R689823

2. Thanks Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: In praise of the Tally man

Very true to life though. People born later well after the war would not believe half the stories. We live today in a materialistic world where if you want something you get it regardless of debt. I had 600 pounds in the bank when I got married in 1962, that was a large sum for those days , with that put the deposit down on a house 240 pounds on a 2,450 pound house with the remainder furnished the house mostly with G plan furniture , no carpets just Lino, had no money for stair carpet so had to buy on the HP , and never relaxed until that was paid off. Most couples newly married lived with parents until saved for the deposit on a house or flat. Today the banks make borrowing too easy. As regards the world burying itself in a pile of rubbish and the call for recycling...this is an old theme and was being adhered to long before many on here were born. Refundable glassware such as bottles, was the one way of doing so. As kids we could get into some of the Saturday movies with two empty jam jars. People used to make their own rugs with pieces of scrap materials. People valued what they owned. Today everything is discarded when people get sick of the sight of. People have everything and they have nothing, especially when they don’t appreciate what they do have. Third world countries see all this through the power of the present day media, and say we want some of that, and decide to illegally invade other countries in the guise of seeking safe havens. The soft western countries which are already polluted with the pc people and other conscience ridden people who can’t see past the end of their noses aid and abet them causing further furores of trouble in an already over populated world. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 13th December 2018 at 11:50 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I never worked as a kid, in our village it would have done the local post office cum shop owner out of his job, he did the paper round, postman, plus the shop, he was the thinnest man in the village. But then talking about working as a kid, I started in the tin works when i was fourteen and I can say without contradiction that no one today up to the age of twenty would be able to do that work, girls the same age worked there handling big packs of tinplate.
    As for borrowing, never borrowed any money in my life , never had time payment always saved up until we could afford it.
    Cheers Des

5. Thanks j.sabourn, Rodney Mills thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't know what the rate of interest is if you calculate it but I know somebody that borrowed £400 last year and paid it off over 40 weeks at £20 a week we knew that they had paid back £800 in 40 weeks that in my mind is greater than 100% interest . But I am assuming that by the time the provi collector has been round every week , and drawn a wage , at the administration been paid for and the bad debt gearing has been covered it actually sounds almost fair . The local loan shark lend you money this week and next week you pay him 50% of the money you borrowed so if you borrow £100 on Tuesday next week you have £150 debt and a lot of the people that borrow from them have absolutely no other choice .

I listen to the demands that children put on adults and I think that even though we wanted lots of things that we knew that my mum and dad couldn't afford I just don't ever think that we asked for them you was always very pleased with what you got , I don't think today's Society is geared up in the same way .

My grandma used to run a Littlewoods catalogue and I think her children used to pay in something like 5 shillings a week and every 6 months had 5 or 6 pounds to spend and gran made something like a shilling in the pound commission . It was almost like you waited your turn and everybody had a go at spending the £5 but you might have to wait 6 months for your turn .
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

By the age of 9 I was doing weekends on a Pig farm for 10 shillings a time.
    At 11 I started a paper round and continued with the Pigs.

Apart from home loans only had ones for vehicles.
    Mum used to pay into the Co-Op weekly for cheques we used to buy clothes, about 10 bob a week I think she paid.

Made me take out a term insurance on my life when I went to sea, it was for 44 years.
    Paid out a couple of years ago and got back 17.5 times what I paid in.

If you want it work for it, do not borrow from any other place than some one of total integrity, stay away from the back yard lenders.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes cappy, Rodney Mills liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Union Castle ships in Southampton used to have a guy visit them to sell insurance from I think the national mutual of australasia and in those days they wanted £10 a month of you I thought that bloody ridiculous I just wonder what it would have been worth today if I have paid the £10 a month for the 40 years
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We hear that people saved up till they had the money to pay cash for what they wanted many families couldn't get through the week on the wage that they had coming in and most little grocers as they were then gave them groceries on tick.Go into the shop on Friday settle up the weekly bill and start again next week.It did happen "I'l put your name in the window" I seen many shops with bad payers names in the window,some small shops used to have DEBT OF THE WEEK these were handy for the tally man as if he got a new call he could look in the shop windows and see if his new prospect was listed.

I recall women coming into the office as a new customer answering the questions on the application form when they were asked husbands occupation they would reply in a low voice docker does that mean I cant have it.At that time the dockers were on poor pay unless they got 5 7 0'clocks and the weekend,the nugget as it was called.When the dockers went on the new scheme and the wives were asked husbands occupation they would answer in a very loud voice DOCKER.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    As a matter of interest Provident were all over the UK but one place they would not go into was Hull I wonder why that was,was it that the fishing industry was too casual.
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 14th December 2018 at 10:28 AM.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the modern way Jim, is much the same as you say, but not on tick in the grocers, but the dreaded piece of plastic, i see that Barclays are putting in place a system to stop people getting out of control with plastic cards. I remember at school, my brother was 4 years younger than myself, and my old man worked for the local big wig, and walking down the village one day, was stopped by the ice cream van, the the guy in the van asked him if he had a ginger haired nipper who was at the village school, he then told the old man that he owed 4/6p , as my brother had run up tick on the ice cream van at the school gate, needless to say the old man was not a happy bunny, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Brady View Post
    We hear that people saved up till they had the money to pay cash for what they wanted many families couldn't get through the week on the wage that they had coming in and most little grocers as they were then gave them groceries on tick.Go into the shop on Friday settle up the weekly bill and start again next week.It did happen "I'l put your name in the window" I seen many shops with bad payers names in the window,some small shops used to have DEBT OF THE WEEK these were handy for the tally man as if he got a new call he could look in the shop windows and see if his new prospect was listed.

I recall women coming into the office as a new customer answering the questions on the application form when they were asked husbands occupation they would reply in a low voice docker does that mean I cant have it.At that time the dockers were on poor pay unless they got 5 7 0'clocks and the weekend,the nugget as it was called.When the dockers went on the new scheme and the wives were asked husbands occupation they would answer in a very loud voice DOCKER.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    As a matter of interest Provident were all over the UK but one place they would not go into was Hull I wonder why that was,was it that the fishing industry was too casual.
    you say people saved up as if it was impossible jim .....if you cant afford it dont buy it ..that is what the problem with the left is ....ooops take all you want somebody else will pay .....the never never and the pay later has been the ruin of this country ....as for the followers on of the provy type companies ..they have weak people hooked ....charging 100s of percent interest for the no hopers who wont pay there rent ist which is the most required thing for any family.....leaving them in a state of penury and distress most of there lives and breeding there children to live the same lifestyle...that jim is why there will always be the ....haves and the have nothings .....there money has gone before they see it .....tally men well they would starve before they got out from me .....poverty and degredation caused by having what they cant afford .....then off to the food bank and blame somebody else .....how sad a life they must endure....but then that is the state of play now ........cappy

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy nothing wrong with borrowing money if it is spent on the right things.This country is still borrowing WHAT are they doing with it,lets forget about high employment lets talk about high knife crime,high attacks on prison officers the NHS talking about a bad winter hospitals are already suffering a shortage of beds and winter hasn't arrived yet.So let them borrow more money and lets have more bobbies on the beat,more prison officers more money for the NHS. you cant' run a country on fresh air.if they don't want to borrow let them get after the big tax dodgers.I'l tell you one thing the people who used Provident wisely had the best houses on the estate,yes lived in comfort.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

16. Likes robpage, happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast