Thread: Royal docks, London, 1968-1969

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Royal docks, London, 1968-1969

In October 1968 I signed on the Beaverfir, a 4500 dwt. Cargo ship, 4 hatches with 10 ton Derrick's in union purchase and a 30 ton jumbo which was a bit of a change from my previous ship, a 66000 ton tanker.
    I joined in Vic docks and the run was 10_14 days discharge/ load in London, then across to Antwerp for a couple of days or more to continue loading and occasionally a quick call to Rotterdam and occasionally le have. Then it was off to Montreal, Toronto and Hamilton to discharge and backplane. In winter we just did Saint Johns, nova Scotia.
    I was cadet and stayed until July 1969, never going home during London in port except for two days over Christmas.
    So why did I not take any leave every time we were in London?
    Well in 68 the docks were still full of ships under the red Ensign and the pubs were heaving, opening at 6 in the morning. I spent many drunken spells in the New Got, the Station Hotel ( the first structure to get a coat of paint in themes green colour of c.p.s new funnel design, before they had finished marking out the design on the funnel of the first ship to receive the new design), the Friday night disco at the mission, the big pub, the Greyhound? By the tidal basin, the Railway? That not only had great live music along with the first bar to have topless Gogo dancers. All that along with the likes of the prospect of Whitby, the bright lights of Leicester square, ship parties with nurses from Plaistow hospital. Is it any wonder I stayed on board instead of going home to a small village in the Lake District that didn't even have a pub!!. Eventually the personnel officer told me I had to sign off....boo_ hoo!!. Signed off a month's salary (£35 p/m) in debt. If only I could do it all again, too right, even paying off in debt.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Royal docks, London, 1968-1969

Well John that brings back some memories. The Round House near the Woolwich Ferry first stop, on to the Prospect of Whitby ( the wall at wapping ) so on and so on spoiled for chose I remember The Ruskin Arms, Manor Park you had to be early to get in standing shoulder to shoulder trying to get to the bar was an ordeal and the reason was this clip.
    Bill

https:// Sincerely - YouTube

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John Just a query, are you sure you didn't mean St John's New Brunswick I did 21 trips on Beaver Boats and always went to New Brunswick In winter.

5. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fred only a small thing it is St.John N.B. and St John's N.S.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 12th November 2018 at 04:45 PM.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

7. Thanks Frederick Lacey thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re#4&3
    Yes guys, that was my senior moment. Winter runs we discharged and loaded in St.John, New Brunswick, which in those days only had 3 places where you could get a drink. We used to have tremendous parties every night starting at 20:00 and going on until 06:00 the next day, with the nurses and telephonists working a shift pattern. Around midnight the party would quieten down and you thought that just maybe you would get an early night in but then about 30 minutes later a fresh batch of girls who had just finished their shift, would turn up wanting to party hard.
    Every night there would be up to 50 rampant girls on board and at one time we actually had joint parties with a Manchester liner, that our 2 nd engineer had previously sailed on.
    My job as cadet the throughout to 20 day port stay in freezing temperatures and feet of snow, was during the day spend it in the bosun's store far, making up wire slings out of old cargo runners ( which the mate later sold to the shore at $5 dollars a pop.
    Then at evening it was puncturing and tossing overboard all the empty all cans, then it was off up the road to get burgers for all the officers as no one ate dinner as they were all catching up on zzz' s.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    you forgot to mention the "Kent Arms" near the gate of KGV dock and just along the road from the Woolwich Ferry, which aged 8 was my first time on any vessel, coal fired we used to look down through a grill at the stokers shovelling away sweating like a pig (Hard bloody work). Think it was named "Will Crooks" and run by the old L.C.C.
    Last edited by Graham Payne; 13th November 2018 at 01:57 PM.
    Graham R774640

10. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the 50s St.John, New Brunswick, in winter must have been the most miserable place on the planet. It was a Dry State, No where to get a drink, No Bars. The local residents had to go to the Police Station to Register to get a permit to buy liqure from the only Liqure store in town. Visitors could not use it.
    The only place we could go to was to Gars Diner, a store with a coal bogey to sit round and drink a coffee. BORING.
    We spent Christmas there on the Empress of France in 1958..Dismal.
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 13th November 2018 at 03:32 PM.

12. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Brian
    Believe that prohibition ended about 1966 in New Brunswick. By 68 on my first trip there, although there were only about 3 places ashore where you could get a drink, on board it was party central. Coming onto the berth that first time there were two groups of people awaiting for us to tie up. Asmall group of agent, immigration, port officials etc. and a much larger group of young ladies eager to start partying. The rush for the gangway was won by the girls and 30 minutes later both the officer's and crew bars were overflowing with hard partying lads and lasses. This went on for the next 20 days until we sailed and during that time I saw many things that would make a grown man blush and are too ribald to put down here, suffice it to say that the ship was more akin to a floating brothel without the need for any money needed in order to get a leg over.
    Rgds
    J,A.

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Went to St.john NB quite a few times,to young to drink so looking for a beer was not a problem.Trips ashore were to Gars Diner,the mission hall opposite Gars which held dancers,the picture house around the corner from Gars with park benches for seats,the Blue Cross which was like a mission (by Reversing Falls I think) and the bus into town todo a bit of shopping in Woolworths.There was a thread on here once regarding which was the worst port ever visited St.John in those days must have been near the top of the list.When I was bellboy on the France for some reason I often had a chat with this particular passenger ,I was most surprised when I met him in town in St.John where he was working as a bank messenger I thought what a place to emigrate to and end up with a job like that.Maybe it was just a springboard for him.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    Last edited by Jim Brady; 14th November 2018 at 03:51 PM.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent time on the Beavercove and the Beaverdell , London, Antwerp, Montreal or St Johns, Antwerp, London. Antwerp before London left one a bit shaky !
    Personnel Officer on a ship ??? How things change.
    Terry Sullivan