Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: RFA Black Ranger - Kenneth H Churchouse

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: RFA Black Ranger - Kenneth H Churchouse

That's the ship Doc, I have got the same photo which I think was sent to me by a member of this site many years ago. Where did you find it.?

Anne, the reason I said he had two daughters was that two young school girls did the trip to Paris with us on one of our voyages. One was about 14 and the other was about 12, it is nearly 60 years ago and my memory is getting dim but I am sure they were his daughters.
    The only other company I remember him talking about were the British Rail ferries from Southampton and Weymouth to Le Havre and Channel Islands, I think he was 2nd. and Chief Mate on them. I believe he had connections with the Channel Islands.
    I joined the "Somme" on 3rd.Jan. 1961 so that is 58 years ago. I did 12 months on her as Able Seaman and Mate and then I left to go elsewhere. I rejoined her in Aug. 1962 as Mate and did another 12 months in her. During that 12 months Ken left the ship and I lost all contact with him. He was a nice fellow and we got on well together, I often wondered what happened to him. Maybe he joined the "Black Ranger" after he left the "Somme" in 1962.
    Regards..... Alec Sheldon.

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just came across it while surfing the Net Trader.
    One of those lucky finds ,
    Cheers

Here is another old one Trader again lucky!

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 7th January 2019 at 03:33 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks Trader thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anne never came back to this post, maybe she couldn't find it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Trader View Post
    That's the ship Doc, I have got the same photo which I think was sent to me by a member of this site many years ago. Where did you find it.?

Anne, the reason I said he had two daughters was that two young school girls did the trip to Paris with us on one of our voyages. One was about 14 and the other was about 12, it is nearly 60 years ago and my memory is getting dim but I am sure they were his daughters.
    The only other company I remember him talking about were the British Rail ferries from Southampton and Weymouth to Le Havre and Channel Islands, I think he was 2nd. and Chief Mate on them. I believe he had connections with the Channel Islands.
    I joined the "Somme" on 3rd.Jan. 1961 so that is 58 years ago. I did 12 months on her as Able Seaman and Mate and then I left to go elsewhere. I rejoined her in Aug. 1962 as Mate and did another 12 months in her. During that 12 months Ken left the ship and I lost all contact with him. He was a nice fellow and we got on well together, I often wondered what happened to him. Maybe he joined the "Black Ranger" after he left the "Somme" in 1962.

Hi Alec
    Thank you so much for more info for me to work on. Please don't think I was saying you are wrong as it may be possible he had 2 daughters. I only knew of a son and daughter and as you say it is a long time ago. I only knew and saw Keneth as a child and only met the son and daughter once or twice if I remember rightly. I am pleased you got on well with him. I am just so appreciative of all the info everyone has given me - now I just have to find the time to work through it.
    It's lovely to be gradually piecing together my Dad's family as he was one of 13 children so I didn't know all his brothers and sisters very well.
    If anyone has any further info please keep it coming. A I ave said before I work 6 days a week but will always read through all the posts.
    Thank you again to everyone.
    Regards
    Anne

- - - Updated - - -

Hi again,
    Yes just seen the picture - fantastic Thank you.
    I am only realy able to look for any length of time on a Sunday so have only just seen this -Thank you
    It's great getting all this info and pictures,
    So kind of you all to spare the time,
    Anne
    Last edited by Anne Maclachlan; 13th January 2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: misspellings!

7. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon, Trader thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Trader, I am back again just say I just received contact from a granddaughter of Ken's and we were both right!!!! He had 2 daughters and a son!!! We are now exchanging information and hoping to meet up. Can I please thank you and all of you who replied to my thread. I have found even more information with your help so once again a HUGE Thank you to you all. Regards, Anne

9. Thanks Trader thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good afternoon all,
    A further update: yesterday I went to the National Archives at Kew and managed to obtain a copy of his C R S 10 documents....and so many. I am just so thankful to all of whom contributed to this thread and provided so much information. I have a lot to go through and much deciphering and ascertaining the meaning of some words and initials it seems and some numbers!
    Alec Sheldon, I can see where he was on the Black Ranger in 1946 and the Somme from 1961 - 1963 among many others. From there he joined the Daniel M.
    Once again I want to Thank all of you who contributed to this thread and gave so much help and information. As I continue with my ancestry research I could well be back, however I will drop in from time to time.
    I wish you all well and hope those of you searching for information are fortuitous.......I certainly have been.
    Regards, Anne

11. Thanks Trader thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Anne Maclachlan View Post
    Good afternoon all,
    A further update: yesterday I went to the National Archives at Kew and managed to obtain a copy of his C R S 10 documents....and so many. I am just so thankful to all of whom contributed to this thread and provided so much information. I have a lot to go through and much deciphering and ascertaining the meaning of some words and initials it seems and some numbers!
    Alec Sheldon, I can see where he was on the Black Ranger in 1946 and the Somme from 1961 - 1963 among many others. From there he joined the Daniel M.
    Once again I want to Thank all of you who contributed to this thread and gave so much help and information. As I continue with my ancestry research I could well be back, however I will drop in from time to time.
    I wish you all well and hope those of you searching for information are fortuitous.......I certainly have been.
    Regards, Anne
    Hi Anne, glad to see that you have solved the history of your uncle Ken, my old ship mate. I see that he went to the Daniel M after he left the Somme, she was one of Metcalfs Motor coasters. Funny enough I was on the Thomas M, same company, I was on her when she was on the Paris/London trade and named "Scheldt" and was owned by Wm.H.Muller who also were owners of the Somme. The Paris trade finished and she was sold to Metcalfs and renamed Thomas M, I stayed in her for a few months after the sale. This was in 1970.

Regards....Alec Sheldon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Re: RFA Black Ranger - Kenneth H Churchouse

Hi Anne, glad to see that you have solved the history of your uncle Ken, my old ship mate. I see that he went to the Daniel M after he left the Somme, she was one of Metcalfs Motor coasters. Funny enough I was on the Thomas M, same company, I was on her when she was on the Paris/London trade and named "Scheldt" and was owned by Wm.H.Muller who also were owners of the Somme. The Paris trade finished and she was sold to Metcalfs and renamed Thomas M, I stayed in her for a few months after the sale. This was in 1970.

Regards....Alec Sheldon.
    Hi Alec, Thank you for your reply. I felt I had to look to see if Ken had also been on the Thomas M at any time and he had, during March 1963. I then noticed he had also been on Anthony M, Ann M, Marion M, Moira M,........are you seeing pattern here?? He was Master on these from Daniel M in April 1963 through to September 1965 on the Moira M.
    It seems he was on the Somme from September 1960 to March 1963.
    I've yet to find time to fully study these documents which will definitely lead to more research.
    I was also able to find the meaning of the marks on the link to his Medals which I was given on here. Altogether a very productive day for me at the National Archives AND on here from the lovely helpful people here.
    As I said before I will be back from time to time....and once more Thank you EVERYONE. Anne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Have you got this...
    Marriage...Kenneth H Churchouse ..Beatrice A A Burden. Oct.1946 District .Southampton. Vol.6b. Page.1261.

2 Daughters..1947..1951 one son 1954..
    Last edited by Frederick Lacey; 2nd April 2019 at 07:58 PM.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5