Leaving the farm had in the end not been so bad, I had made up my mind that on the Monday morning I would go to the shipping ‘Pool’ and make enquiries about a life at sea. Keith had done it almost a year earlier and was doing very well. He had been to see me at the end of one of his trips and told me all about it. He was with P& O sailing to the far- east, places such as Singapore, Hong Kong, and other similar ports, he was having a ball. He informed me of his experiences in strange bars meeting some very odd people, including women of less than decent repute. But what the hell, it was all good fun and he was off again in a few days to another part of the world. He had given me the inspiration to go and see what it was all about.

At this point all I knew was that I had to go to the ‘Pool of London’ somewhere near the King George Fifth dock. Leaving home on this journey mum looked me in the eye and told me to take it easy and come back with some positive news. The train journey to town was uneventful, unlike those earlier trips with the lads from school, somehow everywhere looked so different to when we traveled in those days. Arriving at Waterloo station I decided to ask the best way to get to the ‘Pool’. Thankfully the guard on the gate knew the way, he was very helpful informing me that his son was in the’ merch’ as he called it, and wished me good luck. I arrived at the pool, a daunting place with ships from all countries berthed along the river, where to go from here I wondered? Looking around I noticed a gatehouse and decided to ask there as to where I should go, there is always someone in life, I have discovered, that will tell you where to go. The gate house guard was deeply engrossed in the racing pages of the paper and took some time to take note of my presence, and when he did asked in a very laid back manner as to what I was doing there. I explained why and enquired if he could show me which office I needed to go to. After a few seconds of eyeing me up and down he indicated the way I should take. It was not far from the gate to the office so I soon found myself inside.

I had no idea what to expect once inside and was not sure which part of the building to go to, the guard had only indicated the building, not which part. The building was old and not very well lit, but there appeared to be a front desk behind which sat a lady, a very big lady, so I decided to ask where I should go. She was very nice and indicated that many young boys like me had been through her front desk, and you can make of that what you will, and she thought I looked very good and would no doubt do very well. I was instructed to take a seat and wait while she informed the manager I was there, as I had no appointment I would have to wait until he was free to see me. How long I waited I am not sure, it seemed like a long time, but on reflection was most likely only about twenty minutes. While I waited I was given a form to complete, a long form, with so much detail with questions such as have you any family at sea? Having completed the form I was informed that I should give it to the manager when I went into his office. I was eventually called into the office and went in with some trepidation, I could see as soon as the door was opened that the lighting in the office was no better than outside. He stood there in front of me, not too tall, but tall enough, but it was not his height that caught my eye, it was the make up I thought he was wearing. I knew well from what mum wore what make up looked like on a face, and this guy was wearing make up, eyeliner, lipstick, and face powder, he did not walk, he minced across the floor.
More than that was the limp wristed manner in which he greeted me, the weak handshake, his general manner, and demeanor, and what can only be described a ‘blue rinse’ in his hair. This guy was as camp as a row of tents, though at that time I was not aware of such persons as the only gay I had met to date had been Tom the teacher, and he dressed and acted quite normally, not like this fairy. He instructed me to be seated and as I sat I was aware of his eyes on me, I was not comfortable in his company. His first question was very simple as he asked me what had brought me there? I answered quite simply, a train to Waterloo and then the bus. That was not the answer he wanted but it helped to break the atmosphere and he made comment that I was a bit of a comedian. What he required to know was why I had come to his office. I then had to explain the events of the day with Pat, and how dad fitted into the situation. He asked a number of questions as to my background and what did my mother think of my joining up? He then asked where I lived, and when I said Lee he told me that was just across the river. I had to explain that the Leigh he referred to was not the Lee I was speaking of. Having got that, and other details, out of the way he then informed me that I would be accepted as he thought I would go very well with most ships crew! I was not impressed by his comments and was becoming to realize that all the staff in that office were of dubious nature, I wanted to be on my way. Again he shook my hand with that weak sickly shake informing me that the paper work for my entry would be forwarded to me in the next week. I was out of there like a shot from a gun and made a quick dash for the gate where the guard was waiting for me, enquiring how I had got on and what did I think of the manager, and did I get my end away with Gladys? Gladys was obviously the lady on the front desk, and no I did not get my end away, not that time, but then she looked and sounded like the ‘dock bike’ anyway. All I wanted to do at that point was to get away from that place, go home and assess the situation, but I knew I would have to wait until the manager got back to me. The journey home was uneventful but I had time to think on what I had seen and heard that day.

I arrived home to be greeted by mum who wanted to know how I got on, and what was going to happen. I related to her the journey and the interview though I thought it expedient to leave out some details at this time. Dad will be pleased mum told me; he thinks you will do well even though he would have liked you to stay at the farm. Mum then told me that I should go and visit Bob on the Woolwich ferry, he had been to sea for a number of years and maybe he could give me some advise! That will do for another day I considered as at that time I knew I had to find some source of income while I waited to hear from the ‘pool’ and I knew even then it would be some time before I was called up as the training courses only took place every six weeks for catering staff. I had been given the choice by the manager, catering, deck, or engine, but on the advise of Keith had chosen catering and as it transpired it was the best move of my life.

Dad arrived home a bit early that evening and told me he had some good news for me. I told him of my day in the same way as I had told mum, leaving out the more ‘juicy’ bits as I did not think they would be too impressed by them.

An excerpt from my book of life history.