Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Boulevard Nautical School

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: bns remembered

Hi Peter. We have two things in common. I also was at the School 1955-57. I did a trip on the Cape Duner summer of 56. I knew Jim Corbett & Keith Oades ( from the same village as me). I vaguely remember you.
    Michael Shaw. Whoops I have already Posted this info back in 2011. A senior moment, sorry
    Last edited by Michael Shaw; 1st August 2015 at 07:57 AM.

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: bns remembered

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Shaw View Post
    Whoops I have already Posted this info back in 2011. A senior moment, sorry
    Look on the bright side Michael, your still alive to have a senior moment, long may it continue. I notice that with 4 posts since 2011 that you are a man of few words, but it's now your turn to regale us with a story

4. Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boulevard Nautical School

Hi Mike it seems and is a very long time ago that we were all at the BNS I havent seen Jim Corbett since the early 70s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pic

Great Pic brings back memories Taken circa 1957 on board Wilson ship I think it was the Bravo.
    I am the little guy right at the front of the windlass a couple of other names Peter Link, Chis Barber.cant remember the others names.
    Would love to get a pic for my collection with the defacing!!
    Thanks Ian

7. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pic

#2... Doc the old steam windlass brings back memories, although can never remember standing around it in a group dressed in square rig as an apprentice. Notice also the one in the picture doesn't have cable lifters unless out of the picture. The securing wire with bottle screw and senhouse slip would now be replaced with a bar over the cable lifters. The senhouse slip would in most ships today be called a pelican hook and used to be of a larger size to stopper off rig chain which was much bigger as well as a rigs chain lockers on a ship.. An apprentices job was usually down and under where the cable disappears into the deck ( spurling pipe) and stowing the cable in the locker, at sea when anchors were secured scraping off all grease and oil the same as all the other deck winches. I like seeing these old pictures as they bring back memories of how things really were especially when seeing the likes of old machinery like shown. The posed for pictures I would imagine when the same youngsters got to their first ship would of found out quickly that fings aint wot they should be. All this would be done under the eye of the carpenter. When someone replies to these old posts and one goes back realize how many get through without sighting, if Ian hadn't replied to post would never have seen for another lengthy period no doubt. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 28th September 2015 at 11:26 AM.

9. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boulevard Nautical School, Hull

hi there I was at the bns in 1943 when we were evacuated to the whitwood mining and technical college at Castleford. hull pupils were billeted in homes nearby eventually being all housed at Woolley hall Wakefield.lunches were taken in the dining room at the college afterwards we had the opportunity to learn to dance with the college girls. have many happy memories of those days.goole students like myself were allowed to travel on z daily basis being in easy travel distance. where have seventy years gone. Bernard payling

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boulevard Nautical School, Hull

Quote Originally Posted by bernard payling View Post
    hi there I was at the bns in 1943 when we were evacuated to the whitwood mining and technical college at Castleford. hull pupils were billeted in homes nearby eventually being all housed at Woolley hall Wakefield.lunches were taken in the dining room at the college afterwards we had the opportunity to learn to dance with the college girls. have many happy memories of those days.goole students like myself were allowed to travel on z daily basis being in easy travel distance. where have seventy years gone. Bernard payling
    ###you ever come across a guy named shady lane from goole.......well known AB old time sailor.

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: john

Hello John
    It's a long time since you put this on and your name has just rung a bell, I was at BNS 56-57 in the Pre-sea class, I remember an incidence with a John or Peter May who was up for 2nd mates in Sept 61 at the same time. When we finished Exams we all had a big booze up in the MN Hotel. I had a Vespa scooter which I hadn't used all week and was in the car park opposite the hotel. You had missed your last bus home and I lent you my scooter to get home, someone very kindly had drained the tank and just enough fuel to get you 100yards down the road when a bobby asked you what you were doing?
    It was explained to him that it had been lent to you by me to get home, he took you back to hotel and it turned out that that my insurance didn't cover another person to drive it. I convinced the bobby that I thought it covered another driver, but while waiting for me to appear someone told the bobby that he knew his boss and had to report but didn't think it would go no further.
    Anyway it did and a summons nearly a year later-Yes a year was issued for me to appear in court! I was away at sea on the due date, I got a letter from my dad saying that our local village bobby had a warrant for my arrest for non payment of a fine of £5 and what was it all about and don't surprised if they are waiting when the ship docked.
    I had forgotten about the incident when we arrived back in London I went to the police station in London with £5 but they said it was too much paperwork and was to pay it on arrival in Hull.
    We docked in Hull late at night and there waiting were the police who went to see the old man and I was promptly arrested because I couldn't pay the fine there and then. I had spent the fiver celebrating my 21st which I had at sea.
    The old man told them that I had to be at the shipping office at 10 to payoff and he would see it was duly paid.
    A big fine for it's time half a months wages!!! I can laugh now at the stupidity of the whole affair, my dad wouldn't it pay it to teach me a lesson!!
    If it wasn't you can have a laugh with me. By the way was your dad on trawlers?
    Regards Ian (Titch) Walker

15. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Boulevard Nautical School

Attended 1966 to 1969, like you say first time away from home but also time to grow up fast.

Three year course for Navigating Cadet and loved every minute of it. Then 1969 giant step to my first ship, signed up with FYFFES one month before my 17th b'day and then the good times began until I found out FYFFES employed lots of Cadets then worked them up to doing 3rd Mates duties for a year or so then looked for any excuse to fire you before they had to pay 3rd Mates wages to you.
    Made the most of it though and my time at sea was some of the best days of my life....would love to do it all again.
    Last edited by Michael Smedley; 20th January 2018 at 07:24 PM.

17. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: B.n.s.

From my memories Captain Allison was headmaster when I was there 66-69 and his wife taught R E, Mr Jones was also there and taught Geography and Seamanship.

19. Likes N/A liked this post
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast