Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Why all the tears

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Why all the tears

Considering that his competitive tennis playing days have been cut short owing to a hip injury at the age of thirty one, Andy Murray had every right to feel emotional.
    Most probably the shedding of such tears in public was down to sheer frustration knowing that his injured hip had let him down at the height of his tennis playing carreer.
    I wish him all the best as no doubt he will have to undergo another hip operation.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm still waiting with bated breath and so far it hasn't happened and that is the big headlines "He's a Hero" every bloody footballer, rugby player, even a cricketer who scores 50 runs out here in Aus is a bloody Hero, the use of the word is so common that when applied to someone who saves a life it is meaningless.
    Cheers Des

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des, you almost got it right, but most are no so much hero's as stars and super stars.
    Not quite sure what a super star is, have heard of a super nova, but yes we do put too much into them.

The good sports persons such as Federer never complain, just get on with the game and that is what makes them so good.
    Too many prima donnas in sport now who think the world owes them something.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    I'm still waiting with bated breath and so far it hasn't happened and that is the big headlines "He's a Hero" every bloody footballer, rugby player, even a cricketer who scores 50 runs out here in Aus is a bloody Hero, the use of the word is so common that when applied to someone who saves a life it is meaningless.
    Cheers Des
    ###or legend des as if they were some great warrior or true hero like grace darling or a lifeboat crew or the SAS in the london crisis......bloody paper tigers......sad world now or someone putting his life down for his friend .....jeez we are sick of hearing about this tennis player over here....cappy

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hero:

1. a man of distinguished courage or ability, admired for his brave deeds and noble qualities.
    2. any person who has heroic qualities or has performed a heroic act and is regarded as a model or ideal.
    3. the principal male character in a story, play, film, etc.
    4. a person who is greatly admired; idol.
    5. (in antiquity) an individual possessing godlike prowess and beneficence who often came to be honored as a divinity.

K.

7. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And thanks for Google
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

9. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

You have used it often, no matter what you say different.

The information I have added is for general interest.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    Considering that his competitive tennis playing days have been cut short owing to a hip injury at the age of thirty one, Andy Murray had every right to feel emotional.
    Most probably the shedding of such tears in public was down to sheer frustration knowing that his injured hip had let him down at the height of his tennis playing carreer.
    I wish him all the best as no doubt he will have to undergo another hip operation.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Fouro, I wish the guy nothing but all the best for the rest of his life. But there was certainly no need for all the dramatics and tears on T.V. Here is an athlete who we should all shed a tear for and no $100,000,000 in the old bank account.

Carly Tait, a sprint wheelchair racer, is four months away from trials to represent Great Britain at this summer’s Paralympics in Rio – but she now finds herself at the sharp end of the government’s controversial cuts to disability benefits. The 30-year-old from Wythenshawe, south Manchester, who has cerebral palsy, received a lifetime award of disability living allowance (DLA) when she was 18 and for the last 12 years has used part of the benefit to lease an accessible car.
    Tait describes the car as her “lifeline”. She says it has allowed her to attend university, have a job, get to two training sessions a day in Stockport, about 10 miles from home, and compete in track events around the country. But after being assessed in February for personal independence payments (PIP) – the government’s “points-based” benefit introduced to replace DLA – Tait has been told she will lose her car, which is provided by the Motability charity scheme.
    Under the new rules, to be eligible for the Motability scheme, a disabled person needs to score 12 assessment points. Tait scored 10. “I had training half an hour after I opened the letter [from the Department for Work and Pensions],” she recalls. “I spent the entire time crying as I went round the track. My coach rushed over asking what’s wrong. There I was sobbing, ‘I’ve lost my car. They’re taking my car. And no Vern I am not getting political. Just saying it as it is Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    Fouro, I wish the guy nothing but all the best for the rest of his life. But there was certainly no need for all the dramatics and tears on T.V. Here is an athlete who we should all shed a tear for and no $100,000,000 in the old bank account.

Carly Tait, a sprint wheelchair racer, is four months away from trials to represent Great Britain at this summer’s Paralympics in Rio – but she now finds herself at the sharp end of the government’s controversial cuts to disability benefits. The 30-year-old from Wythenshawe, south Manchester, who has cerebral palsy, received a lifetime award of disability living allowance (DLA) when she was 18 and for the last 12 years has used part of the benefit to lease an accessible car.
    Tait describes the car as her “lifeline”. She says it has allowed her to attend university, have a job, get to two training sessions a day in Stockport, about 10 miles from home, and compete in track events around the country. But after being assessed in February for personal independence payments (PIP) – the government’s “points-based” benefit introduced to replace DLA – Tait has been told she will lose her car, which is provided by the Motability charity scheme.
    Under the new rules, to be eligible for the Motability scheme, a disabled person needs to score 12 assessment points. Tait scored 10. “I had training half an hour after I opened the letter [from the Department for Work and Pensions],” she recalls. “I spent the entire time crying as I went round the track. My coach rushed over asking what’s wrong. There I was sobbing, ‘I’ve lost my car. They’re taking my car. And no Vern I am not getting political. Just saying it as it is Terry.
    Terry,
    my daughter has a mobility car and what a trial it is to achieve, the people who administer this system are terrible, but I wont dwell on that just now. While visiting the garage the Motability sales lady was recounting how they had just had one returned from a disabled person, who primarily used to travel to work in it.
    They took the car away, the person subsequently lost her job as she was unable to use public transport and now has to live on benefits.
    So who is winning here then? She is worse off and govt, has to fork out benefits, it does not add up.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"Heyou" next door , has been in this country for 13 years, has Never worked, he has a "BAD BACK" his wife has a car, his son has a car, now he has a free car, Mercedes, off the motorbility,
    Nowt wrong with him. just had another baby.
    "This is truly paradise " he told me.

But if your true British ,no chance, But if you are from overseas, anything.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 16th January 2019 at 04:02 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast