Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Hello and thanks for letting me join.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello and thanks for letting me join.

Hi Gareth.
    All the boys from the village used to swim in a river there, don't know if it's the same one, we used to cross the fields to get to it, used to be Otters there. We would cycle down over Fairwood common to Three Cliffs, where we used to have our holidays, had to watch as we shot down the hill into Fairwood airdrome as a Polish fighter squadron of spitfires was posted there.
    Cheers Des.

Mumbles.jpg

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Gareth Linnard liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The land of Australia was at onw time one with much of Asia and Tassie would have been part of that land mass.

But in Tassie there are creatures, such as the Tasamanian Tiger and the Devil that ended up only in Tassie, though as you say evidence of the Tiger on the mainland.

Whilst you say they would have no fear of man, there are parts of Tassie, particularly on the extreme south where no man ever goes, it is far to dangerous a place with cliffs hidden by the bush.

So has it gone, most likely, but one can hope that maybe one day...........................

There has been talk of the possibility by the use of DNA reproducing it, maybe one day who knows.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Gareth Linnard, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Gareth.
    All the boys from the village used to swim in a river there, don't know if it's the same one, we used to cross the fields to get to it, used to be Otters there. We would cycle down over Fairwood common to Three Cliffs, where we used to have our holidays, had to watch as we shot down the hill into Fairwood airdrome as a Polish fighter squadron of spitfires was posted there.
    Cheers Des.
    Do you mean the river that runs out into the estuary that the marsh road crosses? I think Icameacross the old airfield at Fairwood back in the 80's when I was a kid, was it off Parc Lane?
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th April 2018 at 06:15 AM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    The land of Australia was at onw time one with much of Asia and Tassie would have been part of that land mass.

There has been talk of the possibility by the use of DNA reproducing it, maybe one day who knows.
    Hi John, it isn't that they'd have no fear of man but that if a population had survived it'd either have expanded out of the SW by now, or gone extinct. There's no real way to keep a population at just the right level to remain isolated, yet be healthy enough to keep going. Or at least if there was it'd be remarkable.

Another problem is that although the SW is remote now there was plenty of trapping and prospecting there back then. I've got maps which show human encroachment into the area and it's widely covered. That'd have meant trapping. Plus, the country there has never been considered good habitat, but there are reports of two being obtained from there in the late 20's, at Port Davey.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th April 2018 at 06:15 AM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Linnard View Post
    Do you mean the river that runs out into the estuary that the marsh road crosses? I think Icameacross the old airfield at Fairwood back in the 80's when I was a kid, was it off Parc Lane?
    Hi Gareth .
    Yes That is the one, there was the odd dead sheep floating past used to help it on it's way over the little weir. Played soccer for the village down on Gowerton Common, now a proper soccer club.
    Cheers des
    t

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Gareth Linnard View Post
    Hi John, it isn't that they'd have no fear of man but that if a population had survived it'd either have expanded out of the SW by now, or gone extinct. There's no real way to keep a population at just the right level to remain isolated, yet be healthy enough to keep going. Or at least if there was it'd be remarkable.

Another problem is that although the SW is remote now there was plenty of trapping and prospecting there back then. I've got maps which show human encroachment into the area and it's widely covered. That'd have meant trapping. Plus, the country there has never been considered good habitat, but there are reports of two being obtained from there in the late 20's, at Port Davey.
    But one can live in hope.
    Over the past few years a number of species have been found, some such as ants and a lizard never known of before.
    It is a bloody big country with so much wilderness that any thing could yet be found.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    But one can live in hope.
    Over the past few years a number of species have been found, some such as ants and a lizard never known of before.
    It is a bloody big country with so much wilderness that any thing could yet be found.
    Well I disagree that There's a chance, but I truly wish I felt differently. But I'd really love to be proved wrong in this instance.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Gareth .
    Yes That is the one, there was the odd dead sheep floating past used to help it on it's way over the little weir. Played soccer for the village down on Gowerton Common, now a proper soccer club.
    Cheers des
    t
    Yeah, the soccer ground is jyst by the Kingsbridge. Haven't been in there for years. I'll try and put up a few photos of the area if you'd like.

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Justto say, this has niw been resolved. There remains a massive paper trail between the customs office, the State's Fauna Board, and the customs officials of ever Australian portthe Port Curtis called at. The answer was that as expected, there were only two thylacibes aboard, but somewhat unexpectedly they were both female. Although this has been said elsewhere.

Thanjs again for all the advice recieved here.

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5