Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Jonh i jacobs/cargo ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Jonh i jacobs/cargo ship

Can anyone tell me if like myself served on the mv beechwood that was owned by the john i jacobs company ,i was on board her for a couple of trips one to monrovia and one to mermansk in russia payed off in glasgow the first time and immingham the second time this was about 1973 .i was a cat-boy in the galley,my e-mail is HERE
    Last edited by Tony Morcom; 17th April 2014 at 09:34 AM. Reason: replacing email address with site link for member's own security.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Welcome!

Hi Nick
    Would just like to give you a warm Welcome to this very good site!
    Here you will find lots of info,a good Crew here and with luck also find a few old Shipmates!
    So sit back grab a Tinny,relax and just enjoy the trip!
    Hope we will have you here for a long time! Have a happy stay!

Cheers

Vernon (Doc Vernon)

Hope that someone mat remember and get back to you!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Nick, I was Chief mate on the Beechwood (ore carrier) from May 71 to Nov. 71. Thereafter on other J.I.J. ships including their tankers. Have been to the ports you mentioned at various times on various ships maybe have been the Beechwood. I remember 1 deck boy from Liverpool whose father was adamant that he wanted his son at sea, however on the Murmansk run he was seasick the full length of time, on return to Liverpool his father came to ship and insisted his son continue for another trip. However he was the same the following trip, and the boy did not want to be there, so the father had to accept the fact that his son was not cut out for a career at sea. You would probably remember this if you had been there the same time as me. Best Regards John Sabourn.

5. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi john ,i dont remember that trip but the russia run was the one when we got back the dock strike was on so we were stuck at anchor for weeks ,i remember thet there was a drastic lack of air conditioning so on the monrovia run we slept on the monkey island .it was one of the happiest ships i sailed on and will always have great memories of the crew and the officers of the beechwood,hope to here from you about if this trip rings a few memories with anyone who also sailed on this great ship.cheers nicol smith

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Nick, sorry late in replying but been away on an extended trip. Looking further at one of my old discharge books, I was also on the Beechwood from August 73 until April 74.Thereafter joined the Hollywood and then the Laurelwood John I. Jacobs tankers. UK ports re Beechwood where Articles were opened were Cardiff and Glasgow. Believe after the Glasgow trip went to Murmansk also. This was in November and was very cold in Russia that trip. Cheers John Sabourn.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi, I sailed on the MV Beechwood (John I Jacobs) Tanker from Oct 1963 till March 1964, she was laid up in a backwater at Falmouth, Did John I Jacobs, name all their ships "Beechwood"
    Alan Flarry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Alan, Ships when I was With J.I.J. were Beechwood and Cherrywood which were Ore Carriers, Rosewood Bulk Carrier, Laurelwood and Hollywood Clean Product carriers. Maybe the Beechwood came after your time on the Beechwood the tanker. I joined J.I.J. in May 71 and left in August 75, on them selling all their vessels supposedly to pay for one of the so called then big super tankers, which was laid up one of the Norwegian Fiords, dont think it ever did a voyage for J.I.J. Regards John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Jonh i jacobs/cargo ship

Hi Nick
    Didn't serve on the Beechwood but sailed on the Cherrywood and Laurelwood, cant remember the dates exactly but on cherrywood around early 70's I did Monrovia, Murmansk, Vitoria (Brasil), Seven islands (Canada).
    I was 4th Engineer.
    Was on Laurelwood again around 1970, spent time around Pacific Islands, total 13months, best trip I ever did.
    After leaving John I Jacobs I joined Mobil Oil only to find myself back on the Laurelwood which was then named the MV Saucon

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8... James I was on Cherrywood Jan 73 to May 73, Laurelwood 5/9/74 to 8/12/74 was flown down there off the Hollywood whilst she was on the Kiwi coast , paid off in NZ when came off coast and flown home Cheers John S.

13. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For some reason was on the Oakwood over on the continent. Was sent over and she was in Drydock. Maybe she was being sold and handed over, cant remember the reason for being there was about a week, sometime in the early 70 to mid 70"s. Cheers John S

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast