Thread: Mike Hargreaves

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mike Hargreaves

Hi everyone, thanks for accepting me on your site, From Liverpool seafaring background, after serving apprenticeship and series of unfulfilled jobs went to Mann Island seeking employment in warmer climes, sent to see Mr Clatworthy the Marine Superintendent at Booths/Lamports etc, 'Would I join the 'Raphael' she sails on Friday'! Couldn't make that but sailed later in the Benedict, from the early 50's ex Austasia line, thoroughly enjoyed several voyages before she succumbed to Vestey musical vessels and became another R boat with L&H. Asked to stand by the Cyril in Antwerp as 3rd Eng after a couple of very enjoyable voyages was going to wait till the new SD 14's appeared but circumstances precluded any further sailings. I have many happy memories of the faces and places during this period, everyone should go to Brazil although I imagine I would not recognise it today. Memory fades with time but there are a few characters that stood out: Cliff Cann 2nd Eng and Billy Hull from Preston, the 4th Eng, deserted us for the V boats on the coast run. Skipper was Norman Sharp from Yorkshire and the Mate Dicky Lorraine from Liverpool, One Chief Engineer turned out to be Ole Amundsen relation of the Polar explorer, I also remember Ken Gannon, Jnr Eng missing up the Amazon, found asleep in one of the lifeboats, had the biggest blister I have ever seen on his back due to sun exposure, there were of course many more, not least our West Indian crew who looked after us, especially ashore. I think we had the best of it, although many things changed for the better I wouldn't have it any other way, best wishes to all.

2. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mike Hargreaves

Welcome aboard Mike, I was the Third Mate on the Sheridan from July 67 to September 67 when we brought her to Le Havre and she became the Cyril for Booths. We ( the Deck Officers ) Tim Abbott 2nd Mate and Glyn Houston Mate including the Old Man Captain Wilson had to pay off and return to Liverpool for another ship. We got the Rossini ex Bernard back over from Booths. I seem to remember all the Engineers stayed on Cyril, was that you and sorry but I cant remember much - wasn't there a 3rd Engineer call Scoby or something like that and one called Durango. I have a photograph of the Sheridan I got off Foto Flite with all the signatures on the back, its in the loft somewhere. We had a Radio Officer named Charlie Caughy he was Maltese. Dicky Lorraine was 2nd Mate of the Rubens when I was a Cadet on her, she was later to become the Bernard and then the Rossini when I ended up 3rd Mate of her.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 5th December 2018 at 08:52 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on the RAPHAEL in 1954 nice ship.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Mike H
    Thank you for joining in with all here and for the opening Post as well as your Crew Details .
    Hope that you will have a long and enjoyable stay with us and find a lot to keep you interested.
    Enjoy
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    I sailed on the RAPHAEL in 1954 nice ship.
    Spent two years on her Brian, my favourite ship.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

9. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Chris, thanks for the response, I joined the Cyril in dry dock in Antwerp and sailed with her after that, the Engineer you mention called himself DJANGO, a bit of an extrovert who, incidentally, drove his car into a Liverpool dry dock and survived. Who could forget Dicky Lorraine, the sea was full of characters. Earlier was alongside the Sheridan or Spencer, I forget which, in Belem whilst on the Benedict, remember the tremendous air horn as we left, Best wishes Mike.

11. Thanks Chris Allman, Doc Vernon thanked for this post