Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Northern Star Shaw Saville

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Northeren Star

Hi, worked on the Star 1974- 1975 on the Night Gang. Any one remember the old gang please let me know. Graham Gartshore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Happy days

Hi Helen I was on the ship at that time, I joined her in Southampton in July '73' as a catering boy aged 17 got my rating after a couple of meddie cruises I was told at the time I was the youngest ever to get my rating blah blah. Anyhoos...... they promptly gave me the aircraft carrier up the back of the aft ressie. There I was proud as punch to be a "Winger" with my own show lol. I don't know if you remember me? my name is Freddie Bargiacchi. I used to drink in the pig with George Patterson, Link Jeffries who used to play/sing at the sods operas! do you remember them???? Gracie Allen Jimmy the old mans tiger doing thier impressions of Shirley Bassey and Dusty Springfield man o man what a motley crew!!!!! but like the heading says "Happy Days" although a lot of it is a blur......... but it sure was S*x, D***s & Rock n roll hope to hear from you soon

Freddie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default happy days 2

Helen
    hello
    I was on the NS around 73 only done a short time as it was to see the world.
    I remember the Pig and whistle and the great acts the wingers used to do. It was a short time but i remember it fondly.
    Being chased off the public decks by the ships police.
    Pacific service nights when the aft restaurant was decked in hanging palms and the creepy crawlies down your neck when serving.
    The revolving kichen doors and coming out like a bullet with arms full of tray and food as the ship pitched in heavy weather.
    Working the deck buffets in the sun shine.
    The lady passengers going daft over the young waiters ( erm "Haidi" I wonder what happened to her and her continuously drunk husband)

Got off in Sydney (jumped ship when docked in Circular Key near Opera House - drunk on planters punch) and then headed down to Melbourne, down the Hume Highway and met some fantastic Aussie people along the way. never forgotten thier kindness.( I recently travelled Vietnam and cambodia with Aussies and we have several Aus Doctors at work)
    Eventually stayed with some great people in Frankston (The Kaufmanns) they had another house on the Piran road?? the Father had a Busimess called Trend Carpets and a daghter called Molley!!
    Eventually got caught and locked up and then sent home - about six months travelling your great country.

Kind short summary of a hellava experience. Old picture of me in my short wingers white jacket, cumber bund, gold buttons and evening dress is still at my mums.

A great experience - My present t company Runs the Austarlian Ghan Railway, i intend travellin on it before I finally sink.

hey look kind regards
    Go in peace
    cp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Hain View Post
    Hello Hellen,
    I spent a year on the Northern star working as a decky, I did about 12 UK cruises on her and a couple of round the world trips and several of the Pacific Sydney cruises back in 72. I had the best job in the world for the Aussies cruises, I was the pool attendent deck man and believe me life was good . 1200 pasengers
    at least 800 of them female , Life was good. I ended up in Australia after getting struck by cupids arrow and have lived here ever since. I aften think about the great time I had and only wish I was that young again and knew what I know now. Didn't make a lot of money but boy did I have fun. So sad that the star only had such a short life whilst her sister ship the cross lasted 48 years!

regards Derek Hain
    A very nice ship indeed.Life was indeed so good .Sometimes hard working 9 sittins a day on the trip to and from syd.These aussie cruises were one the best periods in a life time.Chance I ve got a lot of photos
    ^jp
    Last edited by jean pol de grave; 28th February 2011 at 06:18 PM. Reason: discovering the site

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile northern star

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Fanning View Post
    Interested to hear from anyone that worked on the Northern Star after the big strike in Sydney in 1974
    hi helen iwas on northern star in 1965 v 13 there was a strike in sydney then

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Remember me?

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie View Post
    Hi Helen I was on the ship at that time, I joined her in Southampton in July '73' as a catering boy aged 17 got my rating after a couple of meddie cruises I was told at the time I was the youngest ever to get my rating blah blah. Anyhoos...... they promptly gave me the aircraft carrier up the back of the aft ressie. There I was proud as punch to be a "Winger" with my own show lol. I don't know if you remember me? my name is Freddie Bargiacchi. I used to drink in the pig with George Patterson, Link Jeffries who used to play/sing at the sods operas! do you remember them???? Gracie Allen Jimmy the old mans tiger doing thier impressions of Shirley Bassey and Dusty Springfield man o man what a motley crew!!!!! but like the heading says "Happy Days" although a lot of it is a blur......... but it sure was S*x, D***s & Rock n roll hope to hear from you soon

Freddie
    Hi Helen, I was on the "Star" in '73, started as a catering boy then PO's messman, shared a cabin with Freddie who has also replied to your thread.
    6 months in the pacific, cruising the med, panama canal, caribbean, far east, what a life and we were paid for it!
    It's good to remember those times, good and bad.
    Phil

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by derek mellish View Post
    hi helen iwas on northern star in 1965 v 13 there was a strike in sydney then

Derek it would be easier to establish the times when there was not a strike in Sydney.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default d mellish

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Fanning View Post
    Interested to hear from anyone that worked on the Northern Star after the big strike in Sydney in 1974
    i was on northern star 1965 v 13 when we were in sydney thay were on strike then

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wandering "Star"

Hello Helen, I was on the Star the summerof 71 {medi crusieing} and then the aussie Christmas Cruise if I remember right I started on the night gang I remember Frankie Short was in the same Cabin as me a real bad man IRA, then I was a Karzie Queen on A/ B deck then promoted to prom deck , I remember the disco that we cleaned at night the big song on the juke box was Rocket man /elton yes I also recall Gracie Allien and Rose if you look at my Face book page there is a photo of the pig on a sods opera night{ you can tell cause all the boys are dressed and looking to get laid} Londondave48 is my face book ad I was also in the pig the first night out when stews were allowed on board , talk about a comedy all the boys steamed up and puking over those poor birds ,o yes in that pic on FS you see Ernie Dulipe and I am the one on the Right , be lucky!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default SS Northern Star 1974 -1975

Hello Helen,

I worked on the Norther Star as a assistant Cook From 1974 - until the last voyage to the breakers yard in Tiawan. Wnt Deep sea down to OZ for 6 months and
    had a great time met some
    great people on board, Happy Days !!

Rgds ian Wilkinson

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast