Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Beaverford 1960

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Beaverford 1960

Anyone around that sailed on the Beaverford in the late fifties and sixties?
    I read about the "white Beavers" - these were just coming in when I departed for greener pastures.
    I spent most of my CP time sailing out of Antwerp. In those days when Belgium was a colonial power, Antwerp swung 7/24 and as the Beaver boats moored on the river berths (23/24/25) was ideal for trotting up the St.Paulusstrasse to where the action was around the St.Paulussplatts.
    I remember Erma's bar (Cafe d'Valk) and the Ringo (Mariar's place) and many more.
    Antwerp was our home port and the antics we got up to left me with so many happy memories of the place.
    I was an engineer aboard Beaverford for a total of two and a half years. She was a wreck in many respects but I don't think I ever sailed on a happier ship.
    I would welcome contact from anyone from that time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day Kenneth and welcome to the site. Do you have alist of the ships you sailed on and maybe some dates? If so and you care to post them on sie there is a good chance someone you sailed with will see it and reply. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed on the Beaverdell and Beavercove in the 50-60ies.
    Great memories of bars mentioned.
    Welcome aboard Kenneth.
    Den.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default More Beaverford

Thanks Den and Oz John - Between April 58 and April 63 I sailed with only Guinea Gulf and CP.
    My ships were Rose of Lancaster (GG Line charter), John Holt, Beavrford, Robert L Holt, Elizabeth Holt, Beaverford, Empress of Britain,
    I landed a job in Montreal and spent four years there (parlying la Franglay).
    I came back to UK and for twenty years or so freelanced in engineering design, with a few odd staff jobs in between.
    Although I was never anything higher than professional third, the years I spent in the MN were memorable.
    Now retired (and lovin' it) I live in Bebington Wirral with my cat.in a four hundred year old cottage with views of Liverpool cathedral and Runcorn bridge and the sweep of the Mersey.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Ken
    I sailed on the Rose of Lancaster as fourth engineer when I was with Brocklebank in 1965s, they used to manage GG Line I did one voyage down to West Africa. I then left and joined Canadian Pacific and sailed on the white Beaver Boats, one CP Tanker and one Log Carrier then swallowed the anchor in 1970.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Beaverford 1960

Hi Ken,I remember you on the Britain,I was engineers pantryman.Jimmy Kavanagh was Boss Man.You guys certainly had some big parties up there in Montreal,three of yourmates off hand but I'm sure I'l think of more.McAteer,Logie,Parkes.I remember you going to Montreal,you still attended the ships party's did'nt you.
    Remember them big pickle jars we used to get 4 pints in from the meal bar,I think that was our last job at night getting them for the engineers.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default rose f lancaster

Thanks Geoff, the "Rose" was such a B****dy tragedy down below. I joined her in Liverpool after her maiden voyage. William Gray in the North East built her, or sort of threw her together. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. I suppose it was good experience, but what a work house. I believe the Mary Holt (her sister - came later) wasn't much better.
    A few names from the Rose:- Captain Sherrington, John Chester - Mate, Billy Duncalf - Electrician, Arthur Fairly - Second eng., - Roy Smith - 3rd eng., - Charlie Gill - Ch. Steward.
    I wish I could end with "Happy Days", but that would be streching the truth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Empress of Britain

Thanks Jim - Yes, wht a riot the Britain was. Jimmy Cavanagh certainly was a character. He threw a party in his Princess Park (Liverpool) house for me when I left the Britain, That went on all night and was something else.
    I didn't meactly "leave" the Britain - I was sacked. During the refit in Gladstone dry dock I was entrusted with checking all the ship-side sea valves before they flooded the dock. Allthough I DID report an offending faulty valve, (port turbo-alternator injection for the technically minded) the second at the time denied this at the BOT investigation hearing. He was just about to retire and was protecting his pension. So I was the fall guy. Bob Gleaves, the Staff Chief at the time sided with me to no avail.
    The result of my alleged negligence was that the ship filled up with sea water as the dock filled up. The cover was off the Port Turbo-alternator circulating pump at the time. The water-tight dooors coukd noy be closed due to welding cables and air hoses blocking the doorways. The water was lapping around the comutators of the generators as it took half an hour to stop flooding the dock.
    I was known for years after as "the man who sank the Empress of Britain".

Cebu, Philippines district of Punta Princessa.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Beaverdell

Hi, i almost worked for canadian pacific, after i joined the mn, got my book and id, the pool at kg5 gave me a chit to report to c/e of beaverdell, walking aboard my first ship so excited and proud,i reported to c/e showed him my brand new book, the terse response was we dont employ first trippers, so i went from excitment to utter dejection in 30 seconds, went back to the pool , told them what happened, not impressed at all, got a chit for newcastle star, almost brand new, so was pleased with the outcome.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default You Missed the Dell !!!

Hy Tony - Maybe you know by now that you were saved from a fate worse than.....
    The CP Turbo Electrics wee not the most ideal start to any engine room experience.
    The visits I made to the Glen, Dell and Lake made me realise how blessed I was with the Ford's direct turbine gear. The Ford, Burn and Lodge were a delight after seeing below on the TEs'.
    Nice to hear from you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast