Thread: Small World

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Small World

I have just done some Historical trawling and found this from 2009.

...............Roger Dyer, formerly No,123, Mess 13, TP/ST, T.S. Arethusa (Jan,1955 - May,1956)

Hello Mr Dyer, Roger Millard formerly no, 123 mess 13, Tp/St, T.S Arethusa May 1958 Dec. 1960.

Special duties, Glen Strathallen boiler boy, Captains Quarters, polishing CMDR Lemare,s ceremonial sword.

As is obvious,wonderful memories of early building blocks in my blessed life. I would guess we may find enough

ARE boys on here to man a Whaler or better still a cutter. Roger.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Re: Small World

Quote Originally Posted by roger millard View Post
    I have just done some Historical trawling and found this from 2009.

...............Roger Dyer, formerly No,123, Mess 13, TP/ST, T.S. Arethusa (Jan,1955 - May,1956)

Hello Mr Dyer, Roger Millard formerly no, 123 mess 13, Tp/St, T.S Arethusa May 1958 Dec. 1960.

Special duties, Glen Strathallen boiler boy, Captains Quarters, polishing CMDR Lemare,s ceremonial sword.

As is obvious,wonderful memories of early building blocks in my blessed life. I would guess we may find enough

ARE boys on here to man a Whaler or better still a cutter. Roger.
    Hi Roger,

Blimey, mate, it is indeed a small world......but what a wonderful coincidence !!! Between my leaving and your joining the personnel on Mess 13 would have completely changed I suppose (there would have been one other custodian of No.123 seperating the time we spent on the old 'Are'). Two of my youngest mess-mates when I left were Paul Anoots and Fred Shaw, but I feel certain they would have moved on to pastures new before you arrived. That said, I imagine the Officers and Maintenance Staff were much the same. In my day, 'Rookie' Edwards was the Div.Officer of TP/ST. Some of the others I remember were my nemesis, 'Tiny' Fuller (or 'Wiz' as some referred to him). He and I shared a mutual dislike for one another.
    I can still hear his booming voice when he took we poor unfortunates out in the cutter on a bitter winter's day. He seemed to take a sadistic pleasure in seeing our misery as he had us flogging our guts out as we battled to make some sort of headway against an ebb-tide which was hell-bent on sweeping us down to the Isle of Grain. "Stroke ! Stroke! eyes in the boat, hands the width of your shoulders apart",and so it went on. Woe betide any poor soul who took a hand off the oar to wipe a streaming nose. Not such happy memories of that particular gentleman, but most of the other Officers I had far greater admiration and affection for .....Willie Weightman, Shacks, 'Peggy' Thoms, and dear old Bob Morton the Band-master. I read of your 'Special Duties with mixed feelings. Boiler-boy on the 'Glen Strathallan' sounds alright but I'm not too sure about the 'Captain's Quarters' gig, although I did hear much later that Mrs.LeMaire (I think she was Dutch) was indeed a very nice lady. I always thought she was a bit shy. Apparently, their little daughter (I think her name was, Petra) grew up to be a lovely girl. During my time, my 'Special Duties' included that of Quartermaster (or 'meeter and greeter', if you prefer), alright in the summer but a bu---r in the winter, standing in that little cabin at the top of the gangway (they made us leave the door open even when it snowed). Swimming Pool attendant and Maintenance Mess boy was alright but my favourite was the two seperate stints I did as a Galley Boy with Head Cook, Stan Whitnall, and his, mate, Mo' Pavey. On 'duty nights' aboard, old Mo' would slip ashore to the 'Ship Inn' and sink a pint or three. He was always singing or whistling the same old song, "Ramona' - and I hear him still. It was a long working day in the Galley and required the wearing of clogs ( heavy and noisy but you got used to 'em ) Best part was we never went hungry and could have as much as we wanted. Do you remember the 'Chickenettes' and Fish Cakes they used to serve up? I absolutely loved 'em...I'm sure I saw something similar recently in the pet section of our local supermarket.....I was almost tempted...no, not really. Anyway, Rog', rather than bore our shipmates further, I shall P.M. you sometime in the next day or so ....I'm sure we have much to discuss, mate, and I look forward to it.

b.r.........Roger (and out)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Small World

Well Roger, I am virtually speechless. you have certainly awoken my memory. I don't remember the fish fingers and chicken,but recall ice cream on Saturdays for the smartest mess and fried eggs Sunday again for the same mess.
    please find attached your favourite seamanship teacher. He would occasionally use the rope end when one tied the knot incorrectly, (ouch) oh! and my leaving date was Dec.1959, the official date was Sept 1960.Mr fuller.jpg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just shows what this site can produce at times! Fantastic I think !
    Cheers

Down Memory Lane I say!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for your comment Doc, encouragement means a lot these days Roger M

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just noticed that Roger went to the Arethusa January 55. Same month and year I went to the Vindi..
    stan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Roger.
    Great picture it could have been taken at the Vindi, similar young boys, all desperate to get it right, thanks
    Cheers Des

8. Likes Doc Vernon, N/A, Roger Dyer, Steve Neale liked this post