Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: hemisinus

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: hemisinus

Hi Keith
    I was the scouse galleyboy. I remember some of the fun times we had with the apprentices, I think one was from iraq. We used to sit on the poop deck when in Siagon, watching the solders in the gun boats throw grenades in the river. A few of us actualy went in these boats up and down the river. We also used to go to a family house just outside of the refinery, were we had drinks. the grandparents would be on a large bed, as we trooped in and out of the house.

As we went up the river from Vung Tao in a convoy, there was no jungle to be seen. and you could see for miles in every direction. As we approached Nha Bhe, there was a little church on the right bank. I have recently been back. And I took the Hydrofoil up the river from Vung Tao. the jungle has grown back and the church is still there. Amazing times.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi David,
    Vung Tau used to be called Cape St Jaques, when it was a French colony. We rescued the French Foreign Legion from there in 1955 on the GEORGIC when they were defeated by the Viet Minh..
    I went back in 2008 on QE2 and anchored in the same spot, it was then called Vung Tao. then a boat ashore and a bus up to Ho Chi Minh, Saigon. very interesting.
    Cheers
    Brian.

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by NICK SMITH View Post
    hi my name is nick i served on the hemisinus april 1972 whenshe was known as the siagon flyer i was on my first trip to sea after completing my training on the training ship dolphin at leith i was a sixteen year old catering boy i served on her for 5 months ,as you know recieving double pay a vast £72.00 per month as a young nieve boy between singapore niight life and the night watch im nam i grew up very quickly.my e-mail is niclyn-1@live.co.uk i would like to also know anyone that served on the hemisinus hoping to here from you nick.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello nick,I think I remember you.I was aboard Hemisinus from April 72 to April 73.I remember a few other names,Grahm Darling, Alex Dick,Erni Crowther,Bert Larder.When the ship was hit going into Siagon ,Thompson was the skipper.That was one year in my life I will not forget.

7. Likes N/A, Carol Meres, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hemisinus

Hello ship mates l was on the hemisinus as assistant steward from june 69 untill 24/1/70 great ship happy crew ,also done a few runs from the gulf to singapore ,pula bukam shell islandvas it was called then on up to veietnam exciting times when your young ...will put a few names on here next time ....

9. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Hemisinus

Hi Keith, I sailed with you (and Brian ex-3rd) and paid off with you in Singapore, still have some photos somewhere. Let me know if your still about and we'll have a catchup session maybe

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I am the wife of the Catering Officer who was blasted in the Rocket attack on the Hemisinus The Saigon Flyer. The date was the 16th December 1972. I kknow cos I was there. I have a written story about this event so if you are interested let me know and I'll send it to you. Thanks Carol Meres.

- - - Updated - - -

Captain Peter Thompson a perfect gentleman.

12. Thanks N/A, Ivan Cloherty, cappy thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon, Charlie Hannah liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On our 5th Wedding Anniversary! 16th December !
    That was then called Dingaans Day! Changed after that!
    Wow!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith
    1968/69 on runs up to Nha Be carrying aviation spirit first night probably most frightening ever (especially as carrying highly volatile cargo) was when the USA started lobbing 105 shells from behind refinery across river, lots of white faces. Also remember due to damage only one relatively small discharge hose available so were alongside approx 4 days.

15. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was Radio Officer 1969. Sailed with my wife Joined in Tranmere sailed around the world. Fantastic trip my wife enjoyed it very much. Loved the H boats. Nice sea ships.

17. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast