Thread: New Member

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Member

Hello all.

I've recently finished updating my father's (Captain Peter F Mason) story of his life at sea from his joining BP as an apprentice in 1942 until his retirement as one of the Elder Brethren of Trinity House in 1990. Whilst I've managed to get pictures of most of the ships on which he served between 1942 and 1964 I have a few gaps as follows:
    British Glory 6993 tons built 1928
    British Merit 8093 tons built 1942
    British Success 8222 tons built 1946
    British Guide ?? tons built 1948
    British Gratitude ?? tons built 1942
    so if any one can help I'd be more than grateful. In exchange he recorded the names of most of the officers he sailed with and the ports visited on the 25 ships in which he served and I'd be happy to check his book if anyone wants confirmation of whether a name appears.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Member

i was on just two BTC and BP tankers the most gentlmanly old man i ever came across was on the british defender in 59 and 60 he was rescued as a young apprentice or 3rd mate from the altmark in the norske ford dont know his name but was a true blue guy......cappy from shields

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I knew a bloke rescued off the Altmark Cappy. If remember he was. My relieve in 1968 or rather I was his on the Maratha Endeavour. In Shimonosakl Japan. Think his name was Norie Smith however he was a Welshman. Came to see me one time in 1972 to see if I wanted to go mate with him on a Workd Wide vessel. I was back in British flag vessels so had to knock the job back, otherwise would have gone. Believe he and his wife broke up and he died a good few years ago in a nursing home. Gone but not forgotten. Cheers JWS. Errata for Endeavour read Envoy. Js
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th November 2017 at 01:03 PM.

4. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##no john his name was not smith but just cant think.... he was a true gent cappy

6. Likes Dennis McGuckin liked this post