Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Thanks for this Site

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Barry Dock Shipping

Thanks, Marion, confirms much of what I had, but the picture is a treasure, seems to be done in Hong Kong.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Through me out a bit as I was initially going through Barry Dock records.

Your reply today helped a lot.

RE: 63 when he died, that seems old for a merchant seaman.

It was pretty normal, one of my relatives was killed 17th September 1940. Age 62.

Keith.

4. Thanks Ewen Todd thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ewen Todd View Post
    Thanks for the input, confirms what we knew about his family and more, but good background to the history of the ship and where he is buried. Apparently, Jane-Ann was very happy when she found out he had died because she thought he was not a good husband or father in his behaviour. Another tragedy was that there were two sons of this marriage; the wife Jane-Ann Ross Third and mother of my father-in-law lost her other son, Hugh William Third, who was shot down over Berlin in November 1940. He was a rear-gunner, and I saw his grave in that city many years ago.

RE: and where he is buried.

Sadly his death would be at sea, BURIAL Tower Hill Memorial London Borough of Tower Hamlets, Greater London, England is where he is Commemorated.

Keith.

Marian Gray Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Ewen Todd View Post
    Thanks, Marion, confirms much of what I had, but the picture is a treasure, seems to be done in Hong Kong.
    Ewen, Yes taken in HK. There is a photograph of Hugh's mother Catherine would you like that one also?
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 12th November 2017 at 11:57 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks, Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Please, Marian. She was born in Sligo and they started their married life there before moving to Peterhead. No indication how they got together, it is likely she was Roman Catholic and he was Presbyterian and they would not normally mix, but sailors go lots of places and this might not be an issue for them. There were 8 Taylors in Sligo in 1749 but none in Calry but that is a long time before she was born.

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Sergeant (Air Gunner)
    THIRD, HUGH WILLIAM
    Service Number 802490
    Died 20/11/1940
    Aged 25
    149 Sqdn.
    Royal Air Force (Auxiliary Air Force)
    Son of Hugh Nixon Third and Jane Ann Ross Third.

https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/c...-hugh-william/

Marian Gray Guest

97, Catherine Taylor was born on 21 May 1845 in Sligo, Sligo, the daughter of Jane [nee Gilmore] and Hugh. She married William Third on 25 August 1864 in her hometown. They had eight children in 15 years. She died on 14 June 1900 in Leichhardt, New South Wales, at the age of 55.

Ewen, Have sent you pm with photo.

It was a Civil Registration Ewen, will send you the reference numbers of marriage cert in case you want to order a copy from the General Register Office.... Catherine's photograph included in the email also.

Historical Background
    Civil registration of all births, marriages, and deaths in Ireland began in 1864 (except for non-Catholic marriages, for which registration started in 1845). Registration produced two sets of records: registers for births, marriages, and deaths and published indexes to these registers. The repositories for the records spilt in 1922, with the records for Northern Ireland being kept by the General Register Office (GRO) in Belfast, while records for the Republic of Ireland are housed at the GRO in Dublin. But the record set as a whole has survived and provides an invaluable source of vital information for Irish research.
    This database contains details extracted from the published indexes of Irish marriage registers. Details provided include
    name
    marriage year
    registration district
    volume and page number in the original publication
    You can use the information in the index entry to obtain a copy of the entry in the original register from the General Register Office.
    Last edited by Marian Gray; 13th November 2017 at 01:38 AM. Reason: added text

12. Likes j.sabourn, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks for this Site

I am tracing information on father and son, who are linked to my wife's family. The father is William Third, Master Mariner, born 1842 in Aberdeen and married Catherine Taylor of Calry, Sligo, Ireland in 1866. One child was born in Sligo and the rest in Peterhead, Aberdeenshire. I know nothing of his shipping experience but he probably was in charge of one or more ships since he was a Master Mariner. His third child was Hugh Nixon Third who was drowned at sea on the Homeside which was sunk in January 1941. I already have had more on him from contact with Old Friends Plus, thanks to you folks. There may be more Thirds in the maritime business as Aberdeen was and is an important port.

I also have Glasgow merchants John Young (four generations), my ancestors, who traded extensively and had ships coming in and out of port in the 18th and 19th centuries, but I have no information on how to find any information on those ships. But Old Friends Plus may not go back that far.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Thanks for this Site

As regards Peterhead I am familiar with as today is a port like Aberdeen geared up to cater to the North Sea oil Industry. Apart from the port itself the town is some way away, the closet industry to the port would be the prison which overlooks the harbour. Some of us received invites to the prison officers club which incorporated bar facilities and saved on taxi fares into town. I don’t know when the prison was built , but there must have been a large amount of the populace employed building it. Maybe enquiries into the history of the prison might turn up some names. That could maybe start with an enquiry on google. Regards JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th November 2017 at 02:54 PM.

15. Thanks Ewen Todd thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast