Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Duties of Deck boy /JOS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Duties of Deck boy /JOS

Not being deck know little about it, but was the scale JOS, then EDH and for AB you had to do for years and have a life boat ticket?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    Not sure if this is what you want. Deck boy Two years, then JOS two years Then SOS two years, then sat for EDH, I did twelve months as EDH then got on as AB.
    Cheers Des

4. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Allman, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I joined in 68 2 trips deck boy (9months) then joined shell 9 months jos then sos on the same trip of 56 weeks . Then went to nzsco a 4 month trip as sos then took my edh then 12 months later got my ab ticket .deck boy duties on the port adelaide were spilt between 2 dbs .crew deck mess peggy and deck crew showers and toilets and alleyways cleaning . 1 week on then swop around po's mess showers toilets alleys ways. Between theses duties clean brass butts on the handrails clean the bell .then assigned to an edh or ab to learn ship maintentance and seamanship and the rest they say is history .

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1963 first trip deck boy Reina Del Mar PSNC. A real eye opener and fantastic insight on how to become a man in a short space of time. You went away as just a 15 yr old boy and after just 6 months returned home a man. Thats what my Dad said. Peggy, scrubbing the deck of mess room on hand and knees washing uo serving meals etc seeing to the crews needs such as ironing their shirts and pants cleaning shoes doing what the lads expected of me. In return the lads on there showed me the ropes on deck and ashore hehehhe. The Captain a Frenchman John Jaques a true gentleman who treat me with the greatest of respect, after hands a knees scrubbing deck of bridge and cleaning all the brass including taff rails on the wings Captain Jaques would invite me into the chart room and try to teach me how to read a chart i was never much good at math give me steering practice and then invite me for the noon sightings on the wing of the bridge with the chief mate sec and third and apprentices. What a fantastic introduction to my life at sea.

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

56 hour working week, 1 shilling and nine pence an hour overtime, no time and a half, no double time, 8 hour day of sailing and 8 hour day of departure, some times we forget or chose not to remember, kit service from the amidship galley, last in went hungry, usually the deck boy.
    Dont get me wrong i enjoyed my time at sea, but some of the treatment we got was just wrong.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###why no bonny lad what about an egg every day for breakfast plus two dinners a day ,,,sundays at sea bronzy on tap ....cheap ciggies .......seeing the world before it all looks the same .....the delights of the honkies world wide the excitement of the channels ....and best of all pay off day and the journey home .....and shipmates some never forgotten ....... looking back my cup runneth over .....regards cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Petty View Post
    56 hour working week, 1 shilling and nine pence an hour overtime, no time and a half, no double time, 8 hour day of sailing and 8 hour day of departure, some times we forget or chose not to remember, kit service from the amidship galley, last in went hungry, usually the deck boy.
    Dont get me wrong i enjoyed my time at sea, but some of the treatment we got was just wrong.
    Bob but it beat swinging from a high rise crane with one foot in a sling, I still remember that Maori when I was talking to you with my foot in the loop getting the crane driver to lift me up. Hope you are keeping well mate.
    cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###why no bonny lad what about an egg every day for breakfast plus two dinners a day ,,,sundays at sea bronzy on tap ....cheap ciggies .......seeing the world before it all looks the same .....the delights of the honkies world wide the excitement of the channels ....and best of all pay off day and the journey home .....and shipmates some never forgotten ....... looking back my cup runneth over .....regards cappy
    Yes Cappy, and when you got home mum said,
    'Good to see you son, when you going back'????
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes cappy, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by R 864382 View Post
    I joined in 68 2 trips deck boy (9months) then joined shell 9 months jos then sos on the same trip of 56 weeks . Then went to nzsco a 4 month trip as sos then took my edh then 12 months later got my ab ticket .deck boy duties on the port adelaide were spilt between 2 dbs .crew deck mess peggy and deck crew showers and toilets and alleyways cleaning . 1 week on then swop around po's mess showers toilets alleys ways. Between theses duties clean brass butts on the handrails clean the bell .then assigned to an edh or ab to learn ship maintentance and seamanship and the rest they say is history .
    I made a boo boo, I realize I was on my first ship Trevose for two years and in that time went from Deck boy to SoS.
    Cheers Des

15. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    I made a boo boo, I realize I was on my first ship Trevose for two years and in that time went from Deck boy to SoS.
    Cheers Des
    Des, Deck boy to SOS, did that mean you were in trouble?????
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

17. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 LastLast