Thread: The Pulse

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Pulse

For those who read the Pulse or maybe better today for those who don’t read the pulse two outstanding eye catching things this month.
    The 19 March marks the death of Sir Douglas Bader and the writer could not let it pass without this story.
    He was giving a talk to an up market Girls School about his time as a pilot in the Second World War.
    “ So there were 2 of the fxxxers behind me, 3 fxxxers to my right and another fxxxer on my left.”
    The headmistress went pale and interceded “ Ladies the Fokker was a German aircraft “,
    Sir Douglas replied “ That May be so Madam but these fxxxers were in Messerschmitts. “. JS

There is a very true article written by a Stephen Woolley this month also about life as it was in our times.

JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Pulse

A very interesting Magazine is the Pulse,and I too get it Monthly,i have in the past posted where to get it if you are interested but again here are details .
    I think many will like it.
    Cheers

Capt, Malcolm Mathison,National Vice Chairman, The Merchant Navy Association
    296 Laceby Road, GRIMSBY, NE Lincs, DN34 5L

Tel: 01472277 266
    Mob:07831622 312

www.mna.org.uk

R546060@aol.com Send Email to Subscribe its Free.
    Thank You

THE STANDARD BEARER

I am a standard bearer, I’m striding mighty proud, Conscious of my posture as I pass the cheering crowd, My standard is a tribute - represents the men, Who served and died for country, plus veterans since then.

You may see the likes of me, with gloves and belt so white, Leading homage with my colleagues in uniforms alike, Since the Romans with their signum or vexillum toting rag, There has been a `banner bearer` with his special flag.

An honour and a privilege I do the job for free, I ask no fame or kudos nor princely sum or fee, Unabashed to shed a tear at funerals where I go, I’m thinking of my freedom and debt I surely owe.

I stand tall at the functions, or freedom of a city, The cenotaphs, or marching, where bands beat out a ditty, Tis fitting and my duty - while the last post sounds ahead, For me to dip the standard, remembering the dead

Dedicated to all Standard Bearers – inspired by `Wings` Barry’ - Bristol Branch Merchant Navy Association. Joe Earl

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sir Douglas Bader ( One of the great RAF Pilots of the time ) With Respect.

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron, William J Plank liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

A few more from our MN poet Joe Earl

at link:

http://joesverse.simplesite.com/160596375

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes William J Plank, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In our pub in Sole Street Kent many years back now we had a customer who had been a fighter pilot in WW2.
    Badly burned when his aircraft caught fire he underwent many operation to resume some form of normality.

Biggin Hill air was not far from us and this man often went back there, mainly to reminiss, but often spoke of Bader as at one time he had been in his squadron.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes William J Plank liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

told that story at a big corporate function in Atlanta USA My divisional boss was the guest of honour with his German wife. You should have seen the frozen smile on her face I wondered if I would have a job next day. I survived

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6... was shanghaid into giving a talk on maritime affairs a couple of months ago much against my will as am no public speaker, and have since done another and been asked to do a third to a Probus, to break the ice. I read this poem of Brian Kongs.This poem I believe was giving to a shareholders meeting of Exxon some years ago. I also asked the audience if anyone knew the brightest star in our universe only one knew an ex seaman and gave the. Correct answer the sun. It is amazing the lack of knowledge the general public have about shipping. Still find it a bit of an ordeal to talk to strangers though. Cheers JS

11. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post