True story on ED's M/V Perang , she had a Steam whistle but it was never used as later in life she had an air typhoon one retro fitted.
Anyway the Oldman and the C/Eng hated each other. Both sitting in the bar one night they went at it over the use of the Steam whistle. The Skipper said he wanted to test it and the Chief said no way. But as we all know he who must be obeyed got his way. The chief told the mate he would need to get access to the whistle to make sure everything was free as it had been sometime since the Steam Whistle had been used. So just because Cappy wants to play God it was a work up for everyone. I was on my 3rd trip on the Perang so was familiar with the systems. There was a condensate drain line which you had to crack open so that you only had live steam feeding the whistle and not condensate as well. The chief said when the bridge ask for steam on the whistle DO NOT drain the condensate, I will buy you a beer later as you will get a bollocking ok!!!
So as we were leaving Apapa when testing the gear Cappy and Chief are on the wing of the bridge. The Cappy says test the steam whistle as well 2nd mate. I had popped my head out of the engine room and as soon as the 2nd mate pulled the lever the Chief stepped inside the wheelhouse. The Cappy complete with steaming bonnet & full whites got covered in what is best described as Brown Windsor soup.
Luckily we had Freetown crew boys on as extra, they were Holly stoning the bridge & boat decks for days after that.
Never did get a bollocking but the Junior Eng and myself did get a few pints from the Chief Engineer, I think he even put it on OCS as well so as to add insult to injury. Funny we never tested the Steam Whistle again that trip.gsob1.jpg as you can see the Perang had a snub funnel.