Thread: Memories

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Memories

How fortuanate we were to grow up at the best of times.
    Enjoy the walk through our “ growing up time”.
    Mergatroyd !
    Do you remember the word ? Would you believe the spell-checker did not recognise the word Mergatroyd ? Heavens to Mergatroyd !
    The other day a not so elderly lady ( I say about 75) said something to her son about driving a Jalopy, and he looked at her quizzically and said what the heck’s a Jalopy ?
    Well I hope you are Hunky Dory after your read this.
    About a month ago , I illuminated some old expressions that have become obsolete , these phrases included Don’t touch that Dial, Carbon Copy, You sound like a broken record, and Hung out to Dry, back in the old days we had a lot of moxie. We’d put on our best bib and brace, to straighten up and fly right.
    Heavens to Betsy, Gee whillikers, jumping Jehoshaphat, Holy Moley.
    We were in like Flynn and living the life of Riley, and even a regular guy couldn’t accuse us of being a knucklehead .
    A nincompoop or a pill. Not for all the tea in China!
    Back in the old days , life used to be swell, but when’s the last time anything was swell ?
    Swell has gone the same place as beehives, pageboys,the D.A., of spats,knickers , fedoras,poodle skirts, saddle shoes, and pedal pushers.
    Oh ! My aching back and Kilroy was here, but he isn’t anymore.
    We wake up and before we can say .. Well I’ll be a monkeys uncle or this is a fine kettle of fish, we discover the words have gone
    Poof go the words of our youth. Long gone. Pshaw, the milkman did it, hey it’s your nickel, don’t forget to pull the chain , knee high to a grasshopper, fiddlesticks, and going like 60, I’ll see you in the funny papers , and wake up and smell the roses.
    Leaves us to wonder what Superman will find in the phone booth, see you later, alligator. Okidoki.
    We are. The children of the fabulous 50s, created for us by the Greatest Generation.

JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 15th March 2019 at 04:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Memories

Kilroy, where did he go, who knows as all we saw was half a face and a nose.
    But it is not just those words.
    Here in Oz there was a report that much of the Aussie slang is dying.

Shot through like a Bondi tram,
    flat out like a lizard drinking,
    dry as a Pommies bath towel,
    dry as the Simpson,
    stone the crows,
    getting off at Redfern,
    cold as a mother in laws kiss,
    spitting chips,

There are thousands more dying as the younger generation have their own now,
    words such as like and wow, used a dozen time in one simple sentence
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post