Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: akaroa/cymric

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile akaroa/cymric

hi any body out there who sailed on the akaroa on the 9/o9/1970to20/12/1970 it was a great trip apart for the death of the boatman onboard,went horse riding in nz at opau couldnt walk for days. plus mv cymric,joined24/06/1968 paid off 15/12/68 ,bosun was david brown ( inger) also graham shields and duncan montgomery/ ABs brill trip seems just like yesterday,hope to hear from some one cheers.cookie
    Last edited by paul cooke (cookie); 26th August 2011 at 08:00 PM.

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool Looking for old shipmates.

Good luck Cookie.Im sure some one out there might help you.Also try Vindicatrix site where they ex Vindy boys?Im from Liverpool.We have a meting every week there at liverpool retired merchant seafarers.

The Cunard Yanks

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default akaroa/cymric

cheers bill iwill try that,had many a good time in liverpool in the 60s alongside in gladstone docks,what asight all those empress ships along side,good old days. cookie

6. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Cymric

Hi, I was on the Cymric same time as yourself although I was an engineer and can remember all the names of the rest of the engineers I think. She wasn't a bad ship down below, but you'd expect that with numbers of people we had. Two big B&W's and four Harland Gennies fpr propusion and power. She was built at Hawthorn Leslie on the Tyne in '53.
    Not much money but lots of laughs. I remember the skipper well but not his name. The 2nd Mate's nickname was Jovial Jock.

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up duncan

Quote Originally Posted by paul cooke (cookie) View Post
    hi any body out there who sailed on the akaroa on the 9/11/1970to20/12/1970 it was a great trip apart for the death of the boatman onboard,went horse riding in nz at opau couldnt walk for days. plus mv cymric,joined24/1/1968 paid off 15/12/68 ,bosun was david brown ( inger) also graham shields and duncan montgomery/ ABs brill trip seems just like yesterday,hope to hear from some one cheers.cookie
    paul im in touth with duncan sailed with him and graham on the medic graha is no longer with us passed away couple of years ago let me know if u want druncan duncans e-mail

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default cymric

hi clancy thanks for getting in touch with me /duncan as been in touch with me and told me about graham and brownie wich is a sad loss they were both great guys thank alot clancy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default cymric

hi alex great ship and brill crew had some good times on her /great runs ashorearound aus /nz wish i was still there

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by paul cooke (cookie) View Post
    hi any body out there who sailed on the akaroa on the 9/11/1970to20/12/1970 it was a great trip apart for the death of the boatman onboard,went horse riding in nz at opau couldnt walk for days. plus mv cymric,joined24/1/1968 paid off 15/12/68 ,bosun was david brown ( inger) also graham shields and duncan montgomery/ ABs brill trip seems just like yesterday,hope to hear from some one cheers.cookie
    Hi Cookie,

Just missed you mate ! I was on the Akaroa from the 1st December 69 to 23rd August 1970 voyages 6 & 7 . Happy days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cookie i was on the akaroa same time as you when jimmy dyball the boatman was murdered , i also done round the land on the cymric with duncan and graham we spent a while in middlesborough with shore gang working in engine room etc they must have taken her deep sea while i got out in london what were you on the akaroa i was ab name bob dunkley (dunks)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default akaroa

hi dunks, sorry i did,nt reply earlier,not checked the threads lately.sorry i cant remember your name but it may come later,i was edh and in the second cabin from the stb bow i was assistant boatman with jim when he was stabbed,i remember george a scottish ab who i was on watch with.the two deck boys were ian from woolwich and paul creed there was also little geordie the ab who was comical i remember my cabin mate whos name was rick,we were knocking two kiwi passenger girls off all the way from auckland to london and stayed in there cabin most nights,it helped to pass the time on lol.went horse riding in opau with a few of the lads that was a good laugh especialy when one of the horses stood on geordies foot,hope this as jogged some good memorys for you ,iwasin gravesend school from dec 66 to march 67 joined p and o oriana around10th april sailed at two minutes past midnight on april the 14th ,they wouldnt sail on the 13th.we may have past each other in gravesend small world dont you think.can you remember any of this hope to hear from you,bye
    Last edited by paul cooke (cookie); 26th August 2011 at 07:27 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast