Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Cutty Sark

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cutty Sark

The usual rubbish on TV tonight, apart from one program may interest some, its on channel 5, at 2100hrs, and is on the Cutty Sark, completely rebuilt from the fire of some years ago. There is no footage of her from those days, but as a doccu could be interesting, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Cutty Sark

One of my must do's. Pre the fire 2005. Just looking at the wheel I can see where " Wooden ship and Iron Men" came from. The shore bosun could not believe it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Keith at Tregenna Guest

The contribution of the Merchant Navy is remembered at Cutty Sark in a memorial by sculptor Maurice Lambert.

Cutty Sark was placed in Greenwich as a memorial to the Merchant Navy, particularly those who lost their lives in the two world wars. The sacrifice of the Merchant Marine for their country is still too little known and the sculptor Maurice Lambert’s memorial to the Merchant Navy, which was restored in 2011, is displayed prominently at Cutty Sark.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/discover/explo...-navy-memorial

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill
    That's the size of the wheel I was on steering the Bounty up Sydney Harbour. Ropes running around the hub and through block and tackle to haul the rudder around. My son has made me a model of the Cutty Sark everything on it down to the wheel.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went on board her in 1962 on my honeymoon. Don’t remember my wife being exhilarated by the experience , at least she was in drydock so couldn’t lay claim to being sea sick. I found her very interesting and remember reading her history on the bulkhead down the hold . She never really made any great sailing records , as the masters were always considered very conservative as to carrying a lot of sail. Think the Thermopylae was one of the record breakers about the same era. The Greenwich Museum However was fascinating and wish had more time there, but my wife didn’t know it she would have many years of competition with all sorts of weird things that floated. So had to be a bit considerate or would have finished up with broken mirrors. Especially as was back at sea a week later and didn’t see for 7 months. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 5th January 2019 at 03:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few interesting facts regarding the ship, Races – The Cutty Sark was designed as a merchant vessel, primarily to transport tea from China. Due to the product’s popularity, annual races were held to bring the year’s first tea to England.
    Shirty – The Cutty Sark’s name translates as ‘short shirt’ in modern English. The name was taken from the famous poem by Scottish poet Robert Burns, Tarn o’ Shanter.
    Wool – In the early-20th Century the Cutty Sark was bought and redesigned to act as a ship to transport wool. As such, its homeport was switched from London to Lisbon, Portugal.
    Dry – In the early-Fifties the Cutty Sark had fallen into disrepair through lack of maintenance. But in 1957 it was restored and positioned in a dry berth near Greenwich, London.
    Fire – In 2007 the Cutty Sark was set alight by vandals, leaving it with extensive damage. Luckily, much of the vessel had been dismantled for restoration. The ship reopened in April 2012.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The dock is on chanel 5, not known for good coccus, but i will give it a go. I visited her in 2006, and she was stripped back to her metal frames then. Agree with all you have said Ted, but query your caused by vandals, here is a report in the telegraph at the time, and understood it to have been caused by a hoover left switched on overnight, could be wrong of course, newspapers notoriously unreliable, kt

- - - Updated - - -

bloody spell checker, should read Doccus
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Keith, There are conflicting stories I also heard your theory on the hoover. I tend to believe my version, All have our own beliefs Terry.
    {terry scouse}

9. Likes Keith Tindell, Bill Cameron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Duke of Edinburgh was the driving force behind the saving of the Cutty Sark in the 1950's.
    The programme Cutty Sark is on C5 tonight at 21:00 hours.
    Vic

11. Thanks Chris Allman thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted, Bill Cameron liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

13. Thanks Bill Morrison thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast