Thread: Empire Housman

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Empire Housman

JS
    On a search it says sold to ??
    Avonmoor 1943 1959 sold to Yu Tung Nav. Corp, Keelung r/n Yu Tung, 1966 sold to China Union Lines, Keelung r/n Union Success, 1968 scrapped. 7268 Tonns
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was on that ship for 2.5 years and got home for 36 hours during that period, I was lucky. Cappy put his chipping hammer through her when he was there so was sold with cement box intact. The topmasts were never there when I was so maybe that was part of the economy bit. If Cappy had been there the finger of suspicion may have pointed in a different direction. She was black hulled at one time, there again Cappy will say brown as was rusty, that was because he threw his chipping hammer over the side. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bit off course but funny !
    Cheers

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th October 2018 at 11:22 PM.

R697530

6. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Was on that ship for 2.5 years and got home for 36 hours during that period, I was lucky. Cappy put his chipping hammer through her when he was there so was sold with cement box intact. The topmasts were never there when I was so maybe that was part of the economy bit. If Cappy had been there the finger of suspicion may have pointed in a different direction. She was black hulled at one time, there again Cappy will say brown as was rusty, that was because he threw his chipping hammer over the side. JS
    ####morning all... john is right i joined her in wallaroo in 59 and eventually arrived back in shields .....as said before she was rotten through and through ....the shower holding tank down aft was not big enough to hold enough water for a shower .....plus you had to use the steam valve to heat the water ...too much steam scalded ... to little steam bloody freezing ...she was just a big rust bucket but after sampling the pleasure of the best and worst of oz......suppose she was homeward bound with a young 18 year old....and after being on the beach and knowing what it was to be proper hungary she was like the ritz hotel......even better than the mission of the helping hand .....averrage one plonky death a night .......but kept you out of the big house as a vagabond ....what a learning curve ......have recently been down to see grandson charlie playing rugby for Nice in france......he is loving it ......so it was a very happy time for pat and me am pleased to be back aboard .....but have a couple of new interests keeping me busy ....so will not be on the sight daily but will look in from time to time ......and does anyone know who has marys wooden leg .....best wishes cappy from shields .....ps regards to gwen john ...cappy

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks all for your helpful information regarding, still not found a picture of Empire Housman, but have got one of SS Avonmoor.
    Got one new lead which is a book on Amazon by George Bell titled “My Single days”. Apparently it has the story of the 1944 U Boat attack on SS Empire Housman of which George Bell was a crew member at the time, and he tells how he ended up in the water after the torpedo hit.
    Going to order it and hoping it may contain a picture of the ship.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/lifes...-1-4882494/amp

Regards John Reader

10. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15... Happy for Pat and you that all went well in France. If perchance you had Occassion to visit a Church whilst in that country you may have noticed the notice in the vestibule which I believe is almost mandatory these days ? I know you speak Japanese but how about your French if you didnt bother to translate as was too keen to get back to the plonko here is the notice and translation ...
    IL est possible qu”en entrant
    dans Vettel eglise
    Vons entendres
    l” Appel de Dieu
    Par contre, I’ll est pet probable
    qu”I’ll vous contacte par telephone
    Merci, D”Eteindre
    Vos Telephones.

Translation .. By entering this church it may be possible that you hear the call of God. However it is less probable that he will call you on your mobile. Thank you for turning off your phones. If you want to talk to God , enter, choose a quiet place and talk to him. If you want to see him , send him a text while driving.

Will now get wrong for putting this in the wrong place. However good to see you back in one piece.
    Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th October 2018 at 01:59 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indeed good to see you back on Board cappy! Did you apply for AWOL???
    You will be in Hot Water not like the Steam Bucket LOL
    Good to hear about your Son and his Rugby ,nice going!
    Cheers

R697530

13. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Indeed good to see you back on Board cappy! Did you apply for AWOL???
    You will be in Hot Water not like the Steam Bucket LOL
    Good to hear about your Son and his Rugby ,nice going!
    Cheers
    ....its the grandson playing vernon .......sadly in one sense.... cappy 78 son 50 ....grandson 21......but with all the will in the world im definetly past rugby lol

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #15... Happy for Pat and you that all went well in France. If perchance you had Occassion to visit a Church whilst in that country you may have noticed the notice in the vestibule which I believe is almost mandatory these days ? I know you speak Japanese but how about your French if you didnt bother to translate as was too keen to get back to the plonko here is the notice and translation ...
    IL est possible qu”en entrant
    dans Vettel eglise
    Vons entendres
    l” Appel de Dieu
    Par contre, I’ll est pet probable
    qu”I’ll vous contacte par telephone
    Merci, D”Eteindre
    Vos Telephones.

Translation .. By entering this church it may be possible that you hear the call of God. However it is less probable that he will call you on your mobile. Thank you for turning off your phones. If you want to talk to God , enter, choose a quiet place and talk to him. If you want to see him , send him a text while driving.

Will now get wrong for putting this in the wrong place. However good to see you back in one piece.
    Cheers JS
    ###not a lot of people know that john ......thanks for the french letter ...or correctly the letter from france lol regards cappy

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast