Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hello all

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Hello all

Named after Sir Walter Scott’s first novel, Paddle Steamer Waverley was built on the Clyde. Waverley’s keel was laid on December 27, 1945 but due to material shortages after the war, she was not ready for launch until October 2, 1946. It wasn’t until the following year on January 20, 1947 that she was towed to Greenock for the installation of her boiler and engines. Finally she made her maiden voyage on June 16, 1947 and started what was to become a very long career.

About the Ship - Paddle Steamer Waverley

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim harrison View Post

My father in law went the sea school in Cardiff around 1961 / 1964, and I am keen to sea if I can get a copy of his sea going records or discharge book and find the logs of the ships he sailed on. I know he did 2 trips from the Cardiff pool, one was def to Australia, but he can’t remember where his other trips were to.

If anyone can help with my research I would be most greatful.

Reds
    Jim Harrison
    1941 to 1972 Fifth Register of Merchant Seaman's Service

These records are held at The National Archive at Kew in classification BT 382. The Fifth Register of Seaman’s Service 1941 to 1972.

Records of individual Merchant Seamen's sea service details are held in alphabetical surname order. These details include the following information: Name of seaman, Date and place of birth, Discharge (Seaman’s) book number, Rank, Details of the ships on which he served. These include:

Name of ship and official number, date of engagement (Joining ship), Date of discharge (Leaving ship), whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book.

Unfortunately these files are held in blocks of up to 60 individuals, so would require a visit to Kew unless you want to pay there extortionate prices. As mentioned, give full name, place and date of birth and we can at least point you to the file required to be looked into.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for mentioning that the Waverly was sunk during the war, I was beginning to think the brainbox was in a worse condition than it is.
    Terry Sullivan R340406

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2