Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Musical Instruments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Musical Instruments

Pen and Wig ???????????? That's a boozer hear in Liverpool Harrington Street, Don't know where that come from of course I meant the Pig @ Whistle
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Much admiration do you make for being a with a play the harmonica I must admit I bought one I think it was a hofner and we'll it came an instruction book on how to play it I've got a funny feeling it was something like the Larry Adler learn to play the harmonica instruction book well to be perfectly honest as it engineer you always do the job first get confused and then read instruction book I think by the time I got to the confused age I lost the book and never ever mustard the harmonica
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Red Lead Ted View Post
    xmas, Windsor castle in the pen and wig old boy used to play the piano for anyone that would get up and sing the sherbet was working so up I got and sang my heart out I had a few good mates on there who where stewards, One came up with the idea of equipping me with a musical instrument...…………………. A wellie {Sea boot } A galvanised bucket, And a chipping hammer sounded great at the time. Mungo Jerry had nothing on me only difference he made a few bob, Very happy days indeed Terry.
    ###in the pen and wig on the windsor ......must be the tablets ted your meeting yourself coming back ......best washboard sound on an old tramper was a mosquito metal net port cover.....and a fork scratched over it.....great sound .........cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ON a Tanker with two London AB;s who always shipped out together, one had made a guitar; lovely sound, the other a model of the tanker we were on, used miniature sheets of cardboard stitched together with needle and cotton to look just like the steel plates on a ships side, had lights in side, and in the dark looked terrific. In Port Said they got on the piss had an argument, one dropped the model tanker out of the porthole, Rags the owner, looked out to see it floating away, turned around and put the guitar over his mate's head, they both ended up laughing their heads off. Great shipmates.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

While an engineer on the Royal Mail ship 'Deseado' I had occasion to be the saxophone player in a group on board known as the 'B Deck V', composed of 5 engineers playing the trumpet, saxophone, trombone, bass fiddle, and drums.
    Thing is, the trumpet was the only real instrument, and the lad had played in a band ashore. the rest of the instruments were made of .......tea-chest & broomstick with a false front that looked like a bass fiddle. Trombone and saxophone made with silver-paper, wire, copper and brass tubing and a funnel, and kazoo fashioned mouth pieces. Drum set made from various sized drums & cans, canvas, metal & wood, even had a foot-pedal for the bass-drum, brass shim-material used to make cymbals, drumsticks made on the ship's lathe.
    I have a photograph of how professional it looked and I will try and post it on here if I can.......never done it before so here goes.
    B deck 5.jpg

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a bulk carrier on the coal run from Richards Bay to Le Havre we had a guitar, a set of bongo drums and a tea chest double bass. Had a good guitar and double bass player on board but as for the drums, none could master them. We also had a real old fashioned Indian deck Serang who all the rest of the Indian crew were terrified of as he would often give anyone of them a good hiding if they failed to follow his orders. At one indian festival we were having a celebration party and he turned up dressed in full boatswain uniform and once the music started it turned out that he had a fantastic singing voice, he sung all Johnny Mathis songs and if you closed your eyes it was almost like you were hearing a recording of Johnny Mathis.
    On another ship I was mate on we had a number of deck cadets and in Kwinana they went ashore with the rest of the lads and they all ended up in the ale house, as you do. There was a piano in the pub and one of the cadets sat down at it and started belting out all sorts of tunes on it and had the whole place singing along to such an extent that the lads got free drinks all night.
    He may have been a great musician but he was bleddy useless Jessie as a deck cadet.
    Rgds
    J.A.

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3