Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Happy New Year! 70th Atlantic & 70th Arctic Convoy Anniversaries this year.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Happy New Year! 70th Atlantic & 70th Arctic Convoy Anniversaries this year.

Happy New Year!

I'm a professional military history writer and have enjoyed using this site for research purposes. I'm proud to say that I come from a family of merchant seamen from Liverpool, who all served their time in WW1 & WW2. Now I write about their adventures and keep their memory alive in ebooks. August 2012 was the 70th Anniversary of the Malta Convoy. I decided to write the story of my late grandfather, Thomas Smedley, then 52. He was a merchant seaman on the Brisbane Star, one of the few surviving ships from Operation Pedestal, that made it to Malta with vital aid for the starving maltese people. I published this short ebook packed with photographs, maps and leading personalities of the day on Amazon kindle, and have since sold lots of copies.

So for New Year anyone with memories at sea, write down your stories in an ebook and start a new career for yourself! I've since sold (at a low cost) other ebooks on WW1 and WW2 stories. I'm at present writing about the arctic convoys, my late father, John Richards, then 20, was on the convoys that led to the Battle of North Cape: December 1943, which resulted in the sinking of the German Battlecruiser 'Sharnhorst' and the apalling loss of 2,000 sailors. The 70th Anniversary of the Battle of North Cape is in December this year. My respect goes to all sailors on all sides who lost their lives in WW2. There are no winners in war. It was a job that had to be done.

There is also the 70th Anniversary of the Battle of Atlantic this May and that will be the third ebook I plan to write in my WW2 convoy series. It is important that we keep these events alive in peoples minds and that the younger generation continue to appreciate the sacrifice that many of our ancestors paid during WW1 & WW2. If anyone is interested in reading my short naval ebooks or have a general interest in WW1 or WW2, type in Alex Devaney Amazon ebooks and you will get to the site.

Best Wishes and start writing your sea memories!
    ALEX DEVANEY
    Last edited by Alex Devaney; 6th January 2013 at 08:49 AM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default LINK:

All my short military history ebooks in the WW1 & WW2 series, are written in an easy to read, informative style. Packed with maps, photographs and leading personalities of the day. An ideal read for busy people on the go!

LINK: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Alex-Devaney/e/B009BLBSJ6

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Alex Devaney. Thanks for your support!

Hi Keith

Thanks for including the link to my ebook site. I liked your 'those who come after..' quote, because that's the spirit I write my books in. Even now when I do my research about the convoys, I'm blown away by the sheer courage and bravery of what my Dad & Grandad went through (and everyone else!). I'm going to use that quote in one of my ebooks.

Also thanks to Alf Corbyn, Cappy, Capt Kong, Keith Tindell, Charles Louis Barron & Richard Quartermaine & many others who may be inspired to write their own sea memories!

Best Wishes,
    Alex Devaney.
    Last edited by Alex Devaney; 6th January 2013 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alex
    What inspiration. I have been writing down my memories for quite some years and have an interest in writing. You may care to log onto my name on this site and open my "Home Page". This is the website I built and publish for a later era in my travels and it will give you a glimpse of my endeavours. In fact I have written the first chapter of "My Journey through Life" and if you are interested I will be glad to send you a link and have your thoughts on what I am doing.
    With kindest regards,
    Richard Q
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default LINKS:

LINKS HERE:

Queensland Insurance Company Oldies

Members Posts

Hope the linls are helpful.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Richard
    I checked out your home page and read your website with interest. I enjoyed the photo gallery, you all look so well in Australia with your sun tans! We don't get that in the North West of England. Also liked the 50s and 60s photos. Your article about your time on the 'The Burns Philp Ships, SS Morinda,' was good. Naval magazines are always looking for ancedotes at sea, plus photographs.

I see that you was a steward. My grandfather-in-law, Edgar Crabtree, worked as a steward in the 20s and 30s, on the blue star liners from Liverpool to New York. I did an article about his experience on the liners, which I had to research, but you don't need to research it's all in your head! So keep writing your stories down, as you have been. You write in an easy to read style, with ancedotes that people will find interesting. Send your Chapter Link, as you suggest, or I will email you, which ever is best, next time your in the forum.

Best Wishes,
    Alex Devaney.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Devaney View Post
    Hi Keith

I liked your 'those who come after..' quote, because that's the spirit I write my books in. I'm going to use that quote in one of my ebooks.

Alex Devaney.

RE: "Let those who come after see to it that his name be not forgotten"

The qoute I use was from am Irish Monument at the time, though is used much and several variations exist:

A google or similar search for "Let those who come after see to it that his name be not forgotten" would find much.

EG: WW1 Bronze Memorial Plaques

'He whom this scroll commemorates was numbered among those who, at the call of King and Country, left all that was dear to them, endured hardness, faced danger, and finally passed out of the sight of men by the path of duty and self-sacrifice, giving up their own lives that others might live in freedom. Let those who come after see to it that his name is not forgotten.'

LINK: Trenches on the Web - Special: British Commonwealth Memorial Plaques

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Arctic Convoys

hello Alex
    If you are looking to read some exciting stories go to the Russian Arctic Convoy Museum site. Plenty there to keep you interested !
    Best wishes
    Brenda Shackleton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Devaney View Post
    Hi Richard
    I checked out your home page and read your website with interest.....
    Thank you very much Alex. My private email address is (Keith has emai) l and I would be pleased if you would make contact.

This is a great site for old 'sea dogs' and the very first month after I joined a little over two years ago another member, Colin Duke with whom I sailed in 1949/50 and who was a good pal in those times and now newly restored, made contact from Eastbourne, UK. The great member to member rapport with all those of like experiences has been a great pleasure and revival of interest and at 82 years young my best by date is catching up and I would like to get as much compiled as possible. Your arrival on the scene is particularly welcome.

Best wishes to you,
    Richard Q
    Last edited by Richard Quartermaine; 6th January 2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Removing email address
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default e.mail:

Copied the email etc, this will for safety be removed PDQ.

k.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast