Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: The assumption a hard ship was a happy ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The assumption a hard ship was a happy ship

We had an unwritten rule any disagreements were not allowed to carry over after work was over and we were in the ships bar.
    Vic

2. Likes robpage, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Well Ivan, was it some Lady or other who said to Winston Churchill. Sir I believe you are Drunk, to which he replied , yes Madam I am, but in the morning I will be sober where as you Madam will still be ugly. At our age one can always lose weight but I believe concerning growing an inch or two after the age 25/27 for men is a rare event. My weight is coming down nicely, August last year I was a portly chap tipping the scales at 126kgs, just over 105 kgs this morning. Not changed a lot in my life style, cut down on the beer, grill rather than fry , eating loads of salads & greens. Also doing a lot more exercise. Must be an age thing though as I was never a giant to begin with 5' 10'' but now only 5' 9''. The annoying thing is though you know when you just cannot reach that thing that is just finger tip out of reach and you have to get the wife to get it, a real pisser that. Hope you enjoyed the dancing very admirable wish I could dance but not really a great mover on the dance floor. I always was pretty handy on the rugby field though, pretty mobile for a forward even played at a decent level right up until I was in my mid 40's.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 24th April 2018 at 09:28 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Well Ivan, was it some Lady or other who said to Winston Churchill. Sir I believe you are Drunk, to which he replied , yes Madam I am, but in the morning I will be sober where as you Madam will still be ugly. At our age one can always lose weight but I believe concerning growing an inch or two after the age 25/27 for men is a rare event. My weight is coming down nicely, August last year I was a portly chap tipping the scales at 126kgs, just over 105 kgs this morning. Not changed a lot in my life style, cut down on the beer, grill rather than fry , eating loads of salads & greens. Also doing a lot more exercise. Must be an age thing though as I was never a giant to begin with 5' 10'' but now only 5' 9''. The annoying thing is though you know when you just cannot reach that thing that is just finger tip out of reach and you have to get the wife to get it, a real pisser that. Hope you enjoyed the dancing very admirable wish I could dance but not really a great mover on the dance floor. I always was pretty handy on the rugby field though, pretty mobile for a forward even played at a decent level right up until I was in my mid 40's.
    Congratulations on your weight loss Lewis, keep it up. As we get older, (you've a bit to go yet) and when over 70 you'll probably start to lose height at what seems an alarming rate, now over 80 my bones are still contracting, it's normal apparently! as I was only 5' 8" at my peak (some peak!) I'll soon be a Lilliputnan, however been of restricted height and (in the past) of slight girth my size was very useful for double bottom (ship construction type) inspections and crawling through them. Earlier than that I was like a whippet pup which made for great agility when climbing masts and shrouds. Also being of minute proportions made me a harder target when getting shot at, so every apparent disadvantage always has a silver lining, also I have a little stool for reaching the top shelf as wife is only 5' 2", so the stool is well used. However I haven't found a cure for my ugliness and it's too late to bother now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reading these posts I am so glad that I was on deck and not an engineer or mate as seems that they had more problems than the rest of us probably because of all the pomp that they had to go through. Yep signed on the Port Macquarie and ended up on a Manz run. The skipper was nuts and for all of us that jumped at different times so that hardly any of the original crew signed of and the union stepped in so that when we returned there was no penalty for any of us due to the conditions of said ship. Can honestly say that if I coud turn back time would still have signed on the same ship simply because of the deck crew at the time. Lewis got to agree with you mate about aging and have you also noticed how much stronger one gets as we get a few more years on us. That part of the body that one could not bend is more easy to bend and how much bigger ones hands have become because it takes two hands to hold the breast instead of one so yes we do change as we age LOL
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

6. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

I have to be honest concerning that part of the body!!! That is how I know my waist line is decreasing as it was only the other day I said hello have not seen you for a while!!

- - - Updated - - -

Ivan you know what they say , goodness comes in little bundles. My Daughter in law is only 5' 2" but has a heart of gold, she sure looks after me and also tells me off if she thinks I am not behaving. The Grand daughters have me on the soft an all, and the youngest is just coming up to 5 months and already she knows she only has to smile at grandpa and I melt.

8. Likes Ivan Cloherty, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All these grand aspirations of Charlie Atlas and wanting to be the tallest man on earth reminds me of a. Recent conversation.
    When I first noticed one of my male organs was growing larger I was delighted. But after several weeks had grown out of all proportion and was having trouble walking, so the wife and self went to see a prominent urologist.
    After an initial examination, the doctor explained to us that, though my condition was rare ( donkey doodle) could be fixed through selective surgery.
    How long will he be on crutches? My wife asked anxiously , “ Crutches ? Why should he need crutches ? “ responded the Doctor .
    “ Well “, Said my wife coldly“ your gonna lengthen his legs, aren’t you ?”.

Moral never look a gift horse in the mouth I suppose. Never met anyone in the world who looked up to the Charlie Atlas’s of this earth.
    JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th April 2018 at 11:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#24... Les the first word pomp should be pomp and prejudice. No. Matter what beliefs you have there was prejudice in shipping circles, and most of it depended on family background. Was not what you knew it was who. This was not so obvious on tramp shipping as in the liner trade. Where family ancestry was part of your interview for acceptance. Today is supposed to be null and void but you don’t have to dig down too far to still uncover it. The same as the armed forces promotion depended on your ancestry. The occasional roughy tuffy who got through to flag or brigadiers rank was probably to let the public be aware that all were equal, good propaganda. Tell that to the marines. We live in a funny old world. A well known saying during the last war by the British Tommy was if Hitler had of had British troops and German officers he would have been unbeatable. The German troops didn’t faze the British army but their officers worried them as they were mostly fanatics for discipline. JWS.

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#10... Heard of a fireman’s lift Lewis, what’s an engine room lift ? Or are we back to elevators , Ivan you were half an inch bigger than me at 16. You Goliath you. I don’t think that saying is always true about big man big thingy, small man all thingy, Lewis is the proof of that as lost his. Cheers JWS.

13. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Ivan Cloherty, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all.
    I was on 7 BTC tankers on one the British Guardian did four trips, and as most of the crews were from Swansea we mostly knew each other, never had trouble that i can remember, until I joined the British Builder now that was twelve months of hell owing to just one man; the skipper. One one run from the gulf to NZ he had us doing fire drills 24/7 just about; just because we had held her up in Durban until his wife was sent home. In NZ so many of the crew jumped it was in the papers. Chief Eng, and i think the third, there were only two of us from the original deck crew on her when we left NZ, my brother who had jumped the Derryclare in 47 told me to stick it out and emigrate which I did.
    But I will say this all the other BTC ships I was on were OK.
    Cheers Des.
    PS I later met the Chief Eng in Dunedin, he had a farm and trained trotters.
    Last edited by Des Taff Jenkins; 25th April 2018 at 01:50 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #10... Heard of a fireman’s lift Lewis, what’s an engine room lift ? Or are we back to elevators , Ivan you were half an inch bigger than me at 16. You Goliath you. I don’t think that saying is always true about big man big thingy, small man all thingy, Lewis is the proof of that as lost his. Cheers JWS.
    john i am 5ft9in but all my friends call me big john and ask if i am an organ downer ? jp

16. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, cappy, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast