Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Seamen's Missions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamen's Missions

Hello,

My name is Patricia and my father was in the Merchant Navy from the age of 14 and was 17 and at sea when war with Germany was declared.

I am currently writing a dissertation for an MA in Maritime and Colonial History on Seamen's Missions and Victorian Philanthropy. However, I would like to update the study by obtaining stories of any experiences of the Seamen's Missions from older ex-Mariners.

Any stories would be most welcome no matter how long or short. I do not need to know any confidential information - just the stories.

I live on the Wirral so if there is anyone who is local I would very much appreciate the opportunity to interview a willing participant.

With Thanks

Patricia
    Last edited by Patricia Hosie; 26th April 2011 at 12:07 PM. Reason: One of your members has kindly advised me that it is not a good idea to post my personal e-mail address

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Writings

Hello Patricia
    Welcome to the site,and i am sure given a wee bit of time,there will be some who will reply to your qustions!
    I hope you get many so that you can continue your writings!
    Always nice to hear of those that continue to make Books,Videos and the likes about the Merchant Navy and other Forces too!
    Good luck with your projects!
    Cheers

PS What sort of thing would interest you on the Missions?
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vernon,

Many thanks for your kind response and I too hope that I obtain lots of stories and information.

I am keen to hear anything at all about the Seamen's Missions because I am attempting to ascertain how successful they were at keeping the Sailors from disreputable areas because that was the objective of the Victorian philanthropists and the Missions themselves. As I say, I am not interested in personal details but just the stories of the Sailor's experiences on shore whether at home or abroad.

I have given out my personal e-mail address patriciahosie@******* in case anyone has information they would rather not have posted.

I look forward to hearing from you again.

Personal Email Removed for safety reasons please reply direct through the Site Email Option

Kind regards,

Patricia
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th November 2022 at 08:29 PM.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seamans Missions

Hi Patricia

Don'y know whether or not the Missions were successful in keeping us all away from disreputable areas as the Padres were realists. In the 50's and 60's most of us headed for the Mission as a first port of call (where there was a Mission) The Padres tried to get us stay there all night, they were mostly only successful on dance nights, although we were not allowed to date the girls, but romances did blossom for those on regular runs, inevitable when handsome seaman meets "nice" girl.

As said earlier most Padres were realists and gave us advice of which bars NOT to go into, knowing that they could not keep a seaman out the bars altogether, they knew the ones were we wouldn't get mugged. In the old days ships were slow, ocean transits long and most ships dry (no booze) so it was inevitable that some would end up in Bars cum Houses of ill Repute, but not as many as our ill deserved reputation would have the general public perceive.

What drove some seamen to these places was not receiving any letters from home, in the days before easy telephoning and email, letters were your lifeline, if your mail hadn't turned up after two port visits when you were thousands of miles from home, the imagination started working overtime and solace was found in the bottom of a glass or the arms of of an understanding bar girl!

Those that were lucky enough to receive their mail, usually spent time on board answering the letter then taking it to the Mission to be posted, some Missions had a bar and would allow the seamen a couple of drinks and having just written to your loved one you were disinclined to wander further. The Mission girls also helped those seamen who were not able to put pen to paper by writing letters for them to send back home, a task I also took on sometimes when afloat.

I also learnt more the social type dancing, rather than Bartype dancing in the Missions, though both are enjoyable!

Yes the Missions did a sterling job and were a great solace and place of comfort to the majority of seamen, although some of our "hardcases" wouldn't be seen dead in them, or so they used to say.

Some of my earstwhile shipmates will be able to regail you with more information as most of era have no reason to be shy anymore, good luck in your endeavours

Ivan

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Ivan,

Thank you so much for your response. The information is brilliant and just the sort of stuff I'm looking for. As you say there is no reason for anyone to be shy but it is a delicate subject and I really wasn't sure now to obtain the information but as there are no personal details attached I am hoping that I will gain some more insight into the history of the missions.

Thank you again and if you have any more information or can nudge your friends for information I should be most grateful.

Kindest regards,

Patricia

9. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi patricia. most ports had a seamans mission and most of us used to go to them for various reasons. ie, port adelaide oz. the city was a long way away and i do'nt remember any transport. i used to take my bicycle away with me so could get around, but most of the lads went to the mission. soft drinks and picture shows were the norm in most missions. great fun in places like africa where the show was in the open air of an evening, with most of us more interested in the lizards etc running across the screen.i think most of us visited the missions and in america we always came back with lots of books given to us.. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

11. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Missions to Seamen

Hello Patricia the good old Flying Angel or "flying tabnab" as some called it due to the tea and cakes available if one so desired.I was a steward at sea for 8 years.
    I spent one dreary night in the Liverpool mission waiting for my ship to berth, dreary because it was the middle of winter some time in the late 1950's and the decor of the room I slept in a strange institutional green with only the Gideons Bible to read.
    However on brighter note in 1960 I had reason to stay for a considerable time in the mission on the island of Trinidad.Situated in the capital Port of Spain it was and trust still is a pleasant and sunny space.Simple meals were provided and the Padre a gentle and caring soul, always available to offer help and advice. After a few weeks I became bored with little to do all day and went to him to see if there was work I could do about the place. As I was likely to be on the island for some time and without funds that good man found me employment in a swank tourist hotel as believe it or not as head waiter.The food improved as did the company and I remained in Port o' Spain for 15 months living "high of the hog", due to the good old Padre.
    The most beautiful setting for a Flying Angel was in Dar a Salaam in old Tanganyika, (not sure of the spelling) Situated on a rise looking down on a perfect horseshoe shaped lagoon it was the perfect spot on hot day to sip cold Tusker beer.
    I hope this is the sort of thing you are after and good luck with your project.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

13. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi again patricia. port sudan was another mission to remember. the union castle boats used to stop there usually about midnight, and as the heat was sweltering the crewused to take off en masse, followed by some passsengers in the know. destination, the flying angel swimming pool. this was sometimes standing room only. there was another pool in town which was also well used. alf
    Backsheesh runs the World
    people talking about you is none of your business
    R397928

15. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Alf,

Many thanks for your response to my inquiries. I am very grateful for the information. Nonetheless, I'm trying to establish whether or not the Missions were successful at keeping the majority of seamen away from dangerous and disreputable areas. Do you have any information that would help me to establish how successful they were?

Kind regards,

Patricia

17. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mission always did a good job, sometimes send the bus to the ship drop off at the mission, drink and phone home, then into town. last drink back at the mission they always made sure of a safe return to your ship.

Still plenty of seafaring centres world wide.

Ray

19. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... LastLast