She was named after the debut novel of Sir Walter Scott, but wasn't the first paddle steamer to bear the name. The previous Waverley, built in 1899, had been requisitioned as a minesweeper during World War II and sank during the Dunkirk evacuation in 1940.

Waverley 2 touch wood continues to sail.

About the Ship - Paddle Steamer Waverley

15. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In reply the waverley I was on was the waverley that did the trips down the Clyde and made regular visits to the Bristol Channel in the eighties.

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast