Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: ship rumours

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: ship rumours

Hi shipmates ,on the Bridgepool one of ropeners easy ships, After 18 months we had a rumour that we might get some payed overtime....The food was great if you like rabbit in gravy? with duchess potatoes,{ Mash} best meal of the week...

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, N/A, Red Lead Ted, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#43... Just spotted this post John. I was on the same run you mention on the Kiwi coast in 1973. Running from Whangeri to nearly all the ports in Kiwi, and finishing up in Bluff, then back to Whangerai for the next lot of petroleum or gas as the yanks would call. There was no tank cleaning between cargoes. However we were only allowed by the unions at that time 3 months on the coast and had to leave, where we went up to Newcastle NSW and lay at the stathes there for tankcleaning. This was on a clean products carrier one of John I Jacobs. As to bonuses on the coast at that time never saw. As regards the Seaway there was a BOT seaway bonus when I first ran up there in 1968/69. Apart from that we also got a Charterers Bonus from the Charterer Federal Commerce of Canada, which probably the owners didn't know about. Also special payment for hold cleaning which one would never have got with a British Company. Most ports in the States as Mate used to get an envelope from the Stevedores before start of cargo, this was for future co-operation if you asked them. Not a huge amount but enough to give all hands a drink in the ships bar if there was one. I worked prior to this with a Canadian Company Saguenay Shipping of Montreal, the same as the States and Australia, seafarers conditions and pay scales were much better than the British. Cheers John S

4. Thanks Neil Morton thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In Brocklebanks we didn't have this trouble.
    Simple "As the indian cook( Bandarh) 99% correct all the time "
    Ron the batcave

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I made three trips on cargo boats, they were good trips...Port Line, Jackson and Townsville, Good hope Castle (H.T.) and then one rotten trip on a tramp. Burries and Marks, La Cumbre, I hated it from the moment I went up the gangway, ten months of hell and crap. Then moved to the "Big Ships" UCL, Donnottar, Warwick, and Athlone. For me the "Big Ships" were the best.

All the best "news" came over the galley radio. The best "reporter" gathering news and relaying it to the galley news' editor-in- chief (ships cook) was the Captains tiger. Orders from the ships' cook was "take care of the tiger". Extra steak, seconds and thirds on the pie etc.

Cheers, Rodney

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Open stow of Black and White Scotch, Hatch 3 Right foreward of the bridge. Anchor boat, Boy I loved a challenge. I could peel an orange in my pocket when I paid off, David Blane had nothing on us Happy days lads Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Rodney Mills View Post
    I made three trips on cargo boats, they were good trips...Port Line, Jackson and Townsville, Good hope Castle (H.T.) and then one rotten trip on a tramp. Burries and Marks, La Cumbre, I hated it from the moment I went up the gangway, ten months of hell and crap. Then moved to the "Big Ships" UCL, Donnottar, Warwick, and Athlone. For me the "Big Ships" were the best.

All the best "news" came over the galley radio. The best "reporter" gathering news and relaying it to the galley news' editor-in- chief (ships cook) was the Captains tiger. Orders from the ships' cook was "take care of the tiger". Extra steak, seconds and thirds on the pie etc.

Cheers, Rodney
    Hi Rodders, On UCL all the officers stewards were treated very well by galley crew, officers got anything they wished for and we got just as good. All the scuttlebut chat began in the engine room and we would spread it, got some good stories at times.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes N/A, Rodney Mills, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith. When were you on the Baron Belhaven. I was on her April 61==Feb 1962. Capt. Duncan Macgregor.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. Post 53 Dennis that's a few years back and just reread. See Ivan says in one of his follow on posts he never got any bonuses. Maybe the people who paid these out forgot to give to him. As I said hold cleaning or any construction work the charterers the likes of Federal Commerce of Canada were always fair and paid. The old man maybe of taking his piece off the top but I always got in excess of 3000 dollars for the crew, which I handed over to the Chinese Bosun the only time I ever took anything out was 5 dollars for some dry cleaning I had to do with doing a hold inspection. Previous to this they had never received so maybe the mate pocketed it and forgot to pay Ivan. With an Indian crew I had a bad serang who thought he would get the money for nothing, when they couldn't do the job I waved the money in front of him and sent it back ashore. Later I held the little basket by the neck in the tween decks and threatened to drop him into the lower hold. He stayed quite until I could get rid of him and before the crew did it themselves. I must say the US and Canadian shipowners or charteres were always fair, the ones who paid bonuses to your own owners it would be likely you never saw. Cheers JWS. It was above board and would probably have been in the charter party as to who paid what as regards hold cleaning and the construction of feeders and was cheaper also for them to get the ships crew to do and get the cash and overtime( if the ship paid) so everyone walked away a winner. Except of course the lascar crews who couldn't manage the job, maybe I was unlucky and got a bad one, as they were never really fit in any case and used to join with someone else's chest x rays as TB was rife amongst them. All the good ones going to the regular fancy liner trade running out East continuously. Those who did sail on those ships swear by them, I found differently and probably had more to compare them with. Cheers JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th August 2017 at 01:32 AM.

12. Thanks Dennis McGuckin thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Denis as regards the kiwi coast and all ports south of Whangerai as you say were allowed 3 months on the coast and then had to leave, used to tank clean the same place as you. There were 3 ships doing this run all the time at the period I was there, a kiwi ship, a Greek ship, and the the laurelwood one of JIJs. Broke my nose for the second time that trip as went head first down the after pump room as thought I could hold by breath and get down and back to close a leaking valve. I couldn't. Fortuanetley I was seen going down so got pulled out. We all think we can do wonders but are usually intoxicated when think you are Goliath how wrong can you get. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 6th August 2017 at 01:58 AM.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6