Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hello

Hello
    Firstly thank you for my admission to this wonderful site, I had originally been recommended to it from an old friend.

I am in the process of investigating my father's Merchant Navy Records of the Second World War.
    When he was alive he only spoke of a few things about his time in service and now he has sadly passed, all that wonderful information has gone with him.

I know he went into the Merchant Navy when he was nineteen and served all the way through the conflict.

I have purchased some kind of record from the national archives, which has some kind of coding example:- 1939 AT AF PA BU FR
    IT CL CL CL CL CL

I also know his record number and his full details are Charles Fredrick Dormer D.O.B 19.10.20 R.229944

Maybe there is someone or somewhere I could shed a bit more light on his records or where I can obtain any further information.

I know he did the Atlantic, Baltic and Mediteranean convoys during his time, but my family and I would love to know a bit more.

Sorry it's a long post

I look forward to any replies

Thank You

Keith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hello

Hi Keith
    Welcome to the site glad to have you here with us all!

I have purchased some kind of record from the national archives, which has some kind of coding example:- 1939 AT AF PA BU FR
    IT CL CL CL CL CL

1939 War Medal ( Campaign Medal Attainments)
    AT Atlantic Star
    AF Africa Star
    BU Burma Star
    FR French Star
    PA Pacific Stra
    IT Italian Star
    CL Clasp A medal bar or medal clasp is a thin metal bar attached to the ribbon of a military decoration, civil decoration, or other medal. It most commonly indicates the campaign or operation the recipient received the award for, and multiple bars on the same medal are used to indicate that the recipient has met the criteria for receiving the medal in multiple theatres.

This is a Link to his Seamans Pouch which will have limited info,more detailed info can be found with his CRS10 Documents at the NA Cheers

Name: Dormer, Charles Frederick. Service Number: R229944. Date of Birth: 19/10/1920. | The National Archives

The CRS10 will be in this Section at the NA but best to go in Person ,this will hold all Sea Service details Ships etc and a Pic of when he joined!

Doran J to Dorrill A J | The National Archives

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th October 2017 at 05:24 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc,
    Firstly thank you for the welcome to this site and secondly the information you have posted is truly amazing.
    The coding now makes sense due to the info you have given and I now need to make the journey to the National Archives to follow up his records. I am under the illusion from what he said that he did make some convoys up to Russia or The Baltic and made quiet a few to America, especially New York, so I cannot wait to cross the T’s and dot the I’s.
    Unfortunately I only have one photo of him in Australia in a pony and trap I would be interested to see if there are any other on file.

Again thank you for taking the time to reply and I will keep the forum up to date as it unfolds.

If there is any other avenues I could investigate, I would be most appreciate any information.

Again thanks

Keith

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the welcome and I hope I can be a solid poster on the site in the future.

With thanks

Keith
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 26th October 2017 at 12:12 AM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Dormer View Post
    Hi Doc,

If there is any other avenues I could investigate, I would be most appreciate any information.

Again thanks

Keith

I will try to assist, keep looking in.

Keith.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, Mike Stokes liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As of now I am not aware of other Avenues but am sure others will add something a wee bit later perhaps!
    The NA is your best bet thus far.
    If we know the names of a Ship we could look at the Convoys as well.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Dormer View Post
    I am under the illusion from what he said that he did make some convoys up to Russia or The Baltic
    Keith
    Wondered if you have been contacted by Russia / Ushakov medal etc.

K.

10. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith.
    Welcome to the site, hope you find out as much as possible about your Dad's wartime and any other service, it is unfortunate that during the wartime years people were not as forthcoming about what they did, although I was only five years behind my brother going to sea I had no idea what ships he served on until I started using a computer. I hope your trip to the Archives is successful., and please let us all know how you get on.
    Cheers Des.

redc.gif

12. Likes Doc Vernon, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have unfortunately not been contacted by anyone concerning any medals and know for a fact my father never had his medals after the war.

Hence I am interested to find out what he had attained during his service. Until I can find out more about her convoy duties and the facts, it is all a mystery to my family.

Would he be honoured with the Ushakov medal for his Baltic exploits? I can only assume.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Des,
    yes my father was quiet an unassuming man, who only spoke of good times really at sea, although he can recollect on many occasions just before he retired to his bunk from duty, he would always count the ships around his vessel and on returning to duty, make a mental note of who was still there and any ships that had perished overnight.
    He would always recollect his memories of his good time in America off board very passionately, much to my mother's glaring looks and comments "I thought you were off, helping the war effort!" she would laugh!

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

The deadline may have passed for Ushakov but, possibly the Russian Embassy could be contacted, they may assist or suggest further any next step even if it is for information.

https://rusemb.org.uk/press/1517

Would be worth an e.mail: info@rusemb.org.uk

Regards.

Keith.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 26th October 2017 at 01:22 PM.

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast