Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Daughter of Dick Turpin (Beaverbank 1959)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Daughter of Dick Turpin (Beaverbank 1959)

No capability conduct and sobriety where a comment on your general demeanor the main aim of the form was to determine whether you had been on steam or diesel and if you had been on a diesel engine or a steam engine of what type of what horsepower and exactly what you have been doing where you are junior watchkeeper or senior watchkeeper or a day worker because there are limits for each type of watch Keeping regarding when it came to certificate in qualification days if you were a watchkeeper on auxiliary machinery you're only allowed to do so many months of it to count towards your sea time . If I remember correctly you could be on Watch on auxiliary machinery for 9 months only to count towards qualification time . So to sit for a second engineer certificate you would require 18 months time and all that had to be at least nine months on Watch on main engine and auxiliaries . So if you started out on a union Castle passenger liner you would end up on Watch on auxiliary machinery in the generator room and you could be there from junior engineer then junior 4th engineer only 9 months of that time would count you would then move onto the main engine platform and you did then getting the rest of your time for certification so did get your ticket time in could take you several years and likewise you would then be an engineer on the main engine platform and then would progress to the boiler room and then to Engineering charge of the Watch and only so much of each individual unit would count towards the overall time again so to get a chief engineer certificate on a passenger liner could take you many years where are they tramp oil tanker you can have your seat I'm in within 18 months for each of the second and chief engineer certification
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    'Strictly Sober'?
    A term often used but never explained.

We may discover more ?

Spoke to two ex-captains earlier that said it had nothing to do with booze.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Indian crew and such like most wanted letters of service and I used to write out glowing reports on their capabilities . At the end of such I used to put however don’t pay him any money as he’s not worth it. They wanted a piece of paper to boast about among their friends they didn’t understand what was written but looked official to them, had no practical use and would be laughed at by most employers. It was written not to harm the wisher of such a useless piece of paper. Discharge books with bad discharges in I didn’t take too much notice of either unless they were continuous from different people. You were going on one persons judge of character which had every chance of being flawed. Best to make your own judgement on a person and if found out his previous report was. Accurate then just quitely get rid of at the first opportunity. However usuallyfound to the contrary that they were just ordinary blokes , probably sowing a few wild oats here and there and not taking too kindlly to towing the line when necessary. The world is full of individuals and no two are the same , unless Siamese and still joined together. JS

4. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well in that case Keith I must bow to your superior knowledge of our engineer officers references and testimonials are written obviously you're seagoing experience is more in depth than mine was
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

6. Likes cappy liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

I am not disagreeing with what you believe or arguing the toss, adding to a question asked and info to debate.

I am led to believe there is much more than was actually thought, worth a mention surely.

Understanding both organisations and the history, the old ways still tax many in similar modern outcomes.

C'est la vie.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#24... I’ve still got some of mine Rob if we are talking about the same thing. They were certificates of watchkeeping and could produce them when putting ones papers into the MOT for certicates the sitting for. Had the times served on the vessel and was easier for the examiner to work out your seatime rather than go into your discharge book , in fact some of your seatime may of been on a ship that didn’t work the old discharge book system. Were usually non committal so the word sober was probably used to help fill up the blank space left for filling in. Was the seatime the paper contained was it’s only use. As a reference I can’t see any employer using, he would just pick up a phone and ask your previous employers, as I often used to say you were only as good as your last job. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th May 2018 at 07:56 AM.

9. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
    Likes robpage, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That's the exact one John , because I would have believed that most of the sea time a deck officer would serve would be as a senior watchkeeper there were probably less relevant but in the engine room you could be a senior or junior watchkeeper but as a junior watchkeeper for the sea time to count in total you had to be covering the whole engine room which was on a cargo ship not a problem but I'm passenger ships you could be covering auxiliary machinery refrigeration or be on day work and particularly when you was going for your second engineers certificate and see time was I think 18 months I had a 3 months part A exemption from the total 21 months you are only allowed 9 months on non main engine watchkeeping hence my staying on passenger ships for only 12 months . They were literally as you said a watchkeeping certificate although from the three companies I was with they were always cold the testimonial so I believe it was a testimonial as to what kind of watch Keeping you did after getting my combine certificate class one I never ever had another one issued

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have just looked at my old Watch keeping Certificate book used as proof of sea time for B.O.T. exams. Similar to the type written records of conduct that many of you got but this is a formalised version printed by the B.O.T. In it are instructions to Master on how to fill in the various sections and the report on conduct where the "Strictly Sober" or "sober at all times" comment appears, in the instructions it refers to the alcohol intake of the person in question.
    rgds
    J.A.

13. Thanks robpage, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes robpage liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the current guidance notes including sobriety

https://assets.publishing.service.go...319/mgn093.pdf

15. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#27 .. If I remember correctly if you sailed as 2nd mate on a second mates certificate as against sailing as 3 mate it was only 12 months between second mate and mate. A similar reduction for seatime between mate and master. This was previous to 1962. After gaining masters cert. there was no need for watchkeeping certs. Seatime required between mate and master was think 3 years. But maybe 2.5 years if sailing as mate. That long ago hard to remember now. Know I always sailed with a superior cert. so didn’t get the reduced seatime. A mate of mine who went with China steam sailed with cert of rank and got his masters at 23 it took me until 26 . 27 the following month. JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th May 2018 at 01:06 PM.

17. Likes N/A, cappy, Captain Kong liked this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast