Thread: Hello from new Member Lynn Charles

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello from new Member Lynn Charles

Hi Everyone
    I wonder if there are any of you good people out there who remember my Husband David Charles (from Southampton)he was an officer and electrician to trade and sailed on the SA Vaal I think for around two years.
    He was a young whipper snapper then all blond and good looking (enjoying the young ladies attentions having a holiday on board!)
    He is now approaching his 70th birthday and cannot believe how quickly time has gone by.
    One of his favorite memories was all the crew parties. He also mentions (just once or twice!) how he was invited by one of the wealthy young ladies to visit her house in Capetown and how they spent an evening on Table mountain at the time of the moon landing.
    He has had a very varied and exciting life since leaving the merchant navy, building with two others a 48 ft Wharram Catamaran called "Southern Lion" from scratch and very little money. It took four years to build while working at a full time job. Care of an interest from the Lions club was christened by Princess Maragret. Unfortunately the boat was wrecked in Minorca.
    He then got an offshore job diving in mini manned submarines and met me at the age of 17 yrs in Aberdeen!
    Later in married life we crossed the Atlantic on a 36ft boat (me being the reluctant sailor put plan B in action and arrived home earlier than planned nearly 1yr into our voyage pregnant!)
    Dave still sails today but it's a struggle as in 2010 he had a near fatal motorcycle accident with terrible injuries to his legs so he is worth a lot in metal inserted in his legs!
    Well that's pretty much up to date.
    He doesn't know I'm trying to find anyone from his days on the SA Vaal but I know he would be thrilled to meet anyone from that time.
    Many thanks.
    Lynn Charles

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello from new Member Lynn Charles

Welcome to the site Lyn, there are a lot of good people on this site, and no doubt some will have sailed in the SA Vaal, regards kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the Vaal 1969-70.
    Vic

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

welcome to the site
    Lynn
    Enjoy and wait for your info coming
    Ron the batcave

6. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Lynn
    Welcome to the site and I hope with time there may be one or two who may recall and sailed with your Hubby!
    I was with the Union Castle Liners as well,but in the 1950's so a wee bit before his time!
    Yes your talking about his Young time at Sea brings back some fond memories of just what we got up to as whipper Snappers! LOL
    Some of those Crew parties were to say the least a blast,especially the ones with the Gays on board! LOL
    Table Mountain a great experience and yes was also and I suppose still is a Romantic venue for many!
    He like many here had a varied time in life and that is such a good thing,as one learns from variations !
    Southampton a great place as well,with in those days so much going on .don't know if he recalls any of the Taverns but Boy we all had some times in them all. One in particular called The Juniper Berry where most Seaman hung out, there was also a Downstairs Coffe Bar The Checkpoint where we used to take and meet all the Chicks! Mmmm!!
    Anyway hope as said that you will get some good replies,thanks for joining!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hello Lynn.

An hello from me and a hope that you make the contacts required.

Best of luck, fingers crossed.

Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Vernon, many of us spent some time on Table mountain, lost my cig lighter up there.
    Not sure about a Moon landing but did get another kind of landing up there.
    Maybe that is how I lost the lighter?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller