Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: The wit of shipboard Queens

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The wit of shipboard Queens

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gale View Post
    Lets face it, with them life aboard would be extremely boring at times. A lot of my friends are gay and they are the funniest and most loyal friends you could wish for. They are always the ones with the most cheerful countenence and outlook on life.
    Some I am sure spent their life not sure why they were the way thye were, so a cheeful outlook maybe helped them to get through. It must be very hard to be of one gender when your body and mind tells you otherwise.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Alan Gale, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Regretfully the gay types of yesteryear were a far different cry from today's genre, who can be nasty, vicious, bigoted and scream like a stuck pig when they think they have been slighted or had their imagined rights infringed

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think a lot of us who were married and continued at sea did not really do our wives justice, and threw them into the deep end at times, incidents I can remember which must have been very confronting to her, s uch as when home on leave, one of my old ships the Rosewood was in the Tyne and the Chief Steward phoned and said he was coming round to see me. This was before the Tyne Tunnel was in use so must have cost him a fortune for a taxi round through Newcastle which he kept waiting outside my house. He arrived with the cabin boy who was not straight and who came mincing into the house waving a bottle of Babycham saying I've brought you a drinky poo Mr. mate. Think the wife was thunderstruck and had a bit of explaining to do later. Another time Arrived home with the second mate and his wife who he didn't want to leave in Belfast (during the troubles). The 2 of us had to commute daily to a Middlesbrough drydock. Used to get funny looks from the wife when got home at nights. Appeared the second mates wife was an alchohlic and used to disappear with a gin bottle to her room. Big fine looking woman the 2 mate and her the next thing to professional ballroom dancers, she was an ex windmill girl. Found out later it wasn't his wife but someone elses, further garbled explanations and excuses to the wife. On board one ship the Chief Steward was an ex pal of Danny LaRue and spent all of one evening in the smokeroom showing her pictures of himself in his younger days, must admit he/she looked a corker. There were other instances of her having to meet unexpected types of people, and self didn't give too much thought to, as should have been maybe a bit more circumspect. However as someone says there was in general no harm done by such persons, they were happy with their lot, I suppose since they have made it legal it has made the subject a bit humdrum. Taking the spice of life out of the living the part for them, when it is so common nowadays. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, There was a guy you may have heard of by the name of David Garrick, {All will become apparent} This guy lived in Seaforth in a little flat with his partner. I first met him while working on maintenance for his landlord many moons ago. After doing some work for him and realising who he was we became quite good friends he would come and have a coffee at my place quite often and vice versa. Neither him or his partner ever pestered me or although I new they were an item never even mentioned it or did it ever come between our friendship. This guy would show up every xmas birthdays any celebration regarding my 7 grandkids with a gift for them. He even took one of my sons to Germany with him which I had no problem with at all. This guy lived in Seaforth because he was a good friend of Seaforth born and bred the late Kenny Everett Big T.V. comic and radio presenter as you no. As you say once you new them they were just ordinary people and I think the fact that he knew I was at sea amongst the queens and would never slag a person off for there sexuality he could see that in me. He came to my house one Sunday morning a few years ago he had took such a beating by some local scum I couldn't recognise his face. He and his partner had a beautiful place full of antiques and memorabilia from all over the world I coaxed him no end not to move away from the area but to no avail and he moved to Chester with his partner. I exchanged xmas and birthday cards with him for years sadly not this year he passed away earlier this year. But before I refresh you who he was I have to say if everyone I am friends with was as sincere as him the world would be a better place. R.I.P. Dave. Regards John Terry. p.s This wasn't all he done but best known for.

David Garrick - Dear Mrs. Applebee 1992 - YouTube
    {terry scouse}

gray_marian Guest

#48, Would be great to hear about these "salty dogs" Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by gray_marian View Post
    #48, Would be great to hear about these "salty dogs" Mike
    I do believe Hot Dogs were far better, well according to some UCL first class wingers
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry John, I wasn't suggesting anything "strange" just wondered if you were the John S I sailed with on the Oriana. "" Straight" Alan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,
    Back in the Fifties I did a pier head jump. Joined the Durban Castle sailing morning. I was signed on, given my cabin number and told to report to the chef as I was the fish cook. He told me to go and get settled then get changed and report back to him. I went below found the cabin which was either a 6 or an 8 berther. I walked in the door and all I could see was hanging from overhead pipes dress after dress after dress. I soon realized who and what my cabin mates were. I managed to a week sleeping in my bunk (top one first one in the door). Too much night time activity so I finished up sleeping on a hatchway until the warm weather then it was on deck.
    Thanks.

11. Thanks N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    gray_marian Guest

#51, Hi Herb, Is your biography obtainable in the UK?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Gray.
    How did you know about my biography?????? I wrote it in Oz this year and only published two copies. One of which stayed in Oz and the other is here with me in Canada.
    Thanks
    Herb

14. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast