Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Hello from Scotland

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello from Scotland

I would agree with your post Cappy, I had respect for all but one skipper i sailed with the majority wanted a happy crew, Yes from time to time you would loose a days pay most of us experienced that. It was the younger ones who seemed to take advantage of there position over you, I remember walking off one ship 2 hours before she sailed but not before letting the young Norwegian skipper that not only would i sail with him because of his attitude towards all the ratings but i wouldn't share a shower room with him, Never heard a thing when i reported back to the pool, In fact i went to the union first and explained my position { Not another one was the reply, he had a bad reputation and i never gave him any notice i got my book back and the pay i was owed apparently this wasn't the first time a rating refused to sail with him. As the old saying goes your only as good as your last job and he should never have been made Captain. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ken
    I sailed in the Canadian Pacific from 67 through to 88 from cadet to chief officer before we were all made redundant. I would have still be there if they were still going as the people I sailed with were such a fantastic mix of ability and personality. Your father was one of them and though I only met him once, joining as mate on a container vessel as he was paying off. He certainly had a bit of a reputation for some Dodgy dealings, one regarding the number of spare hatch tarpaulins on a log carrier and the other regarding new lounge furniture for acontainer vessel, where the new furniture he had purchased supposedly ended up in a property in Edinburgh with 2nd hand furniture from that property ending up on the vessel he was Master of at the time.
    Only having met him briefly I cannot comment on what he was actually like to sail with but suffice to say his reputation preceded him. Am I right in thinking that after leaving Canadian Pacific, he worked for the UN food agency organising food shipments?
    Rgds.
    J.A.

3. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site Ken .
    Never sailed with a bad old man in Brocklebanks.
    Ron the batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Ken,
    When I was growing up we called Battenburg Cake (squares of pink and yellow sponge in a long block) C.P.R. cake. It was many years before I knew its proper name. When my Dad died, one of our daughters came to say, "Grandad's here " WHHHHaaat ?! Then she took me to the table at the Funeral Reception and sure enough, there was a big plate of C.P.R. cake ! Someone having a laugh.
    Brenda

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2