Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Head Line Shipping

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Head Line Shipping

fair hd 3.jpg Taken recently on my motorcycle trip. I was going to post a few more but the file size is to big will post this for now and sort out the file size for my next post. this is Fair Head and I took the photo from Torr Head. A day or so later I took some more from Malin Head. I am sure some of the Ulster Steamship companies (Head Line) ships were called such names.

2. Thanks j.sabourn, N/A, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, Keith Tindell, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: Head Line Shipping

tor hd 6.jpgMalin hd 2.jpgmalin hd 6.jpg Torr Head & Malin Head. It is over 40 years since I was at Torr Head. The scenery is amazing. 5 of us did part of the Wild Atlantic Way. Mostly we had really great weather. On the Sunday we rode from Belfast towards Derry and got the ferry across Lough Foyle and then onto Malin Head in County Donegal. Malin Head is the most northernly point in Ireland from there we followed the coast roads as much as possible following the Wild Atlantic Way we stopped overnight in Killybegs, one of the largest fishing ports in Ireland. Next day we set off and carried on round the coast down as far as Westport in County Mayo. When you get the weather right in Ireland the scenery will match anywhere in the world .mayo 9.jpgmayo 11.jpg.They are a good group of lads me being the eldest by 10 years, but as they tell me no such thing as ageism in the motorcycle world, this is the Irish connection. We did Germany earlier this year but there was 20+ on the run. Heading back to Ireland again in a few weeks for another bike meet up but there will be 20 of us this time and thankfully on the ride I will not be the eldest.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I must say you look a right bunch of scallywags !!!, said in jest Lewis. I've only been to Ireland once, down South, but its on my list to visit again, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the Marwick Head as a lad of 18 years old and sailed with some wonderful Scotch men /island of Orkney seamen phew salt of the earth great characters me from shotton colliery and there galic lingo could hardly understand each other wonderful sailed around the top of Scotland wild and wonderful

6. Likes Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    fair hd 3.jpg Taken recently on my motorcycle trip. I was going to post a few more but the file size is to big will post this for now and sort out the file size for my next post. this is Fair Head and I took the photo from Torr Head. A day or so later I took some more from Malin Head. I am sure some of the Ulster Steamship companies (Head Line) ships were called such names.
    Lewis, if you are interested in the Head Line, there is a huge facebook page dedicated to all things Head Line. I'm sure it's founder and enthusiastic administrator - Susanne P. Carter - would welcome any input and related pictures you may have. Wonderful company with a fascinating history.
    Last edited by corrientes; 19th August 2018 at 09:34 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, there are some wonderful parts of that coast line, rugged in parts but with a beauty of its own.

I notice in the photo you are the only one wearing dark glasses, had a bad night maybe LOL?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Lewis McColl Guest

No John did you not spot my white stick, lol, my glasses are transition lenses. They are really great when on the bike. My helmet has a sun visor which you can flip down but I am not so keen on it. But suffice to say there were a few with bad heads from the night before. I limit myself these days to just a few beers in the evening. Off on another Irish road trip again tomorrow. This will be the last one for this year. There will be the same bunch along with another 15 or so. Doing the Wicklow Mountain and around the Wicklow national park.wicklow mountains.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the early days of container shipping, in C.P. we ran a joint service from the U.K. to Canada with Head line, initially useing converted cargo ships. Think the Rowan Head was one of theirs on the run. Sailed with a few ex head line guys, notably a sort Belfast chief officer called Ralph Potts. He eventually ended up running his own shipping agency in Belfast in the 80's.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, those transition lenses are great, got a pair of 'sunnies' that work that way.

Wicklow mountains great stuff I know you will enjoy it.
    With any luck we will be in Ireland again next June, wife is from county Tipp.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first ship was the Inishowen Head and then the Tor Head, Rathlin Head and on the rest of them around the UK coast.

14. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast