Thread: Seeking sailors from the Baltic Star, mv Harmatan or Spero early 60s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seeking sailors from the Baltic Star, mv Harmatan or Spero early 60s

Hi All

My Dad was in the merchant Navy from approx 1963 and sailed on the Baltic Star (this ships name later changed), mv Harmatan or Spero early 60s above ships working in food service (steward I think was the job title). His name is Graham Page. I'm looking to track down anyone who sailed with him and has any memories or pictures of that time. Also for those that are more au fait with Merchant Navy records is there a way to check records for all the boats he sailed on?

Many thanks in advance for your help - I hope I can find him some "ship mates"

Thanks

Su

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Des Taff Jenkins, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seeking sailors from the Baltic Star, mv Harmatan or Spero early 60s

Welcome Su.
    I'm sure you will get some info back soon .
    Ron the batcave

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seeking sailors from the Baltic Star, mv Harmatan or Spero early 60s

Hi, Su you mention the M.V.Harmattan i cant help you with her crew list early 60s, But i witnessed her sad demise back in 1971 8th December to be precise she was at the safe anchorage point 8 mile off the coast of Karachi Pakistan along with the only other U.K Vessel caught up in the Bangladesh / Pakistan war which i was aboard the MV Eucadia. If you go to my profile and click on threads added you will find the whole the whole story of your fathers ships sad demise. I do have the crew and casualty list in my possession from when she was hit by a missile from an Indian gun boat back in 1971, This is my last memorie of her as she was towed past us to be broken up on boxing day 1971 Plus an Irish newspaper caption as her then Capt Houston of Larne Northern Ireland who survived the attack was awarded the M.B.E. From H M The Queen . Regards Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

6. Thanks Captain Kong, Bill Cameron, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gulliver View Post
    During the Indo-Pakistan conflict, as well as casualties off Karachi in West Pakistan,there was even more activity ,obviously due to Bengali guerrilla activity over in East Pakistan ,later to be renamed Bangladesh.

By the time of the Harmattan tragedy I was home enjoying Christmas. There but for the grace of God........
    Gulliver, The xmas we spent alongside in Karachi in 71 was to say the least bloody dismal, The place had been obliterated by the Indian Navy operations, We where 12 months aboard the Eucadia we had cargo for both countries India and Pakistan, We spent more time in Aden off loading Indian cargo before entering Pakistan and then doubling back to Aden so to speak to do the reverse before entering Bombay, Its ironic that i am posting this exactly 39 years ago to the day that the Harmattan was struck, I have Capt Houston's personal report which after finding his sister in Larne she was good enough to pass onto me a copy, It was the report he submitted to J@C Harrisons and was wrote on an old typewriter you can actually see where he has put a pen through of his report and edited it in hand writing above, But one thing comes through to me after all the info i have gathered and crew members who are sadly no longer with us the attack on the Harmattan was no accident in fact there where 2 missiles fired at her midships the first flew over her monkey island the second was more successful from there point of view, Its all in Capt Houston's report. Another day Another dollar Regards Terry.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th March 2019 at 07:50 PM.
    {terry scouse}

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Dave, those aroamers like many others will never leave i agree, As for Bombay { Mumbai } You could smell it before you spotted it, The years have been kind to me also and my memories are as sharp as they where back then. Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

10. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the Baltic Star in the seventies. My older brother was on the Baltic Star and Spero in the sixties, Ron Sylvester.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Old Post this one so don't know if the Lady will still be around?
    I can hopefully try and help if she gets back to us on this!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

14. Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post