Thread: 2WW period - George MERCER

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question 2WW period - George MERCER

Hello there everyone,
    I am trying to establish what my great uncle, George MERCER did during the 2WW period. His movements which I have documented are as follows:-
    Joined the TA as a medic in 1907
    Joined the Merchant Navy in 1910 (No. 609629) Continuous sailings on the ORVIETO then the OTRANTO & OPHIR until August 1914
    Called up in August 1914 R.A.M.C.
    Survived the 1WW with an M.I.D.
    Back on the MN ships 17th July 1919 ORSOVA as bedroom steward then ORONSAY, ORANTO, AVELONA, ORONTES, ORSOVA, ORAMA and finally the MATAROA docking at Victoria Docks, London on 17th February 1940.
    Then there is an unexplained gap in his MN sailings until 27th August 1946 when he joined the HIGHLAND PRINCESS. Then his sailing are continuous, staying with the HIGHLAND PRINCESS then the HIGHLAND CHIEFTAIN, S.S. RIMUTAKA, BLOMFONTEIN CASTLE and finally with the DUNNOTTAR CASTLE. Then on 17th January 1952 he retired from the MN.
    For the last 20 years I have been trying to establish what he did in those years covering the 2WW.
    He would have been round about the age of 54 obviously too old for active service, but did he or could he have stayed on with the MN?
    Can ANYONE shed any light on this question?
    Were the MN under the directions of the RN?
    Were there crew lists/ships/movements logged or did secrecy prevent this?
    I know that the MATAROA was a troop ship during this period, could he have stayed with that ship throughout the war?
    His first sailing after the war was on the HIGHLAND PRINCESS, this was also used as a troop ship could he have been allocated to that ship?
    Has anyone any photo's of any 2WW crews?
    I have many photo's of George but none which can give any clues or answers.
    I have written to just about every establishment regarding or connected to any RN or MN records with negative results. None of them can confirm anything.
    I have found a 'G.Mercer' in the UK Navy Lists shown as a 'Tempy Pharmacist' at the land based RN hospitals at Killindini, Colombo and Hasla but cannot confirm if this is MY G.Mercer. He is not shown at any of these establishments at the same time, so I have to assume it is the same person being transferred from base to base. His skills would be perfect for such a posting.
    If this is him, he would be entitled to several campaign medals which I would dearly love to put alongside his trio & oak leaf from the 1WW.
    Any help or suggestions anyone can let me have would be appreciated.
    Regards,
    Vince

2. Thanks N/A, happy daze john in oz, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Lou Barron liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: 2WW period - George MERCER

Hello and welcome Vince,

I am sure we can help you out one way or another. Need some basics first please. Can you give a date and place of birth and can you tell me what records you have already? I am mainly interested in how you know he joined HIGHLAND PRINCESS in 1946. Do you have his Discharge Book or some other record?

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Lou Barron, judith george liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am sure we can help you out one way or another. Need some basics first please. Can you give a date and place of birth and can you tell me what records you have already? I am mainly interested in how you know he joined HIGHLAND PRINCESS in 1946. Do you have his Discharge Book or some other

Hi Hugh,
    Sorry for the HUGE delay in replying to your last message but we've had all sorts going on and I'm afraid this has had to take a back seat. Now I have got things into some order of as-semblance, I can make contact and hopefully fill in a few more parts of the puzzle.

The documents I have are as follows. His Discharge Book ( his first and a continuation book ) Mercer page 1 Merch service 001.jpgMercer page 2 Merchant service 001.jpgGeorge at sea.jpg
    I'm not totally sure how these forums work but I think ( I hope) I have attached two Word documents containing George's sailings and another with some pics of him in his steward's outfit.

If you cannot view them I can send them via email if you wish or if that would help.

I am not totally sure he didn't serve in the MN during 2WW but I have exhausted all the documents I have been able to gain access to without showing him anywhere. I can also send you a list of all the establishments I have already contacted with this quest.
    D of B was 12th August 1886 in Sydenham, south London ( Kent at that time)
    Discharge number 609629
    ID Certificate No. 862989
    Died 27th March 1968 the Royal Alfred's Home Bexley and is commemorated on a monument erected by the home at Bexley Cemetery, Brook Street, Erith, Kent DA8 1DY.
    He was aged about 81 years.
    I have plenty more pics should like to view them.
    Cheers for now take care,
    Vince

6. Thanks judith george, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Vince,

Thanks for supplying the additional information.

There are two files I think you should look at to establish if your uncle served in the MN after 1940 and before 1946. His CRS 10 (service record from Jan, 1941) should give a breakdown of all his service from that date if indeed he continued to serve during WW2. The file is held at Kew in piece BT 382/1213. If there is no file for him then he may not have served in the MN during this period or the file has not survived. This file is best viewed by visit to Kew or obtained via a researcher as it is expensive to obtain online.

The other way to establish if he served prior to joining HIGHLAND PRINCESS official number, 161859, would be to look at the Crew Agreement for 1946, it should show him signed on and also give his previous ship if he had one. The file is held at Kew in piece BT 381/3909 again best viewed by visit to Kew.

Hope that helps.

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 1st September 2015 at 07:10 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

8. Thanks judith george thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello again Hugh,
    Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately I have attended the PRO and viewed the following documents groups.
    BT382, BT347, BT372, BT377, BT395
    Without result as to his movements during the period in question.
    I am drawn towards perhaps some activity away from the MN.
    I have tried for example, the Home Guard, St. John's, Princess Alexanders Nursing, Red Cross, LFB, maybe even Wardens, but that would not be full time so what did he do for a job?
    It really is a difficult one. If you have any other ideas PLEASE send them to me and I will check it out .................. if I haven't already!.
    All the best for now,

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vince,

You didn't say if you checked out BT 381/3909 - that file, the Crew Agreement for HIGHLAND PRINCESS 1946, would normally give his previous ship. If you did look at it was it blank or did it have MATAROA from way back in 1940 or something else?

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there,
    I have had the National Archives search the crew list for the Mataroa throughout the war period and also the crew list for the Highland Princess from the time he docked on the Mataroa until the end of the war.
    They can find no trace on either ships' crews lists. Plus he did not go back to sea on the Highland Princess until 14 months after VE day and this is another reason why I think he may have been performing an admin
    role for the MN. He would have known the system inside out and there would have been alot of clearing up with the records by way of casualties, locating POW's repatriation etc.
    Does anyone know if there are any admin role records kept anywhere?
    Cheers again

13. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello again,
    I have an update for the site regarding my great uncle George Mercer.
    In my original thread entry I mentioned that I had found a 'Tempy Pharmacist' shown as 'G.Mercer' at several RN land based hospitals.
    Having checked the list of registered Pharmacists, I have been able to rule him out and confirm this 'G'Mercer' is NOT my G.Mercer.
    I have been wondering if he may have been employed by the MN in an admin role.
    Has anyone any knowledge of any records which might have details of such personnel from February 1941 to August 1946?
    Any suggestions will be looked into thoroughly.
    Cheers for now
    Vince

15. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post