Thread: Seeking descendant of NZ SHAW SAVILL LINE Officer - PETER STANDISH SAVILL

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seeking descendant of NZ SHAW SAVILL LINE Officer - PETER STANDISH SAVILL

I have the WW2 medals of Peter Standish SAVILL which I would dearly like to reunite with a descendant of his family. The medals were found in 1990 in a house that was being renovated at Huia, a coastal settlement in the Western Waitakeri Ranges on the Manukau Harbour, Auckland NZ - possibly the home of a former ship mate or relatives residence ? Does anyone recognise this location and connect it with any of Peter's ships ??

PETER STANDISH SAVILL - sometimes has an (E)– 1907-1991. Place of birth is unk but is either UK or NZ, suspect the former ? Possibly may have been connected to the "SAVILL" shipping family in UK, some tenuous links exist in a number of Ancestry family trees. Father is unknown.

Possible connection: 1927 - Immigration record - Frederick James Savill (53), sheep farmer, ENG – Immigrated 1927 + family – Mrs DM (26) Eng, Mstr RF (9) NZ, Mstr DO (2) Eng , Miss ST (10mths) NZ ???
    Frederick James SAVILL (1873 Chigwell - 1965 Faygate) and Daisy Isobel PHILLIPS (1885 - ?) - Sussex
    Frederick establish a sheep farm at Hanmer Springs.

Peter Standish SAVILL's first immigration record to NZ from London – 17 Dec 1925 as an Engr Cadet on SS Matatua
    1926 - Cadet - Matatua
    1928 – 5th Mate – Mataroa
    1928 – 4th Mate - Taranaki
    1930 – 3rd Mate – Maimoa
    1932 – 3rd Mate – Coptic
    1933 – 3rd Mate – Coptic
    1935 – 2nd Mate - Waipawa
    1938 – Guest at New City Hotel, Chch (PP) – fm Fairlie

NOK as at 1940 – Mother: Mrs P. Savill of La Belle, Hautgarde, Nice, France (christian name unk, may be husband's initial ? Location unk. Name and location of Peter's father is also unk.

Jan 1938 – a Mrs P. Savill, formerly of Auck, passenger on AKAROA arr fm Southampton at Wgtn on Jan 31, 1938 - unknown if this was his mother coming to NZ before he was conscripted into the NZ Army, or unconnected ?

Pre War: Peter working as a farm hand on "Clayton Station" Fairlie.

Enlisted for WW2: 22422 Gunner, RNZ Artillery, Reinforcements
    Embarked Apr 1940
    1940 -1945 – Gunner - 5 Field Battery, 2nd NZ Div. Artillery, 2NZEF
    11 Feb 1942 – Auckland Star – GNR. P.S. Savill reported Missing
    27 Apr 1945 “ " GNR. P.S. Savill - Prisoners Freed now back in England
    RTNZ by Dec 1945

Post War: 1949 Peter worked as a Clerk at the Special School, Otekaieke, Waimate

Peter remained in Waimate and latterly Timaru working as a clerk, until his retirement. Peter was living at 62 Otipu Road, Kensington, Timaru when he died in 1991 aged 84 years – listed as “Retired Gentleman” . He is buried in Timaru Cemetery with one other SAVILL - Frank Savill(e) who died in August 1955 (no other details known)

Any information no matter how minor that helps me to build a picture of Peter, his family, their location or the location of a descendant would be most welcome. Please feel free to phone or email me at any time: 027-940-4495 or medalsreunitednz@gmail.com

Thank you all.

Ian D. Martyn
    Nelson, NZ

Medals Reunited New Zealand
    Medals Reunited New Zealand© Returning Medals to Families

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong liked this post
    Jamie Brandane Guest

Default Re: Seeking descendant of NZ SHAW SAVILL LINE Officer - PETER STANDISH SAVILL

Have posted your request for information to All members of the Shaw Savill Society in Australia, New Zealand and UK ~ I am sure if anyone has any information they will contact you directly.
    Kind regards,
    Jamie Shedden
    Shaw Savill Society, Auckland, NZ

4. Thanks Captain Kong, Ian Martyn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seeking descendant of NZ SHAW SAVILL LINE Officer - PETER STANDISH SAVILL

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Martyn View Post
    I have the WW2 medals of Peter Standish SAVILL which I would dearly like to reunite with a descendant of his family. The medals were found in 1990 in a house that was being renovated at Huia, a coastal settlement in the Western Waitakeri Ranges on the Manukau Harbour, Auckland NZ - possibly the home of a former ship mate or relatives residence ? Does anyone recognise this location and connect it with any of Peter's ships ??

Thank you all.

Ian D. Martyn
    Nelson, NZ

Medals Reunited New Zealand
    Medals Reunited New Zealand© Returning Medals to Families
    Hi I am of the Shaw line, Rober Euart Shaw was a 1st Cousin of my G G Grandfather William Elliot Shaw. Richard Norman Shaw was Roberts brother. I'm also in contact of a descendant of the Savill line
    Ruth
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 28th February 2019 at 09:23 PM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think this enquiry has been on here before . Think I replied to it and it petered out. I know a New Zealander by the same name who used to live in the Whangerei area. He has lived in WA for the past 30 years , but still has family in NZ. His full name is Lindsay Savill and I gave him this sites address at one time as was looking for a history of his great grandfather who had or worked on a schooner in the 1800 s. However when I mentioned Shaw Savill to him he said he had tried that avenue without successs. However I will mention to him once again just in case he gave up too easy. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th February 2019 at 02:00 PM.

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As above have forwarded a copy of this post to the above named. He will forward to his brother in New Zealand. They are having a re-union in a couple of months time in Kiwi with all family members. He mentioned his grandfather as having something to do. With the rescue of people off the HMS Birkenhead. Many moons ago and think he said he returned to the UK. However is in his hands now. JS