Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: hemisinus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: hemisinus

Hi Keith
    I was on the Hemisinus from the 12.08.75 to 12.01.76 as Chief Cook, spent a lot of time on the H class, great times. Best regards Dave Wilson

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Michael .I was Chief Cook on Hemisinus in April 1972 and also paid off in August 72.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Sparks

I think I was on that trip we crossed the International Dateline on new years eve so celebrated new year twice :P
    We flew out to Singapore to join the ship and spent 10 days in the Holiday Inn while waiting for her return. I remember not making it to Anchorage and having to head south to Seattle, surely there couldn't have been 2 ships that happened to. I think it was 1974/75 though. Would be great if I could get hold of a crew list as there were some good friends on that trip.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on Hemisinus in 76, we did Singapore, Da Nang, Nha Trang, Miri, Singapore then one month in Sasebo drydock before paying off there.

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hemisinus

[QUOTE=Trevor Storey;74661]I was on the Hemisinus, picked her up in hamburg 31-10-66 payed off rotterdam 15-10-67, started off loading Curacoa, through the Panama few ports in central america back through panama anchored off when head butted by argie bulk carrier knocked down about 30 foot handrail and large dent in port side, inspected but no leaks so off to start the beginning of the saigon run. dont know how many trips but was taken off togo to new zealand back on the run off again to various other places then home via the cape as the arab war was on. The lads were flown to london from rotterdam and iflew to good old southend on sea. Had my leave then off to join the dreaded tar boat Partula but thats another tale[/QUOTE
    I was on the Hatasia Sept 1957 until Jan 1958 and Hemisinus Feb 1960 until March 1960. Great ships.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Maurice Adams View Post
    Must have been about 1976, right at the end of the war and my last trip for Marconi before Shell made an offer I couldnt refuse. About seven and a half months Singapore-Saigon, with a diversion to Danang just for a bit of exitement. The Yanks were getting close to their 'strategic withdrawal' by then.I think that must have been the end of the "Saigon Flyer" tag, as we then got sent off to get stuck in the ice trying to get to Anchorage in December/Jan. Gave that up and discharged in Seatle. Then down to Panama, where I got off at last. 8.5 months which was normal for Marconi at the time
    I was on her around that time, Singapore Danang, Nha Trang, Miri then Sinagapore.
    Paid off in drydock in Sasebo

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I sailed on Hemisinus in 73 for 6mths, January to July, did the usual up and down to Saigon and Danang, Nah Trang had my wife onboard and even spent one night ashore in Danang in the Shell Port Captains house. Remember going to a restaurant where the pat of butter cost more than the lobster dinner!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Kyte View Post
    I was a Fireman / Greaser on the Hemisinus on the Singapore to Saigon run from April to August 1972
    lots of memories
    regards
    Mick
    Hello Michael,

I know that a while has passed since your post, but I would just like to ask if you knew my dad John (also known as Ian) Macintosh. Sadly, he died on the SS Hemisinus in May 1972.

Thanks,

Colin Macintosh.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I drydocked on Hemisinus in Sasebo in 1974 as 5/E. Joined in Singapore January 1973, had to have haircut before allowed into country.

14. Likes Tony Taylor, Ken Norton liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Graham M Wright View Post
    I drydocked on Hemisinus in Sasebo in 1974 as 5/E. Joined in Singapore January 1973, had to have haircut before allowed into country.
    Graham, I was on that job then as 3/E, your name does ring a distant bell.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast