Thread: Hello

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello

Hello all and thank you for the warm welcome.

My reason for joining the forum is that my father was in the Merchant Navy.
    I'm currently going through his discharge books that begin in 1951 and lead up to his death in 1998. I'm also studying archiving and information preservation at the University of Glasgow (mature student). I have for years been meaning to collate my father’s documents and circumstances collided to give impetus to the project.
    I have reached up to 1967 in the books and my father is steadily rising up the ranks (he reached Captain in the end). I’m filling in an excel sheet with all the details. I must say despite being over 20 years since my father’s death I’m finding it quite emotional (in a good way). The sacrifices that he made for me and my family are brought into sharp perspective when you see that amount of time away from home. Of course, I grew up with his prolonged absences and you get used to it a normal.

In my research I’ve been constantly been led to your site. It appears to be a great resource that I’ll make good use of. I’m quite keen to correlate his career to the decline in the British merchant navy. At the end of his career he was working for foreign countries.

Once again thanks for the welcome

Regards

Matt Lindsay

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello

Hello Matt
    Welcome to the site and thank you for your opening post most informative ,and i must say a good project you have going there.
    It is always nice to do such research and write memories of past Relatives,and in your case like many here are compiling a good record of his past Years,
    Its never too late to do these thins Matt,so you just carry on ,and in the end it will be well worth it all.
    The site is one of all types of Subjects so I am sure you will find lots to take your interest.
    Thanks for joining Browse away and Enjoy
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###hello mat sailed with a guy in 57in a runciman tramp ......he was jock lindsay ....think he may have been peter ......certainy never made captain ...but he had a ABs ticket ....a bot of trade ships cook ticket ......had fired a coal burner up the red sea and had been many years at sea .....he was one of the most interesting guys i have ever met .....he was a great mentor to a ist tripper ....and when the boat turned over in sydney harbour through to many drunks aboard i recall him shouting .....is young cappy aaaal.reet .....he had no need to worry i was off like a linty for the gangway one hand covering me nuts a i was convinced a nobby clark was about .....must admit it was surely every man for himself as far as i was convinced ......perhaps he was a member of your familyi recall his father had only one leg and went by the name of hoppy lindsay......regards cappy

4. Thanks Matt Lindsay thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Cappy.
    Wow what a story! My dad was from the Isle of South Uist where many went to sea. His brother my uncle went also but he never took to it. Was hoppy Scottish?
    cheers

Matt

- - - Updated - - -

Many Thanks Doc!

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###my maternal grandfather was a shetlander went to sea all his life ...he was blown overboard by a mine on the ss halo ..in the london river .....a AB called peter ross was killed ...i knew nothing of this till i courted a lovely shields lass lilian ross ....and it was years later i found her dad was lost on the ss halo when my granda was blown over the wall...strange we never new till 15 or 20 years after we had courted ...the world is a small strange place ....it would be interesting to see a list of your dads vessels ...some on the site may have sailed and remembered him ......best of luck with your reseach ...there are some older guys on here who sailed many years ago one even sailed on noahs ark he lives in perf australia .....name of sabourn a whole life at sea like others on this august site .......regards cappy

8. Thanks Matt Lindsay thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##jock lindsays family were from glasgow......regards cappy

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, Matt Lindsay thanked for this post
    Likes Matt Lindsay liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site Matt
    Enjoy
    Ron THe batcave

12. Thanks Matt Lindsay thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Matt Lindsay liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Cappy, I'll post the list when i've completed it.
    cheers
    Matt

14. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##that will be of great interest to many on here mat ..as mentioned we have some great knowledge amongst our older hands here ...john saborn has a wealth of info from the early 50s and has a great recollection of many persons he sailed with ......sadly he still owes me 3 shillings and fourpence from 1957 lol cappy

16. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##you mention matt your father in his latter days at sea .....worked for foreign ship owners the afore mentioned did this also he may have come across your late father ......regards cappy