Thread: Hi From Jim Scott

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Hi From Jim Scott

Hello there!

Name's Jim Scott. Raised in Shoreham, West Sussex, where worked on fishing boats as a kid then RNR (HMS Sussex) from my fifteen and a halfth birthday. Signed on for a 4 year deck apprenticeship with Reardon-Smith (Cardiff) and worked up to 3rd Mate. Attended Reardon-Smith Nautical College. Went 2nd Mate with Fyffes aged 21 then decided on a career change at 22 and became a hippie in Morocco. Drifted back to Gibraltar where got into ships chandlers work, commercial diving, then did some yacht deliveries which took me to the Caribs via Southern Africa and South America. Settled in BVI where was charter and private yacht skipper and finally ended up managing a ships agents there for umpteen years. In Canada these last 15 years, near Toronto, Was country Manager for Tropical Shipping, now consultant in ocean freight currently doing much with East Africa.

Spare time I also books in a series I call "Wanderings and Sojourns" with short philosophical stories from my experiences around the world (inc some Merch stuff) and my contemporary classical style of poetry (again, much sea stuff there too). I've posted some of my sea verses on the Poems and Ballads section of this site.

If you want to know more I have a website and a blog at www.caridiangroup.com. I'm also on Facebook group if interested https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wande...09257989178793

Looking forward to some chats here and maybe catching up with a few old shipmates.

Cheers all!
    Last edited by Jim Scott; 8th April 2014 at 12:36 AM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hi From Jim Scott

Hello Jim S
    Welcome to the site,and thanks for taking the time to post these dtails,as well as your Poems !
    I have read them.and they are really good,hope there are more to come,as well as more stories on your life both at Sea and elsewhere!
    A Hippie indeed! Nice change for a while,I suppose you were on the jolly weed for a while Jim LOL!
    Oh well life is full of ecperiences,and one must trial all that one can!
    Enjoy the site and thanks again!
    Cheers

Hope in time some here may recall you!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Doc V. Thanks for the welcome.

Yeah, I'll stick the odd poem up from time to time and so far as stories go, well, I've got a couple of books of those I've written and published but I don't want to push 'em here 'cos I reckon that's not what this site's about. What's the protocol for that? I reckon using this site for blatant commercial purposes/personal gain is (or should be) taboo. I see there's a recommended book section but haven't wandered over to that part of the site yet. Would it be OK if I listed my books there or isn't that how it works? No worries, I'm just happy to be here and can smell the red lead and the linseed oil on every post I open. Whoever built this put in a lot of work and did a great job. Wish I'd known about it before now. Cheers for now! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim Scott; 8th April 2014 at 12:47 AM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, robpage, Captain Kong, Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Jim S
    I am sure it would be OK to list your Books on the Forum you mention,as long as you don't make it a sales pitch,that is give the Link etc to the actual Book Sellers!
    The Lads on here can if they wish look it up themselves.
    I myself would have a look as well,as I have quite a few Books relating to the Sea and others in my collection!
    I am sure that Brain the site owner would agree to that,well I hope so!
    Thanks for asking anyway!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

8. Likes robpage liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Welcome to the site Jim.
    Hope you have a long and happy trip
    Ron The batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Scott View Post
    Hello there!

Name's Jim Scott. Raised in Shoreham, West Sussex, where worked on fishing boats as a kid then RNR (HMS Sussex) from my fifteen and a halfth birthday. Signed on for a 4 year deck apprenticeship with Reardon-Smith (Cardiff) and worked up to 3rd Mate. Attended Reardon-Smith Nautical College. Went 2nd Mate with Fyffes aged 21 then decided on a career change at 22 and became a hippie in Morocco. Drifted back to Gibraltar where got into ships chandlers work, commercial diving, then did some yacht deliveries which took me to the Caribs via Southern Africa and South America. Settled in BVI where was charter and private yacht skipper and finally ended up managing a ships agents there for umpteen years. In Canada these last 15 years, near Toronto, Was country Manager for Tropical Shipping, now consultant in ocean freight currently doing much with East Africa.

Spare time I also books in a series I call "Wanderings and Sojourns" with short philosophical stories from my experiences around the world (inc some Merch stuff) and my contemporary classical style of poetry (again, much sea stuff there too). I've posted some of my sea verses on the Poems and Ballads section of this site.

If you want to know more I have a website and a blog at Caridian Press | Home of the Writings of Jim Scott. I'm also on Facebook group if interested https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wande...09257989178793

Looking forward to some chats here and maybe catching up with a few old shipmates.

Cheers all!
    Hi Jim,

I was one of four of us that went to Reardon Smith Nautical College in 1971. Names were yourself, Douglas Hotchkiss, Colin Gibbs and me. I lost track of you when returning for ONC 3 in 1973. I think we 4 departed Smiths of Cardiff in 1974. I returned for Mates' ticket in 1975 and caught up with Douglas Hotchkiss working in Cardiff as a postman. I stayed on at sea disappearing to Swire Pacific Ship Management to get sea time for Masters. I don't know what happened to Colin Gibbs . I heard he left after a reported incident on the Atlantic City. I stayed at sea, going foreign flag and gaining tanker experience. I left the sea in 2002 and went ashore doing security work. I briefly returned to shore based ship safety inspection but now am retired. Obviously a lot of changes over time.

11. Likes Captain Kong, Chris Allman liked this post