Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Member

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New Member

Hello and thank you for allowing me to join this great site my mane interests are Tugs and Salvage. My dad was in the Rescue tug Service he was one of the TATTIE LADS T.124T H M S Emulous wooden hull tug built at Camden .Then war ended then he was back in the merchant navy, his last company was TATEMS OF CARDIFF The ships name was CHULMLEIGH built in 1946-1961

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New Member

CHULMLEIGH (5) 1946 1961
    O.N. 180814 5349 g; 2882 n 429.0' x 56.5’ x 26.0'
    3 cyl. 2 S.C.S.A. oil engine by the Shipbuilders.
    1.1946: Completed by Wm. Doxford & Sons Ltd., Sunderland as CHULMLEIGH for Atlantic Shipping & Trading Co. Ltd. (W.J. Tatem Ltd. managers) having been launched as EMPIRE NORTHFLEET for the Ministry of War Transport. 1961: Sold to The Whalton Shipping Co. Ltd. (Stephens, Sutton Ltd. managers), Newcastle upon Tyne and renamed RUGELEY. 1964: Sold to Union Fair Shipping Co. Ltd., Hong Kong and was to have been renamed MADURA, however on 28.5.1964 the ship was driven ashore at Lanto after dragging her anchors during a typhoon at Hong Kong. 10.7.1964: Refloated in a damaged condition and sold to Hong Kong shipbreakers.

Cheers
    Brian

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two of the many other South Shields families I sailed with from masters to mates were the Barton's and the Jordans. Worked for Walter Runcimans and R.S. Dalgliesh from 1953 to 1966. Maybe your Dad did also ? Brian think maybe the Avonmoor was a similar ship built at Doxfords was also 3 cylinder and built in this case 1944. My home for 2 and a half years. Just about knew every piece of spar ceiling on her and where the parts of the box beams hadn't been swept properly as couldn't reach. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd September 2017 at 08:27 AM.

5. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site Robert
    Enjoy
    Ron the batcave

7. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well Robert
    You have taken a step to join this motley Crew so hope you don't go balmy like the rest of us LOL
    Welcome ! Hope you get a lot of satisfaction and enjoyment from the Crew!
    Thanks for joining!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

9. Likes Red Lead Ted, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Amess View Post
    Hello and thank you for allowing me to join this great site my mane interests are Tugs and Salvage. My dad was in the Rescue tug Service he was one of the TATTIE LADS T.124T H M S Emulous wooden hull tug built at Camden .Then war ended then he was back in the merchant navy, his last company was TATEMS OF CARDIFF The ships name was CHULMLEIGH built in 1946-1961
    Robert
    Welcome to the site, lots of info on here.
    My father was Captain on HMRT during WW2, HMRT Salvonia, St. Olaves and Prudent being amongst them. I have off and on over the years have attempted to get a record of the "services" i.e. salvages, that he carried out during WW2. The only item I have is a request from the Admiralty for services rendered to the "S.S. Ledall". He was stationed firstly in Campbell Town and then Milford Haven where he was involved in the PLUTO project.
    After the war he worked for Overseas Towage in Falmouth where he was in Command of the sister tug that went to the assistance of the "Flying Enterprise" of Captain Carlson fame. After that he took "Hercules" down to Gibraltar from Barry for Blands of Gibraltar, where we lived for 2 years. I have his payments for salvage and towage for his work there including us moving to Alicante for a while whilst he got the "City of Paris" off the beach where she had been driven ashore. After 2 years in Gib. we returned home to the U.K. living inn the Lake District where I grew up, he returned to the company that he had served his time with, Blue Star Line, ending up as Master but dying on board the Australia Star in 1960 as she was leaving Durban and being buried at sea.
    I studied for all my tickets in Shields, met and married her indoors in 78 and have been here ever since.
    rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi J A GOT THE Book TURMOIL FLYING ENTERPRIES GREAT READ THANKS FOR THE REPLY

12. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Met capt Carlsen ( spelt wrong ?) in the seamans club in Bombay think it was 1954 or 5. The ship he was on was the Flying Enterprise 2. In those days one was allowed 2. Large bottles of beer, a day. Don't know if he had his ration or not as was sitting at a different table. Didn't see him down Grant Road either, the usual stroll around the park after receiving your ration. Believe he finished up driving a tourist boat around the Harbour of San Francisco. Seemed a very affable bloke what little I saw of him. Dancey off the Turmoil i believe he was drowned in later life. My heroes as a boy were those on the HMS Amythst and the Yangste incident. I was slightly disallisioned in later life when sailed with a ch. engineer ex RN who had sailed with the key figures involved during the war. How easy it is to build a picture in your mind from press clippings. Was the same visit the 4 apprentices were invited on board the Anchor Line ship the Circassia that may be spelt wrong as well. Anyhow as was my night on board the other 3 went and I had to go the following evening for dinner with their cadets or midshipmen or whatever they were called. Had to borrow a pair of grey flannel trousers off the senior apprentice, he was 6 inches taller than me so just rolled up the bottoms , andan off white shirt and away I went. Never been so embarrassed as was in the passenger saloon and every one dressed to the nines. There are a lot of ex stewards on here so maybe one might remember an apparition dressed nearly as bad as Ivan whose wardrobe was the rag bag. Rgds JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th September 2017 at 01:53 AM.

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    There are a lot of ex stewards on here so maybe one might remember an apparition dressed nearly as bad as Ivan whose wardrobe was the rag bag. Rgds JS
    You should see my rag bag now! ain't improved much! but my shoes have a lovely shine, even my suede ones

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did you get them out of Elvis "s dust bin Ivan. He must have plenty of them at one time. Even used to sing about them cheers JS

17. Likes robpage, Ivan Cloherty, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast